IGNORED

My Swing (ddbwdoin)

Note: This thread is 1089 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been Playing Golf for: 11 Years
My current handicap index or average score is: haven't kept a GHIN in a few years, shoot 82ish on a good day.
My typical ball flight is: push / push cut but with new irons and shaft fitting hitting baby draws.
The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: hitting a ball heavy enough that I can't muscle it down the fairway/close to a green

A little back story to this swing. For years I played irons with shafts too stiff and heavy, stock length S300 DG Stiff. After a great fitting at Club Champion I was fit into a set of Taylormade P790, half inch down, Aerotech Steelfiber i95's, 2 flat, and they adjusted the lofts to have equal spacing in the set. I am still getting used to the clubs but I have gone from a push and push cut to a nice high, baby draw. I am incredibly happy with how these feel, especially on my leading left hand that has suffered past injuries and diagnosed tendonitis. I felt like I was striking the ball really well but after viewing the video my caddie (my wife) took jeez... what an ugly swing. For years I have worked on some form of a stack and tilt swing and I have moved out of a bad habit of coming across the ball and my divots now shot either a square strike or coming in from the inside. I am just shocked at how close my hands come to my beer gut, jeez... no wonder my hand hurts!

I just wrapped up the Francis Ouimet Golf Marathon and finished up with 108 holes, unfortunately I missed my goal of 200! Picked up some pointers on how to rack up more holes from some vets! So excited for next year. I worked a 135 par 3 (basically everyone played from the reds to help rack up holes for charity) and I birdied the hole 13 times out of 54 holes finishing up +1 on that stretch. On a side note, I feel terrible for this grounds crew. We destroyed this tee box and 5 inches of rain two days prior left greens soft, the ballmarks were insane.

Please, take a look at this... laugh at this ugly swing, revel in it, toss some pointers, share your ugly swing stories.

Videos: 

You are a much better golfer than me, so take this with a grain of salt.....But it looks like you flip at the impact quite a bit, and that your swing in general is a little "armsy". I would say your priority piece would be a flat left wrist at impact...but some others here may point out something else.

Edited by HJJ003
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Two things stick out to me. (I'm not a golf coach either, but I am working on identical pieces in my swing, so they jumped out at me when I saw them in your swing)

• Head moves down and forward throughout the swing
    • Its possible there was some camera movement, but look where your head is in relation to the golf cart at address and then just after impact. It should stay in pretty much the same spot.
  • Hands getting flippy at impact like @HJJ003 mentioned
    • Look at the difference in left wrist between these guys and your picture on the right below (yours is just after impact, but your flip most likely started before impact) impact.png.6a0d6a5e41b0e8be114a3e399784aa58.png

start.png.f1ab8783185bdc6010c0cfb30ece1c4e.pngflip.png.9cd4e2c66cc37222a5da68a903da34cf.png

I would start here with Key #1 and then Key #3

Also, the down the line video camera angle is off. Read through this so you can get a better angle for the DTL view

https://thesandtrap.com/b/playing_tips/filming_your_swing

• Thanks 1

We really need a better DTL video here. I think @klineka's suggestion to work on your head movement is a good one. It actually looks pretty steady on the backswing, but it moves forward in transition enough to be a problem. But it's hard to say for certain without a better DTL video.

5 hours ago, klineka said:

Two things stick out to me. (I'm not a golf coach either, but I am working on identical pieces in my swing, so they jumped out at me when I saw them in your swing)

• Head moves down and forward throughout the swing
    • Its possible there was some camera movement, but look where your head is in relation to the golf cart at address and then just after impact. It should stay in pretty much the same spot.
  • Hands getting flippy at impact like @HJJ003 mentioned
    • Look at the difference in left wrist between these guys and your picture on the right below (yours is just after impact, but your flip most likely started before impact) impact.png.6a0d6a5e41b0e8be114a3e399784aa58.png

start.png.f1ab8783185bdc6010c0cfb30ece1c4e.pngflip.png.9cd4e2c66cc37222a5da68a903da34cf.png

I would start here with Key #1 and then Key #3

Also, the down the line video camera angle is off. Read through this so you can get a better angle for the DTL view

https://thesandtrap.com/b/playing_tips/filming_your_swing

I'm lucky my wife even got me in the frame, I'll have a tripod next time I go about this.

@DDBowdoin, some better angles and videos in slow motion would help.

You shift your body towards the target to cheat the flip IMO. I think the issue is you're not really rotated at impact so your left arm kind of slows down and your right arm overtakes it.

Note: This thread is 1089 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!