IGNORED

Club fitting: everyone says do it, how many actually do?

Note: This thread is 1967 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Fitting: everyone says do it, how many actually do?   

72 members have voted

1. 1. Did you get fit

• Yes
    • No

I kinda did. I been playing ping irons since ‘95 when I bought my 1st real set of clubs. I upgraded to a different set of pings this year. I had impact tape on for some 7 irons and driver to get swing speed and lie angle. That’s it though. My swing speed is right on the border of needing a stiff flex and knowing that I contain myself from really going after swings knowing that if I swing extra hard I’m prob not going to get a good result.

Ping G400 9 degree driver, 3 Wood and 3 Hybrid, Ping 2016 G 4-UW,  Ping Glide Forged Pro 52 degree, Ping Glide 2.0 WS 56 degree, Ping Craz-E Putter, Titleist Tour Soft balls

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I started out with clubs that I was not fitted for. The fact is, back when I took up golf, I had no idea you could get fitted for clubs. I bought a set used clubs and figured that was it. I thought it was up to me, after removing the rust, to make those clubs work. 

It was when I became serious about why I couldn't score like the pros, that I found out about lessons, and club fittings. I played basketball, baseball, track, and football. You found equipment that fit,  (sort of) in those sports. I guess I was fitted for shoes. Jock strap? 

How many golfers actually get fit for clubs? I have no idea. I suspect it's a pretty low percentage of all the golfers world wide. 90% (?) of forum members might say they were fitted. Golf forum members are for the most part, golfers who are serious about their games. The weekend warriors, and those who play a few times a month, or a year, I don't see on golf forms that much. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I would get fitted if I was buying NEW clubs. My clubs right now were used when bought. But I researched and tested them heavily beforehand. I have a old professional fitter friend who makes sure the shafts, lies, etc are right for me; we have changed shafts for better ones in clubs I otherwise liked. Good topic. Best, -Marv

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

I got fitted for my driver.    I believe in getting a proper fit.    

Many moons ago and guy fitted me to a ping putter without knowing exactly what he was doing and that putter didn't last long.   When I want new clubs I'm definitely getting fitted.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

18 hours ago, Patch said:

The weekend warriors, and those who play a few times a month, or a year, I don't see on golf forms that much. 

Regarding that comment, I'm definitely a weekend warrior and I definitely feel like I'm in the minority here. 

In the bag:

Driver: :tmade: '07 Burner Draw 10.5 
3/4 Hybrid: :adams: Idea a205
Irons: :tmade: Burner Plus  

3 hours ago, paulballs said:

Regarding that comment, I'm definitely a weekend warrior and I definitely feel like I'm in the minority here. 

I haven't even been able to be a weekend warrior with all this heat. Hopefully I will pick it up each weekend again soon. Best, -Marv 

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

I got fitted for my last set of irons.  Normally I wouldn't have but I had a unique situation.  I worked for Boeing for 30 years.  Back in 2016 when Boeing was involved with the XR driver, the company offered Callaway gift cards to redeem points from awards that I had received over the years.  I had accumulated 700 points I never redeemed so that meant $700 in Callaway gift cards.  I originally planned to buy a set of Ping irons, but this changed my direction.

I went to one of Callaway's performance centers and got fit, but I also opted for the Project X shaft in my XR OS irons.  It was a great experience, especially walking out having spent $250 on a new set of irons.

John

40 minutes ago, 70sSanO said:

I went to one of Callaway's performance centers and got fit, but I also opted for the Project X shaft in my XR OS irons.  It was a great experience, especially walking out having spent $250 on a new set of irons.

If you don't mind my asking, did you go to the super fancy Callaway performance center near you (run by Callaway) or the one at RDSA or somewhere else?  

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

I went to the Callaway Center at their corporate headquarters in Carlsbad, CA.  Had a very nice young lady named Amy do my fitting.  Ordered the clubs through her.  Went to Phil's BBQ (not Mickelson) for lunch afterward.

John

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...

I was fitted for irons for the first time last week. It turns out that my off the rack irons with standard length/lie and a stiff shaft were already a good fit for me. The only recommendation was a slight change in lie. Initially my fitter said I needed about 0.5 to 1.0 degree upright using a lie board. However I was not convinced that was accurate. So I requested to check my lie using a sharpie (read about that trick in a different thread here on TST) and the lie showed it was good.

I plan to get fitted for a driver and putter over at ADS here in San Diego. From what I read, they are pretty reputable.

-Jimmy

:nike: VR_S Covert 2.0 Driver, 3W
:pxg: 0311 X (3), 0311 XF (4-6), 0311 (7-PW, 52/56/60)
:titleist: 2016 Scotty Cameron Newport Select Putter

"That tiger ain't go crazy; that tiger went tiger!" - Chris Rock

On 8/8/2018 at 8:45 AM, paulballs said:

I posted this because I'm curious how much it actually helps. How many strokes is it actually going to save you? I generally think everyone wants to get better. Right now I'm not even breaking 100 again. I'd like to get back to the Mid 90s, I think I'd be happy there, but I don't see how a fitting is going to benefit me at all. 

I understand if you get to low handicap you obviously play a lot and have put in alot of time, effort, sweat, money to get there, and at that point why not. But I've seen numerous posts, guys brand new looking to buy some irons, and 9 out of 10 say "go get fit." I just don't see why that's the overwhelming advise, and curious how many people actually do it. By reading here it “seems like" it's a good 90%

Over the years, I have not noticed that getting fit for clubs made any difference in my handicap. Only lessons have accomplished that piece of magic.

My last fitting put me on the line between regular and senior shafts, so I just kept my current clubs until I get a bit older.

My guess is that it might be important if you are exceptionally tall, maybe have mastered a really weird swing, etc Probably off the shelf is fine for 90-95% of golfers.

Can I vote twice? 😂 I've just bought my second set of irons this year without being fit. I bought some 2016 TM M2s back in March/April. My other clubs where 10yr old and I felt that the gain in tech was worth the purchase. And now I just bought some Cobra F8 OL. 

In the bag:

Driver: :tmade: '07 Burner Draw 10.5 
3/4 Hybrid: :adams: Idea a205
Irons: :tmade: Burner Plus  

• 1 month later...

I did a static fitting online with the company I bought my clubs from. It’s not the same as a “real” fitting, but for my skill level and budget for clubs it was good enough.

If I ever decide to upgrade to some premium oem clubs I will probably get a proper fitting first.

• 2 weeks later...

We have what is called "Golf Expo" every spring. For the last two years I have gone and gotten the fitting for both my irons and my driver. It helps that they take the fitting cost off of my purchase. 🙂

They spent a great deal of time working with me and making adjustments to the shaft (multiple choices), the club head (on the irons - the lie angles), and watching me swing with my then current equipment.

Yes. Do the fitting.

Taylormade M4 10.5* (turned down to 8.5*)
Ping G410 LST 3 Wood
Ping G410 5 wood
Titleist F2 7 woods
Ping G graphite irons 5 - PW  Black Dot
Ping Gorged Glide Wedges - 50, 54, 58
Directed Force Reno 2.0 Putter
What an amazing game this is.

On 8/8/2018 at 9:12 AM, paulballs said:

I've been an on again, off again golfer for 20yr. The best I ever got was shooting consistently in the mid-90s 7-8yrs ago. Since then I haven't played until this year. 

Just reading around random threads about equipment, almost everyone says "go get a proper fitting." I've never done this. Only bought clubs straight off the rack. I don't know anyone that has ever done this. None of the guys I've ever played with have ever done it. So how many actually do? 

FYI the Taylormade Burner Plus irons you list in your signature have a Maltby Playbility factor of only 528 and are listed as conventional clubs.

image.thumb.png.ba4a1aaca030df6e0e6fe690de4b0270.png

A high handicapper could benefit benefit by going with a game improvement or super game improvement iron such as this:

image.thumb.png.40658b2ead9d28234c314c55381c419f.png

And drivers have improved so much in the past 10 to 12 years. I got fitted for a Ping G30 about 2 years ago. The fitting was reduced fro $100 to $50 because I made a club purchase. The driver was on sale for $249 as the new models had just come out. I got fitted for the whole bag and bought irons and woods. The driver has really changed my game. The Trackman results pointed to a shaft that was not stock. No up charge from Ping.

Worth the money IMO.

New member here, enjoying reading the thoughts.

I can understand an average player receiving some benefit to being fitted for a driver but being fitted for a putter seems overkill to me. Can someone explain the need for a putter fitting?

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, rustbelt said:

New member here, enjoying reading the thoughts.

I can understand an average player receiving some benefit to being fitted for a driver but being fitted for a putter seems overkill to me. Can someone explain the need for a putter fitting?   

The very short answer: a good putter helps you with two of the three keys to putting: "Bead" and "Speed."

Essentially, a good putter helps you line up accurately and hit your start line and control your distance/speed.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 1967 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!