IGNORED

Predict Tiger's 2019 Season

iacas
Note: This thread is 1555 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Tiger in 2019  

107 members have voted

1. 1. Assuming Tiger Woods is as healthy in 2019 as he was in 2018, how many PGA/European Tour events does Tiger win in 2019?

• 2-3
    • 4-5
    • 6+
  2. 2. Assuming Tiger Woods is as healthy in 2019 as he was in 2018, how majors does Tiger win in 2019?

• Administrator

Well, there's that… and now that the final major is over (but there are still tournaments Tiger could win), let's get a start on looking at 2019.

Vote in the poll above.

DkcPYjYX0AEFYJs.jpg-large.jpg

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas pinned this topic

I'm going with 2 wins, one of them being a major.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Since you accounted for health, I would bet that he wins two events.  The way he is playing is too good not to win...he's putting himself at the top of the leaderboard consistently, and his A-game is up there with the best players in the game.

But...I'd predict no majors, only because if I had to predict the season for any single player (DJ, Spieth, etc.) I'd guess no majors!  I'm pretty sure that every year, there is no player for which the Vegas odds on "will he win a major" give a better than 50/50 chance.  There are just too many good players and there are only four majors.

Man, do I hope I'm wrong, though!

- John

Three wins with one being major. I think he wins fairly early (maybe farmers) then wins at Augusta. Takes one more victory (maybe a WGC) sometime during the year. Ok maybe that’s more of what I hope happens then what I think will happen but oh well 😉

I usually wouldn't put too much stock into one tournament, but what he did this week amazed me. I wasn't as impressed as a lot of you were with his year up to this point. He appeared healthy, and played well at times but nothing I thought would have stood out in peoples minds over the season if the name "Tiger Woods" wasn't attached. This week, and today especially, was as close as I remember him playing like the old Tiger since he was, well, the old Tiger. To put up a round like that, hitting only 4 fairways, and having one putt defy gravity was amazing. Some of his pars impressed me more then his birdies. He has the rest of this season, and his offseason, to figure out his driver, and if he does,then you'd have to give him a good a chance to win any event he enters. Long story short, I went with one win, but could easily see more if he fixes his driver. Majors I went zero, only because as someone said earlier, I wouldn't predict anyone to win one. Too many good players out there now.

PING G400 Max 9*  Taylormade  M2 15*  Callaway Steelhead XR 19* & 22*   Callaway Apex CF-16 5-GW  Callaway MD3 54* & 58*  RIFE 2 Bar Hybrid Mallet 34"

26 minutes ago, GrandStranded said:

I wasn't as impressed as a lot of you were with his year up to this point. He appeared healthy, and played well at times but nothing I thought would have stood out in peoples minds over the season if the name "Tiger Woods" wasn't attached.

Yes and no. The media coverage is certainly magnified because he is Tiger, but at the same time, any PGA Tour pro in their 40s who was on the shelf for two years with debilitating back issues and suddenly came back to play like a top 25 golfer while being in contention for the last two majors is going to make headlines.

I'm not really sure there's even a good comparison out there. If Anthony Kim came back on tour next year and started making top 10 finishes in majors, it would be a big deal.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

5 minutes ago, billchao said:

Yes and no. The media coverage is certainly magnified because he is Tiger, but at the same time, any PGA Tour pro in their 40s who was on the shelf for two years with debilitating back issues and suddenly came back to play like a top 25 golfer while being in contention for the last two majors is going to make headlines.

I'm not really sure there's even a good comparison out there. If Anthony Kim came back on tour next year and started making top 10 finishes in majors, it would be a big deal.

I was referring there to his play before this week, where I believe he was just outside the top 50. (51, I think?) This week he was amazing. The last two days impressed me tremendously. As of now I definitely have him top 20.

Edited by GrandStranded

PING G400 Max 9*  Taylormade  M2 15*  Callaway Steelhead XR 19* & 22*   Callaway Apex CF-16 5-GW  Callaway MD3 54* & 58*  RIFE 2 Bar Hybrid Mallet 34"

Just now, GrandStranded said:

I was referring there to his play before this week, where I believe he was just outside the top 50. (51, I think?) This week he was amazing. The last two days impressed me tremendously.

He was 50 because he qualified for Firestone. And he was only that low because of the minimum rounds divisor which means his play had to be well above 50 just to make rank 50.

Bill

My Swing Thread

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, GrandStranded said:

I was referring there to his play before this week, where I believe he was just outside the top 50. (51, I think?) This week he was amazing. The last two days impressed me tremendously. As of now I definitely have him top 20.

51st from 656, though, and still with the 40 event divisor.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Just now, billchao said:

He was 50 because he qualified for Firestone. And he was only that low because of the minimum rounds divisor which means his play had to be well above 50 just to make rank 50.

Not try to pick nits here, but I thought he dropped to 51 after Firestone. No big deal though, as I said, I'm super impressed.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, GrandStranded said:

Not try to pick nits here, but I thought he dropped to 51 after Firestone. No big deal though, as I said, I'm super impressed.

He did.

Minimum divisor.

I voted 2-3 wins and 1 major. I had heard several analysts mention The Masters being his best bet. But after having the lead at The Open and runner up today at the PGA..hell he’s got a good chance at any of them. And Tiger at Pebble Beach? Good health continues....2019 should be pretty damn exciting.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

4 Wins, 2 majors. Health staying where it’s at, (or dare I say, perhaps improving a bit?), plus the offseason to get his driver sorted, he’s gonna go off next year. 

I am going 2-3 wins, one of those being a major.

He's going to be playing at three courses he's won a major at - Bethpage, Augusta, and Pebble Beach. Major comfort level there for him on those courses.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

6 hours ago, StefanUrkel said:

I said Tiger would win more than Rahm the next 10 years, and I was laughed at. The only guy I would buy stock in over Tiger for the next 10 years beat him today. 

FWIW - I'm still laughing, Rahm has 3 wins in the last year. Over the next 10 years I can probably name 10-15 players I'd take to have more wins than Tiger (especially since Tiger plays a limited schedule).
Starting with Koepka, DJ, JT, Molinari, Rahm ... heck I'd even pick Schauffele, Cantlay and maybe even Niemann (because youth will win out).

We can make a bet, I name 15 players and you get Tiger. Payout is $100 per player, whoever has the most wins in the next 10 years (Senior tour doesn't count, as Tiger would qualify by the end of the bet). We can make it 5 years if you'd like.

FWIW - I upped my guess from this year to 1 tour win and 0 majors.

Edited by Wally Fairway

Players play, tough players win!

2-3 wins and one major. His game is pretty good at the mo, but there are so many young guns coming through the ranks these day's he's going to find it tough to win more than that. You never know though, stranger things have happened.

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

I think he gets 3 tournaments, including one major. Either the Masters or the US Open (which is at Pebble ... how cool would that be for Tiger to win there again?). Who knows about the British - that's always I wild card. I doubt he'll win at the PGA at Bethpage, but you never know.

For the tournaments, I'm thinking somewhere in Florida. Probably Bay Hill, but maybe Honda or Valspar. I wouldn't be surprised to see him win in Mexico City, either. That's a course where you can hit a ton of irons and contend, which is perfect for him. Then probably the Memorial just because that's his jam. That would set up him perfectly for Pebble. I'm really talking myself into that.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Note: This thread is 1555 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!