IGNORED

How often do you buy new irons?

rf53
Note: This thread is 1930 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

How often do you buy new irons?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. When do you replace your irons?

• Every year
    • Between 2-5 years
    • 6-10 years
    • 11+ years
    • There's nothing wrong with my mashie niblick.

I read an article recently that suggested because of improvements in technology one should buy a new set of irons every five years. While I subscribe to this concept with my driver and fairway woods, when it comes to my irons I have not seen the need. Is this golf club industry hype to get you to buy their products, or am I truly falling behind?

I own two sets of irons. According to the article I read, both are seriously outdated. The first is my trusty set of Ping Eye 2's that date back to the late 1980's. My second set are Macgregor 1025 CM's that are about fifteen years old. I love the classic Eye 2 irons, but the lofts on these irons are definitely old school, particularly in the short irons where the lofts represent one full club difference based on today's standards. My Macgregor irons also fall behind today's loft standards, but only by a degree or so. It is no wonder that today's iron manufacturers are claiming more distance. They have tweaked the lofts to the point where today's 8 iron is yesterday's 7 iron... but I digress.

Currently, I play a mixed set of the irons I own. In my bag are the Macgregor 3,4,5,& 6 irons, and the Ping 6,7,8,9,PW & SW. Weird, I know, to carry two 6 irons, but based on the old school lofts the Eye 2 6 iron is really my 7 iron, and so on down the line. I feel I hit these clubs really well (especially the Eye 2 scoring clubs), and I don't feel the need to spend $700 to $1000 dollars on new irons, but in the back of my mind is that little voice that tells me I am leaving a few strokes on the course every time I go out because I am playing old technology.

Comments? 

I am with you that every five years is not necessary really with irons or woods. Woods hit their max years ago with COR and CC limits, after that the differences are much much smaller. Keep making them lighter, add some bells and whistles, that's about all they are changing. Irons even less so, especially with players clubs where game improvement tech is not used or to a lesser degree.

That being said your clubs are pretty old. Not sure if you have ever reshafted them but that would be a definite in my book if you plan on keeping them. If you decide to change them the new irons out there do offer greater distance and forgiveness from where you are at. And remember since manufacturers put out new irons basically every year, you can often find better prices on previous models. Not sure what your fitting specs are but you could buy a year or two old model new and just have them adjusted. If you need longer shafts then maybe look at new current model since that is a bigger expense and I never recommend shaft extensions if avoidable.

Best thing to do is go hit some new stuff side by side with your old sticks on a launch monitor and see for yourself what the difference is.

I've had my irons since 2011. I don't really have much desire to replace them, mostly because if I did I'd just be buying a modern Mizuno or Titleist equivalent of the Nikes I already have, so the benefits would be minimal.

The only thing that makes me sometimes want to replace them is that the 6 iron's grooves are a tiny bit more worn out than I'd like.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

27 minutes ago, Adam C said:

I am with you that every five years is not necessary really with irons or woods. Woods hit their max years ago with COR and CC limits, after that the differences are much much smaller. Keep making them lighter, add some bells and whistles, that's about all they are changing. Irons even less so, especially with players clubs where game improvement tech is not used or to a lesser degree.

That being said your clubs are pretty old. Not sure if you have ever reshafted them but that would be a definite in my book if you plan on keeping them. If you decide to change them the new irons out there do offer greater distance and forgiveness from where you are at. And remember since manufacturers put out new irons basically every year, you can often find better prices on previous models. Not sure what your fitting specs are but you could buy a year or two old model new and just have them adjusted. If you need longer shafts then maybe look at new current model since that is a bigger expense and I never recommend shaft extensions if avoidable.

Best thing to do is go hit some new stuff side by side with your old sticks on a launch monitor and see for yourself what the difference is.

Thanks for the response. All my irons are fitted with DG S-300 shafts and the lies are adjusted based on a full launch monitor fitting I had years ago. Since my strikes are center cut, I assume the specs from that fitting are still good. I have wondered from time to time when it will be right to move from S flex to R flex, but I don't think I am there yet.

Yes, my irons are old, although the Ping Eye 2's seem to be still in play with many, and I hear they are considered among the best ever made. I don't know what I will decide, but I can't see myself letting the Eye 2's go, especially the wedges! Having said that, I have been looking at a set of Mizuno JPX 900 irons because they get pretty good reviews. Do you (or anyone out there) know if Mizuno offers these with DG S-300 shafts? If not, what shaft do they offer that would be most like the DG?

I’m certainly not one to get new irons often. Got my Zing 2’s in spring of ‘95. Had them until I bought my G’s in January of this year. I go through putters fast. Go through fairway woods. But with irons I get that comfort level and just don’t want to let them go.

Ping G400 9 degree driver, 3 Wood and 3 Hybrid, Ping 2016 G 4-UW,  Ping Glide Forged Pro 52 degree, Ping Glide 2.0 WS 56 degree, Ping Craz-E Putter, Titleist Tour Soft balls

My irons, FW's, and hybrids are  ~9 years old.  I bought a "new" driver last year; previous years model.  The wedges get replaced more frequently.  Replacing the grips periodically restores much of that "new club" feel; so does lightly buffing them with 150 sandpaper.

28 minutes ago, rf53 said:

Thanks for the response. All my irons are fitted with DG S-300 shafts and the lies are adjusted based on a full launch monitor fitting I had years ago. Since my strikes are center cut, I assume the specs from that fitting are still good. I have wondered from time to time when it will be right to move from S flex to R flex, but I don't think I am there yet.

Yes, my irons are old, although the Ping Eye 2's seem to be still in play with many, and I hear they are considered among the best ever made. I don't know what I will decide, but I can't see myself letting the Eye 2's go, especially the wedges! Having said that, I have been looking at a set of Mizuno JPX 900 irons because they get pretty good reviews. Do you (or anyone out there) know if Mizuno offers these with DG S-300 shafts? If not, what shaft do they offer that would be most like the DG?

I’m pretty sure Mizuno offers plenty of shaft options including DG S300.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

(edited)
23 minutes ago, Dunit507 said:

I’m certainly not one to get new irons often. Got my Zing 2’s in spring of ‘95. Had them until I bought my G’s in January of this year. I go through putters fast. Go through fairway woods. But with irons I get that comfort level and just don’t want to let them go.

There is certainly quite a bit of truth in the old saying that it isn't the arrow it's the fellow doing the shooting! If you follow the logic offered by the OEM's... These irons will shave three strokes off your game, that driver will shave two, this putter will guarantee another three... my 8 would turn into scratch and all I would need to do is swing my credit card!

Edited by rf53
  • Like 1

I think those 900s come with Nippon 105 stock but would assume the DGs would be a stock option also. That being said you might want to look at a sub 130 gram shaft option if you are thinking about going down a flex. DG also comes in lighter options (120 and 105) along with AMT options which are good if you need long iron launch help, if you want to stay with True Temper.

I know Mizuno is about to release the update to those 900s so you can probably get better prices now and still get the full custom fitting.

My current irons are 10-12 years old and i'm very happy with them, i don't plan on replacing them any time soon. 

Carry on my wayward drive

There'll be pars when you are done

Lay your weary wedge to rest

Don't you shank no more 

Not sure anyone needs new irons if you know your distances. That being said, I purchased some AP2's about 4 years ago and  I had i10s for 4 years before then. I increased yardage by 10 yards with the AP's. The benefit for you would most likely be yardage with the same swing. Some of it will be loft and so will be a "hotter" face (read technology.) I would expect that you would probably say to yourself, "why didn't I do this sooner. "

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

When I was buying clubs, it was every 10-12 years. I didn't buy new clubs for updated technology. I bought the new clubs, because the old set basically looked really beat up. 

I was never one to totally believe, on average, that newer technology made the game easier to play, with lower scores. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

4 hours ago, rf53 said:

There is certainly quite a bit of truth in the old saying that it isn't the arrow it's the fellow doing the shooting! If you follow the logic offered by the OEM's... These irons will shave three strokes off your game, that driver will shave two, this putter will guarantee another three... my 8 would turn into scratch and all I would need to do is swing my credit card!

There is some legit equipment impact and not every player can play any club. Give a beginner a set of blades and he is going to struggle. Give a guy was a swing speed in the 80’s a stiff shaft and see how well he hits his drives. Once you get a set that works for you though unless you grow or have major body changes you will much less benefit from newer clubs. Sure newer technology will help some. I have the same black dot on my pings as I’ve always had but I do hit the G a hell of a lot better than any iron I’ve played. Same lie angle. Swing speed is still normal flex although I’ve gained enough strength since I bought my zings that I am borderline stiff flex. 

Ping G400 9 degree driver, 3 Wood and 3 Hybrid, Ping 2016 G 4-UW,  Ping Glide Forged Pro 52 degree, Ping Glide 2.0 WS 56 degree, Ping Craz-E Putter, Titleist Tour Soft balls

Poll added.

I swap my irons about every 2 or 3 years, but I like irons a little too much. Some people like to upgrade their drivers all the time, I like to get new irons.

7 hours ago, rf53 said:

My Macgregor irons also fall behind today's loft standards, but only by a degree or so. It is no wonder that today's iron manufacturers are claiming more distance. They have tweaked the lofts to the point where today's 8 iron is yesterday's 7 iron... but I digress.

That's not why modern clubs have lower lofts and the lofts alone are not why they go farther than older clubs.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

3 hours ago, Valleygolfer said:

Not sure anyone needs new irons if you know your distances. That being said, I purchased some AP2's about 4 years ago and  I had i10s for 4 years before then. I increased yardage by 10 yards with the AP's. The benefit for you would most likely be yardage with the same swing. Some of it will be loft and so will be a "hotter" face (read technology.) I would expect that you would probably say to yourself, "why didn't I do this sooner. "

I couldn't agree more about the comment you made regarding knowing your distances. No matter what lofts your irons have, at the end of the day knowing how far they will make your ball travel more than anything else helps you score.

As for technology being the factor in distance, I have often wondered about this notion with a set of irons (drivers are a different story). I'm sure there is some of that technology stuff going on with new irons (particularly in the forgiveness department), but when a company bumps the lofts one or two degrees and then claims their new iron technology provides five to ten extra yards my hand immediately goes to my chin, and a "HMMM" sound comes out of my mouth. A good example is my trusty Ping Eye 2's vs my Macgregor 1025 CM's. When I hit my Eye 2 six iron I am using 32 degrees of loft, when I hit my Mac six iron I am using 30 degrees of loft. No duh the newer set goes further. It gets even more noticeable as you go to the scoring clubs where the Eye 2 PW has 50.5 degrees of loft and the Mac PW has 45 degrees, which is the loft on the Eye 2 nine iron.

In spite of the above, I still think I might benefit from new irons. I played nine holes yesterday and shot a 40. Despite the fact I left three strokes out there from missed puts, the little voice in my head is telling me that new irons would also help. Maybe I should spend the money on a few putting lessons instead!

24 minutes ago, billchao said:

Poll added.

I swap my irons about every 2 or 3 years, but I like irons a little too much. Some people like to upgrade their drivers all the time, I like to get new irons.

I wish I was rich like you.... 😁😂

26 minutes ago, billchao said:

That's not why modern clubs have lower lofts and the lofts alone are not why they go farther than older clubs.

Please explain in detail. I would like some hard evidence so I can convince myself, and more importantly my wife, that I really do need new irons!

10 minutes ago, rf53 said:

As for technology being the factor in distance, I have often wondered about this notion with a set of irons (drivers are a different story).

I agree with the loft components compared to very old irons. The i10s I had were relatively new but I am not sure how they matched up to ap's. The was no real promise of more distance with the AP's ad wise. What is different is materials and weighting. Tungsten inserts and thinner more reactive faces.... supposedly... or maybe I'm just buying what they are selling... They also "feel" really nice to hit.

Edited by Valleygolfer

Note: This thread is 1930 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!