IGNORED

Putting Tips

Dunit507
Note: This thread is 2034 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
3 hours ago, MrGolfguy67 said:

That's what i'm saying, a surprising number of putts are 'pretty flat' and the correct line is inside the hole.

Uhhhhh… no. Unless a "surprising number" is something like 10%… and I'm not even sure it's that high.

The vast majority of 10 foot putts break at least 2.5".

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Have you ever played the courses i play regularly? If not then it seems you could not know.

Carry on my wayward drive

There'll be pars when you are done

Lay your weary wedge to rest

Don't you shank no more 

16 minutes ago, MrGolfguy67 said:

Have you ever played the courses i play regularly? If not then it seems you could not know.

Your statement earlier implies that your referring to all courses. 

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

I try to remember: 99% of all putts that are short, won't drop...and us hackers underestimate the break....

3 minutes ago, Valleygolfer said:

Your statement earlier implies that your referring to all courses. 

Wrong. Dunit507 is asking for advice on making more 8-10 foot putts. I relayed my experiences that i have found many putts that range can be played inside the hole with good success, therefore suggesting to him to try that out (noting the exception of very slopey greens).

Don't you shank no more 

• Administrator
24 minutes ago, MrGolfguy67 said:

I know more than you seem to realize. I know how much 10' putts break from just about any angle on just about any green speed, and combined with the what I know about how much slope is required of greens to properly drain, and what the average amount of slope is… I can deduce quite a bit.

For example, a putt from 10' 30° uphill to a 2% slope on a stimp 10 green… breaks over 4".

The chart I'm looking at has very, very few 0s, -1s, and -2s. That's what "inside the hole" would require: a value of 0 (lip), -1 (one inch inside the edge, or one inch from center, roughly), or -2 (center of the hole).

It doesn't take very much slope for a 10' putt to break over 2" and thus not be "inside the hole."

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

With read, bead, speed, I've found you need good tempo - too slow or too quick will throw you off - one gets betters results when you have a tempo where you're not thinking and can just roll the ball

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

2 minutes ago, MrGolfguy67 said:

Wrong. Dunit507 is asking for advice on making more 8-10 foot putts. I relayed my experiences that i have found many putts that range can be played inside the hole with good success, therefore suggesting to him to try that out (noting the exception of very slopey greens).

You are implying that you know his course? Make more putts by guessing? 

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

38 minutes ago, iacas said:

I know more than you seem to realize. I know how much 10' putts break from just about any angle on just about any green speed, and combined with the what I know about how much slope is required of greens to properly drain, and what the average amount of slope is… I can deduce quite a bit.

For example, a putt from 10' 30° uphill to a 2% slope on a stimp 10 green… breaks over 4".

The chart I'm looking at has very, very few 0s, -1s, and -2s. That's what "inside the hole" would require: a value of 0 (lip), -1 (one inch inside the edge, or one inch from center, roughly), or -2 (center of the hole).

It doesn't take very much slope for a 10' putt to break over 2" and thus not be "inside the hole."

What? For me its one quick look and fire, when its my turn to putt the ball is rolling at the hole in less than 30 seconds. It's all the over analyzing and walking around trying to find the break that makes rounds take over 3 hours. Its maddening.

Don't you shank no more 

• Administrator
1 minute ago, MrGolfguy67 said:

What? For me its one quick look and fire, when its my turn to putt the ball is rolling at the hole in less than 30 seconds. It's all the over analyzing and walking around trying to find the break that makes rounds take over 3 hours. Its maddening.

That has absolutely nothing to do with what I said.

Or the BS you were talking about with 10 footers being inside the hole.

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, MrGolfguy67 said:

Its not BS when its reality.

You’ve shared nothing that’s reality.

The vast majority of putts from 10’ break > 2”.

I have had my putting woes for a number of years.  Pretty solid player for the most part but just never seemed to make putts that I felt I should make.  I have had people tell me that I take the putter back outside, I loop it, I don't take it back on line, etc.  I have struggled with trying to get this right.  I could concentrate on watching my stroke with the putter and they were right...I was all over the place.  

Now...have I turned this around completely...not by any stroke of the imagination but I have definitely improved.  I found that most of my problem was my stance.  My stance promoted me taking the putter back to the outside and the loop it or sort of cut across the line.  I got 2 yardsticks and put them down with about a putter head and a half width apart and then tried different address positions and stances until I found one that promoted a pretty clean back and forth stroke with no loop or taking it outside.  I had been crouched too much, my hands were too low at address also.  After all that, it comes down to being able to read the break and speed.  Then, putt with some confidence.  If I misread a putt but hit it on the line I was looking and speed i was expecting...then all is not completely lost.  I also found that I was consistently low of the hole on breaking putts.  Had to work on reading the break better and giving the ball a chance to go in.  As I was told...there is more of the cup for the ball to fall into if the putt is on the high side.  But on the low side of the hole, you have reduced the area of the cup the ball can fall into significantly.

So, I would suggest you have someone watch your stroke or even film your putting stroke and see where the putter head is going.  May not make any difference at all for you but I can tell you...it has saved me several strokes on the greens pretty much every round.  Last week I had a round with 5 birdies and that had been almost unheard of for me in recent years.  

Edited by RickK

Bag: Titleist
Driver: TM RBZ 9.5
Fairway metals: TM RBZ 3 wood
Hybrids: TM RBZ 3, 4 and 5
Irons: TM Burner 1.0 6 thru LW stiff steel shafts
Putter: Ping B60
Ball: TM Tour Preferred X or ProV1x
Check out littlejohngolfleague.com  A Greater Houston TX traveling golf league.

Appreciate the responses. I went out after work yesterday and averaged 1.7 putts per hole. Good day for me. Typically I’m 1.8-2.0. Actually made a couple. Was really close to making a few more. Dropped one of those 8-10ft birdies. Lags were all within a couple feet on longer putts and the one 3 putt I had was a wedge from 75-80 that I gave a little too much juice on and left myself a long bender from above the hole, which i nearly holed, but lipped out the 5ft comeback.

The main reason I was looking for some advice is I’m basically rebuilding my putting stroke. I’ve gone from an anser that I’ve been using for about 2 years (and a Pal prior) to a Cra-ze. Give myself a different look. I’ve also gone with a shorter putter. I wanted to try going with something that allows my arms to hang freely and lower opposed to the longer shaft on my previous putters. The reason for my change is that I’ve considered myself serviceable but not good at putting. I score despite of my putting and don’t feel like I’m getting any better.

Anyhow I do believe that there is some truth to the idea of not giving up the hole as often. I do think I’ve been playing the ball too far outside. The swing thought that I went with yesterday for putting was to really made a stroke as opposed to hitting the ball.... get the thing rolling. I think I’ve been kind of stabbing at it instead of stroking it. I also really focused on the lower body and keeping that still. Focused on hitting the sweet spot. 

I have the club championship in a little over a month and I feel pretty good about being able to make this change and getting my putting to where I want it to be for the weekend. I’ve been playing exclusively on my home course and really trying to make sure I maintain the feel for the speed of the greens. The greens there are the quickest of any of the courses i routinely play so I’ll be limiting myself to that course only to be sure I’m as comfortable as possible going into the event. 

All in all I think I had a putting day that will give me confidence yesterday. I had a week and a half off. Didn’t strike the ball well. Only hit 3 fairways. Only hit 6 greens. Managed to get up and down 4 times and shoot an 80. Ball striking will come back with consistent play but building confidence with the putter will be the key. Think I have a lot of good advice to think about in the quest to become a better putter. 

Ping G400 9 degree driver, 3 Wood and 3 Hybrid, Ping 2016 G 4-UW,  Ping Glide Forged Pro 52 degree, Ping Glide 2.0 WS 56 degree, Ping Craz-E Putter, Titleist Tour Soft balls

The other nice confidence boost was being perfect from about 6ft or so in which includes the up and downs. Nothing boosts confidence quite like hitting a good chip and saving a par from that 4-6ft range. Those putts that you just have to have. Nothing hurts confidence more than missing a putt to save par after you just hit a good chip. I don’t feel like I threw any strokes away yesterday with bad misses in that gotta have range which will certainly help the confidence going forward.

Ping G400 9 degree driver, 3 Wood and 3 Hybrid, Ping 2016 G 4-UW,  Ping Glide Forged Pro 52 degree, Ping Glide 2.0 WS 56 degree, Ping Craz-E Putter, Titleist Tour Soft balls

Glad things are improving as I'm sure you know, confidence breeds confidence.

When you focused on keeping your lower half still, did it feel different from how you normally putt?

I don’t think the lower half was a huge factor. I thought about it when I was on the practice green some but i didn’t want to flood myself with swing thoughts on the course. What I thought about before each putt was keeping my head down through impact and really focusing on the sweet spot and staying down through impact. 

Really only one putt yesterday I was really unhappy with. Hit a wedge into a par 3. Was at least 20ft short of the hole. Crater for a ball mark where I landed and sucked it back that I had to putt back through. It was uphill then back down with 6” or so of left break coming back down. I hit the putt up and didn’t give it enough to get back down. Left it 3-4ft short. Never gave it a chance. Tough putt tho since you are coming downhill to the hole and don’t want to run it by. Still felt like being that short was a bad effort. 

Note: This thread is 2034 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!