IGNORED

Predict Tiger's 2019 Season

iacas
Note: This thread is 1533 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Tiger in 2019  

107 members have voted

1. 1. Assuming Tiger Woods is as healthy in 2019 as he was in 2018, how many PGA/European Tour events does Tiger win in 2019?

• 2-3
    • 4-5
    • 6+
  2. 2. Assuming Tiger Woods is as healthy in 2019 as he was in 2018, how majors does Tiger win in 2019?

He shouldn't be fourth. He's the best player of 2018 without a win, but as long as there are consistently good players that win every year and regularly get top 10s, it's difficult to climb past them without winning anything. Just by 2018 points alone (no divisors) he's still just 16th. With a few wins, he's certainly up there.

You could almost call his 2nd place at the PGA as a win. The 60 points is more than the winner gets in a lot of the tournaments.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Five wins, two of them majors.  Note that three of the majors in 2019 are at courses where he's won a major before.  

If the British Open rolls around without him having won a major, it will have been as long since his last major win as the gap between his first and fourteenth major wins.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

I do think he'll compile a couple PGA Tour wins. However, majors is going to continue to be so difficult for him to win. I think it's difficult for anyone, except maybe Koepka who is racking them up. But his A-game in 2018/19 may not be good enough anymore to beat a hot Dustin Johnson at Pebble Beach, or a hot Rory McIlroy at Portrush, or a hot Jordan Spieth at Augusta, or a hot Brooks Koepka anywhere. If those guys are on their game in those majors, I'm not sure Tiger can outlast them. This isn't 2007 anymore. Tiger's older and the quality of players is better. It's my opinion, but I think if the field was this deep from '97-'08, I don't think Tiger would have 14 majors. Maybe 9 or 10, but not 14. And Jack definitely wouldn't have 18. He may be in single digits. But that's a discussion for another thread.

Personally, I would like to see him more majors so I hope I'm wrong on my prediction. And if he does bring his A-game, it can definitely win a major. There are good sites for him next year. He's won majors on 3 of those 4 layouts. So we'll see what happens. Hopefully he can do it. I do think he at least ties Snead, though.

Edited by ChrisP

2 hours ago, ChrisP said:

But his A-game in 2018/19 may not be good enough anymore to beat a hot Dustin Johnson at Pebble Beach, or a hot Rory McIlroy at Portrush, or a hot Jordan Spieth at Augusta, or a hot Brooks Koepka anywhere.

Seriously?  Tiger's C game just came within a couple shots of beating Koepka's A game.  Let's give him a few more months of practice and see what he can do from the fairway.

I know everybody wants to think Koepka is unbeatable right now, but he's not unbeatable, he's just hot.  He's won two majors in a single year, and three in 14 months.  That's pretty hot, but not as hot as Padraig Harrington was in 2008, when he won two majors in a row, and three in 13 months.  By your logic, he should have torn up the tour after that, but his next (and only) PGA win since then came 7 years later, even with Tiger out of the picture most of those years.  And Harrington didn't win any Euro events during those years, either.

2 hours ago, ChrisP said:

This isn't 2007 anymore. Tiger's older and the quality of players is better. It's my opinion, but I think if the field was this deep from '97-'08, I don't think Tiger would have 14 majors. Maybe 9 or 10, but not 14

The field most likely is deeper now, but only incrementally, not a quantum leap.  Tiger was playing fairly well in 2000, and Bob May pulled even with him on the front nine of the final round of the PGA, then kept pace as Tiger shot a 31 on the final nine, to force a playoff.  Tiger was playing fairly well in 2002, winning the first two majors, and finished the PGA with four birdies in a row to "intimidate" the field, but Rich Beem didn't get the memo, and cruised in to win just like Koepka did.

If journeymen like Beem and May could do that when Tiger was playing the best golf the world has ever seen, then the fields were plenty deep back then.  If Tiger can win now at all, he can win a major.  His best showing this year, solo second, came against a star-studded leaderboard whom he spotted three shots at the beginning of the tournament. 

It's not a matter of whom he's playing, it's only a matter of how he's playing.  Yes, if DJ or Brooks or YJS gets hot, they can beat Tiger if he isn't hot.  But if a barely lukewarm Tiger makes a guy break the all-time scoring record to beat him, then a hot Tiger can still beat anybody -- if he stays healthy.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, brocks said:

Seriously?  Tiger's C game just came within a couple shots of beating Koepka's A game.  Let's give him a few more months of practice and see what he can do from the fairway.I know everybody wants to think Koepka is unbeatable right now, but he's not unbeatable, he's just hot.  He's won two majors in a single year, and three in 14 months.  That's pretty hot, but not as hot as Padraig Harrington was in 2008, when he won two majors in a row, and three in 13 months.  By your logic, he should have torn up the tour after that, but his next (and only) PGA win since then came 7 years later, even with Tiger out of the picture most of those years.  And Harrington didn't win any Euro events during those years, either.

I think that was a lot more than his C-game. My point was I don't think you're going to get much better than what you got last week with Tiger in his 40s. And if you say "he can shoot better" I'm sure Koepka was also saying "he could have shot better." Kopeka made some silly mistakes during the week just like Tiger did. He had a pretty lousy first round, too.

As for Koepka vs. Paddy, Koepka is much younger than Paddy was and I don't think he's dumb enough to change his swing all around like Paddy did. Paddy won 3 majors, tried to improve himself by making changes in his swing and screwed himself up. Kopeka is still young and getting better week-by-week, whereas Paddy was in his mid-to-late 30s, a little later in his career, and won 2 of those majors without Tiger playing.

The field most likely is deeper now, but only incrementally, not a quantum leap.  Tiger was playing fairly well in 2000, and Bob May pulled even with him on the front nine of the final round of the PGA, then kept pace as Tiger shot a 31 on the final nine, to force a playoff.  Tiger was playing fairly well in 2002, winning the first two majors, and finished the PGA with four birdies in a row to "intimidate" the field, but Rich Beem didn't get the memo, and cruised in to win just like Koepka did.

If journeymen like Beem and May could do that when Tiger was playing the best golf the world has ever seen, then the fields were plenty deep back then.  If Tiger can win now at all, he can win a major.  His best showing this year, solo second, came against a star-studded leaderboard whom he spotted three shots at the beginning of the tournament. 

It's not a matter of whom he's playing, it's only a matter of how he's playing.  Yes, if DJ or Brooks or YJS gets hot, they can beat Tiger if he isn't hot.  But if a barely lukewarm Tiger makes a guy break the all-time scoring record to beat him, then a hot Tiger can still beat anybody -- if he stays healthy.

It certainly could happen where Tiger can win more majors. I just think it's a lot tougher now than in 2000. I go back to what i said before: I don't think you're ever going to see Tiger's 2000 form nor his 2007 form ever again...nor even his 2013 form. I hope to God I'm wrong on that, but I think last week's about as good as you will get post-back surgery. There will be weeks where his putting or driving may be better, but maybe his irons aren't as sharp. We'll see how it plays out. I'm optimistic he'll win more; not optimistic you're going to see his A-game from 2000-2013 ever again.

Edited by ChrisP

• Administrator
26 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

My point was I don't think you're going to get much better than what you got last week with Tiger in his 40s.

He's gotten better all year. Why do you think he's at his peak now?

• Like 2

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, ChrisP said:

I think that was a lot more than his C-game. My point was I don't think you're going to get much better than what you got last week with Tiger in his 40s.

How much better do you think he has to get to win? He finished 2nd

1 hour ago, iacas said:

He certainly has room to improved with his driver.

Players play, tough players win!

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Because he's going to be 43 next year and very few players that have gone through what he's gone through and approach their mid-40s actually get better with time. I just think it's going to be hard for him to keep moving in the forward direction. I think he can play at the level he did last week for a couple more years. I've said on record a few times I think he's going to have swings of going up and down, kinda like this year. I guess seeing is believing for me on if he can take it up yet another notch. I'm happy that he's back playing well....I'm still just holding my breath a bit.

How much better do you think he has to get to win? He finished 2nd

I don't expect every single major for him to play like he did last week. But for those that he does, if he just improves improves his driving a bit, he can certainly win. But the other facets of his game also have to stay strong. And there's the issue that there are some damn good players out there that he has to beat out.

Edited by ChrisP

• Administrator
1 minute ago, ChrisP said:

Because he's going to be 43 next year and very few players that have gone through what he's gone through and approach their mid-40s actually get better with time.

Very few players have done anything Tiger has ever done. I hate comments like that; they fail to acknowledge Tiger being pretty special. "Very few players have won a U.S. Open by 15 and a Masters by 12." "Very few players have won 14 majors with and three U.S. Ams." "Very few players have won 79+ PGA Tour events." The list goes on…

Tiger is not "players."

I'm not saying he'll win again. We can't know. I just think that you can't be certain of much, and I think it's folly to say that that wasn't Tiger's C or B game when he couldn't even find a fairway with a 2-iron, and that he can't figure out the driver.

He's a rare specimen, and I think betting against him is folly.

• Like 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Tiger didn’t win a major this year, but man he came close. I bet next year he will win one and a couple of other tournaments. Why? There is no way to know the future, its just a guess and hope.

If It was 2008 and Tiger played like he did at Bellerive- he wins the tournament IMO. 

Tiger used to be able to win tournament fairly easily with his B game; I don’t think he can do that anymore against the fields that are out there. But what’s scary is that his B game now (which we saw at Bellerive) seems just as good as his B game of before. 

If he can continue to make improvements (mainly off the tee) I think his B+/A game is still good enough to consistently beat the best players of today. But that window  will close in a few years so I hope he can make hay quickly. I’ll say he wins three times in 2019 with one major (British).

• Like 1

18 hours ago, iacas said:

Very few players have done anything Tiger has ever done. I hate comments like that; they fail to acknowledge Tiger being pretty special. "Very few players have won a U.S. Open by 15 and a Masters by 12." "Very few players have won 14 majors with and three U.S. Ams." "Very few players have won 79+ PGA Tour events." The list goes on…

Tiger is not "players."

I'm not saying he'll win again. We can't know. I just think that you can't be certain of much, and I think it's folly to say that that wasn't Tiger's C or B game when he couldn't even find a fairway with a 2-iron, and that he can't figure out the driver.

He's a rare specimen, and I think betting against him is folly.

I definitely wouldn't bet against him. And I wouldn't be surprised if he keeps hitting the gas pedal, gets better and wins majors. I'm just stating what I think will happen. If I'm wrong, I'll come back here next year and say so. Wouldn't be the first time, that's for sure. You're right that Tiger is a different specimen and he could prove me wrong, and I hope he does. 

Sure Tiger missed fairways and made mistakes. Koepka did, too. Is that to say we didn't see Koepka's A-game, either? I just think the game is in a different place than 2000. I think it's much tougher to win majors. I think the guys at the top now are better than the guys at the top in 2008 (besides Tiger). So while I wouldn't say Tiger can't win a major anymore, the challenge is a lot tougher than it used to be.

Edited by ChrisP
  • Like 1

On 8/19/2018 at 9:34 AM, skydog said:

If It was 2008 and Tiger played like he did at Bellerive- he wins the tournament IMO. 

Tiger used to be able to win tournament fairly easily with his B game; I don’t think he can do that anymore against the fields that are out there. But what’s scary is that his B game now (which we saw at Bellerive) seems just as good as his B game of before. 

If he can continue to make improvements (mainly off the tee) I think his B+/A game is still good enough to consistently beat the best players of today. But that window  will close in a few years so I hope he can make hay quickly. I’ll say he wins three times in 2019 with one major (British).

Tiger's B game was almost as good as Koepka's A+ game and I agree, that's pretty scary for the rest of the field. The question becomes whether Tiger can figure out the tee shots. If he does that, he becomes a huge threat to win. 

On 8/14/2018 at 9:18 PM, Dr. Manhattan said:

He's currently #4 in points per start. Be interesting if he can keep that kind of pace going or perhaps even do better than that. Once he fills out closer to the minimum divisor of 40 events, I tend to think he will make it back into the Top 10 pretty soon. 

Woods has talented competition now. He will hover around #50 even with the rigged rating system

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Jack is best said:

Woods has talented competition now. He will hover around #50 even with the rigged rating system

He's 26th despite the minimum divisor of 40.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jack is best said:

Correct, Woods has telented competition (as he had back in his early years) so he has to up his game, like he has, in order to compete (and beat) them. To say he has come back from major surgery and playing as well as he is (better than many other major champs in the field) is testament to his will to succeed.

Tiger is no different from anyone elese (including you and me) when it comes increased competition and wanting to stay with it. Unless you are saying you roll over and give in when anyone raises their game over yours?

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

• Administrator

Tiger is fifth in the Sagarin rankings:

http://rankings.golfweek.com/rankings/default.asp?T=world

13 hours ago, Jack is best said:

He is 26th already despite having 22 events counted as "0 points." He will be in the Top 10 by next summer if he continues playing like we have seen this season. 

Note: This thread is 1533 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!