IGNORED

1st Set of Irons

Thumper696
Note: This thread is 2060 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Looking for some input with regards to my first set of irons. I have only played a few times with friends and only for fun but I'm looking to pick up a set of used irons. I have my first lessons this week and I have the opportunity to pick up a set of AP2 714's for $200 in mint shape from a friend. I have heard that the AP1's are a better option but they will run around $800 used. The local pro shop said they would fit them if need be but said they should be good. Im 5'10 average build, 50 yrs old.

Is there anything I should be looking at that will help me as a new golfer that would eliminate the AP2's? Should I be looking at another set better suited to a new golfer?

While that is a good deal on a set of irons and one you should probably take a used set of AP1’s will not run you $800. I just bought a used set of AP1 712’s on globalgolf for $250 for 4-AW.

I do have a set of AP2’s as well and overall would recommend the AP1 for a higher handicap golfer. They are easily more forgiving on thinned and fat shots.

We do have a forum specifically for golf gear talk as well.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks for the advice, the more I read the more I see that the AP2 714's are geared towards the mid-low handicapper. The AP1's were the 718  model, may be they are overpriced and i should look at a few other shops (may have better prices). Can you recommend a few sets I should be looking at ?

20 minutes ago, Thumper696 said:

Thanks for the advice, the more I read the more I see that the AP2 714's are geared towards the mid-low handicapper. The AP1's were the 718  model, may be they are overpriced and i should look at a few other shops (may have better prices). Can you recommend a few sets I should be looking at ?

I personally really like this club categorization system called the Maltby Playability Factor. Lots of good golfers on these forums definitely take this into account along with things like fittings and simply getting to test irons.

Give this a quick read then each link for each manufacturers will have a really nice listing of sorts of the clubs they offer and the corresponding numbers on lots of specific measurements culminating in the actual MPF number on the very right.

https://www.golfworks.com/iron-head-mpf-ratings/a/870/

• Informative 1

29 minutes ago, Grizvok said:

I personally really like this club categorization system called the Maltby Playability Factor. Lots of good golfers on these forums definitely take this into account along with things like fittings and simply getting to test irons.

Second for reading MPF.  It's more important to know what the forgiveness of the club is than who it is marketed to.

Going from memory, Titleist AP1s definitely fit the bill as a great iron for a beginner and/or high handicapper.  Ping G-series are great, too.  By contrast, TaylorMade has had a few "SGI" irons that completely missed the boat on forgiveness. 

There's a school of thought that says to get unforgiving irons when you're trying to improve so you get that feedback.  I used to be in that way of thinking and am there no longer.  

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

My first set is and was Ping G30.  Great irons for me, a high handicap player

• Informative 1

Always remember, the same country that invented golf and called it a game, invented bag pipes and called it music.

Ping Eye 2's, Black Dot, Standard Length.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

11 hours ago, Grizvok said:

Give this a quick read then each link for each manufacturers will have a really nice listing of sorts of the clubs they offer and the corresponding numbers on lots of specific measurements culminating in the actual MPF number on the very right.

https://www.golfworks.com/iron-head-mpf-ratings/a/870/

Thanks for the info, I looked at the list and it looks like the Titleist AP2 714 is not the best choice for me. I have found a few irons that look like better choices, I just need to look around and find a used set of irons in my price range ($600 or less).

1 hour ago, Thumper696 said:

Thanks for the info, I looked at the list and it looks like the Titleist AP2 714 is not the best choice for me. I have found a few irons that look like better choices, I just need to look around and find a used set of irons in my price range ($600 or less).

I wouldn’t spend that much on your first set of irons. Spend like $250-300 MAX and use the rest on a great teacher for some instruction. I think that’ll take you further than just some newer or “better” models.

I bought my first set this year off Ebay. They are Adam's cb3, got the set for $189. I would recommend looking at Ebay for a used set, you can find older sets in great shape for a great price. 

From personal experience, I would look for something 5-PW and/or GW. I just bought a new set this year, chose the 4-pw/gw option which was an extra $75 or so. I never hit my 4 iron. 

In the bag:

Driver: :tmade: '07 Burner Draw 10.5 
3/4 Hybrid: :adams: Idea a205
Irons: :tmade: Burner Plus  

I have the 718 AP1s and like them very much. They are very forgiving especially in distance if you make a decent pass at the ball. $800 is pretty high for a used set, as they were only about $999 new. If you look, I would expect to find some closer to your $600 price point used.

As others have said, you don't necessarily need that investment as a beginner, because as your swing develops, your needs might change. Personally though, I feel the AP1s could carry you at least to a 10 handicap before you feel you need something more.

While I love my AP1s, other clubs that have been suggested are equally as good. The PING G30s, G's, and G400s are all great options, as are the Mizuno JPX range. Nice used 716 AP1s should be available well under $500. An older option is the PING ZING. I had a 5 iron in that and if I was looking for a bargain set, I might try to find a set of those.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Ok, so after my first lesson and 2 hrs of hitting different irons I think I may have found a winner. I found a set of  Mizuno JPX-EZ Forged irons 4-PW,AW  with FST KBS Tour 110 regular flex steel shafts  in nice shape for $395. I like the way they look and seem to hit them the best out of the ones I tried. Any feed back on these would be appreciated.

Nice, great find.  

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

5 hours ago, Thumper696 said:

Correction the Mizuno JPX-EZ (NOT the Forged) irons

You will love those clubs. Best wishes, -Marv

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

2 hours ago, Thumper696 said:

This is a little off the stated topic, but what Drivers in 10.5* should I be looking at. Im ok with a pre owned driver as long as it will benefit a new player.

Shaft is very important. You can’t go wrong with any of the big names but I’d be sure to try some different shafts and get it fit to your swing speed and tempo.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Note: This thread is 2060 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!