Thumper696

Beginner Golfer from NY

16 posts in this topic Last Reply

Hello all! I'm Greg, from Long Island, NY. I'm new to the site and the sport. I have played a few times over the last few years for fun with guys from work but thats about it. I'm taking my first lesson this week , so I'll find out how good or bad the learning curve will be...updates will be posted! I am looking forward to getting input here from those who have been in the sport for awhile, and hope to make a few friends along the way. I am 50 yrs old and retired from the FDNY, so need something to keep me in shape and have fun in the process.

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

Welcome to TST.  Plenty of new friends to make, both from your area and around the world.  I hope your lesson goes well.  

Unsolicited advice:  a lesson is to tell you what to practice and is not, itself, the extent of practice.  I figure since you had a physically demanding job, you probably know this on some level, but I try to tell it to new people taking lessons so they can get the most out of said lessons.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

8 hours ago, Thumper696 said:

Hello all! I'm Greg, from Long Island, NY. I'm new to the site and the sport. I have played a few times over the last few years for fun with guys from work but thats about it. I'm taking my first lesson this week , so I'll find out how good or bad the learning curve will be...updates will be posted! I am looking forward to getting input here from those who have been in the sport for awhile, and hope to make a few friends along the way. I am 50 yrs old and retired from the FDNY, so need something to keep me in shape and have fun in the process.

Welcome to The Sand Trap. Let us know how your lesson goes.

Ok, so after my first lesson and 2 hrs of hitting different irons I think I may have found how this can be addictive. My swing speed was lower then I thought it would be and the grip was a little un-natural. There seems like the 3 basics is where I will focus on for now. Have another lesson next week and we will see how it goes.

41 minutes ago, Thumper696 said:

There seems like the 3 basics is where I will focus on for now. Have another lesson next week and we will see how it goes.

This is a very good instinct to have.  Keep up the good work and let us know as you progress. 

1 hour ago, Thumper696 said:

Ok, so after my first lesson and 2 hrs of hitting different irons I think I may have found how this can be addictive. My swing speed was lower then I thought it would be and the grip was a little un-natural. There seems like the 3 basics is where I will focus on for now. Have another lesson next week and we will see how it goes.

You don't even know, haha.  Good luck!

pt: where in Long Island if you don't mind my asking.

1 hour ago, RFKFREAK said:

You don't even know, haha.  Good luck!

pt: where in Long Island if you don't mind my asking.

Massapequa area

@Thumper696 you have a great course right by you to get better familiar with your game. Have you played Pennisula yet? Wide open course and a lot of fun. 

I have not played any course yet, I am brand new to golf. I have played for fun at a few fundraiser games while I was with the FDNY, but thats about it. I will definitely look into it as a course to play near me, many have said try Bethpage but I here it gets very crowded.

Bethpage is a pain the ass. Can’t speak about Black but the other 4 pack out in the thick of the season. Fyi Pennisula is only a 9 hole course. Great place to work on things and not feel rushed or out of place. 

Welcome to TST. Always nice to meet a fellow golf nut. Good idea getting lessons. If you ever have any issues or maybe you need some explanations on something you're working on there is a 'My Swing' thread where you can post videos of your swing and get some excellent advice. This site is a golf Mecca so enjoy and again, welcome.

Edited by Vinsk

On ‎8‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 9:40 PM, Thumper696 said:

Can't believe you retired from the job before getting into golf. I moved from the Island 7 years ago (still go up a few months a year) and all my buddies from the FDNY were always avid players. Bethpage is a great place for you to find them... OOPs. just read the whole thread, see you mentioned Bethpage already. Sorry. When I go back up, I use GolfNow to book times at a good price. Usually play out east, even though I still have a home about a 1/4 mile from Bethpage Park, in Farmingdale.

Edited by GrandStranded

One more thing. Since the range on 110 closed, it's tough to find a place in your area to go hit a bucket or two. Bethpage's range is horrible. Check out the one at SUNY Farmingdale. Not too crowded, cheap, and you can work on those fundamentals of your swing before you start booking tee times. Good luck!

Edited by GrandStranded

13 hours ago, Thumper696 said:

I have not played any course yet, I am brand new to golf. I have played for fun at a few fundraiser games while I was with the FDNY, but thats about it. I will definitely look into it as a course to play near me, many have said try Bethpage but I here it gets very crowded.

Thanks guys I appreciate the warm welcome.