Sign in to follow this  
Chilidipper

Difference between range balls and game balls?

Note: This thread is 3844 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

31 posts / 75882 viewsLast Reply

Register for free today and you won't see this ad spot again!

Eventually found a topic using advanced search.

It seems the range buy range balls which can't be hit out the back of the range easily. My local ranges are 250, 200, 215 yards to the back fence and despite achieving 210 carry with balls at the 250 yard range, I can't hit it as far at the shorter ranges.

I will pick up some ProV1s/ Noodle+ and try them on a course.

I don't really notice much difference at all between range balls. I use a laser on the range with range balls and the distances with the ProV1x's I use on the course are pretty spot on. I think the main difference (assuming the range ball is in good condition) is spin, which you won't see much of on the range.

For me it greatly depends on the range. I've hit at some where I get more distance than with a premium ball. Others where it is considerably shorter.

my range uses these srixon practice balls which feel like butter and spin really well, just don't have a nice fancy core in them. They round it off to about 10% less distance. My driver drop zone is more and more consistently between 270 and 280. My drives on the range are going 230 ish as well as 60-70 feet uphill. If it were flat, I'm pretty sure it would be around 250, pretty close to 10%. The longer the iron however, the less consistent that fact is due to the spin characteristics. My 7 (usually 170), on the range hits around 145, the 6 is about 155, the 5 is about 170, 4 to 175, 3 to 180 ish. Given that's where the slope gets really steep and I'm hitting right into a vertical incline, I'd say 10% is not a bad ballpark guess of distance restriction.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Well at the range at my country club we have some Srixons and ill go to the range and hit a driver 170 to 180 and its Very straight.Then on the course ill hit one and itll fade and go 160 to 170 so i think it might make a diffrence. I play a Titleist NXT Extreme.

My usual range uses Top Flite Range balls and I'll carry my driver 220 ish at the range but I'll hit 260-270 on the course with my ball of choice. You can tell the difference from just the sound of the ball off of the driver and woods/metals. The range balls just have a duller thud to them. Funny thing happened last time I was at the range, I actually managed to knock the cover off of a ball. It was cut pretty bad to begin with so I just finished the job.

I was hitting besides the pro last month and he was complaining about his shots with his driver. I watched him hit a few and told him that I would take that distance any day. He explained that he lost significant distance with his driver and the range balls because he couldn't compress them like he could a Pro-V1. The range is owned by East Lake Golf Course, so they use good range balls (relatively speaking).

Note: This thread is 3844 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!