IGNORED

My Swing (Hugh Jars)

Hugh Jars
Note: This thread is 1005 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

7 hours ago, boogielicious said:

@Hugh Jars,

Do you have a Member Swings thread? Also, I use Evolvr for instruction. It is inexpensive and has been very helpful.

Yep, I have a swing thread.

I went to the range today and focused on reducing my wrist hinge. Rather, I just stopped consciously thinking about doing it. Seemed to strike the ball ok. The rubber mats of the range really give false confidence I find.

26 minutes ago, Hugh Jars said:

Yep, I have a swing thread.

I went to the range today and focused on reducing my wrist hinge. Rather, I just stopped consciously thinking about doing it. Seemed to strike the ball ok. The rubber mats of the range really give false confidence I find.

https://youtu.be/LZnKtSM-JaM

Post this in your thread.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
4 hours ago, Hugh Jars said:

That's got nothing to do with your steepness, as you can see:

Analyzr Image Export.jpg

Here's the deal:

• You don't turn your body properly. Good depth comes from a good turn.
  • You get even steeper from there.

I'm also 100% positive that, at some speed, you can swing down completely shallow, even too shallow. Thing is, you likely won't ever actually put in the time that it'll take to do that. To swing the right way even if the ball only goes 30 yards while you're practicing.

Yet that's almost what it might take.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

5 hours ago, iacas said:

That's got nothing to do with your steepness, as you can see:

Analyzr Image Export.jpg

Here's the deal:

• You don't turn your body properly. Good depth comes from a good turn.
  • You get even steeper from there.

I'm also 100% positive that, at some speed, you can swing down completely shallow, even too shallow. Thing is, you likely won't ever actually put in the time that it'll take to do that. To swing the right way even if the ball only goes 30 yards while you're practicing.

Yet that's almost what it might take.

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it.

I have been working on more shoulder turn. The vid below from a session I had on the range earlier this week.

Ive just got to a point with it though where I dont know if Im doing the wrong thing and ingraining into my muscle memory poor habits attempting it. Im not striking the ball consistently or cleanly when I attempt more shoulder turn, as opposed to my normal turn where I am actually striking it relatively well. And from my own analysis I dont think Im swinging the club more shallow as a result. So something is going wrong, hence prompting me to post this thread.

Id appreciate your feedback from the vid below.

• Administrator

You're not really doing many of these:

Definitely not the "short" or "slow" or "success" ones.

4 minutes ago, Hugh Jars said:

And another vid of attempting to incorperate more hip turn…

… at full speed and length.

Long story short… you're not gonna change anything working at full speed with full length swings.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

17 minutes ago, iacas said:

You're not really doing many of these:

Definitely not the "short" or "slow" or "success" ones.

… at full speed and length.

Long story short… you're not gonna change anything working at full speed with full length swings.

@Hugh Jars This is very important. I spend hours on the range. Often I'll literally be on the range from about 8am to 12-1pm. I know it's painstaking to do really, really slow swings and to meticulously focus on positions at that speed. But trust me it's the best if not the only way to really make changes. You're not just trying to develop 'muscle memory' you're having to undo many comfortable feelings that are mechanically hurting your swing. Going at it with full swings thinking you'll 'get it' will drive you mad. Read the post from @iacas on the five "S"s. One more thing, the thread titled, 'How to make a centered pivot' that you were given a link to...go to page 7 and see the first post by @mvmac. It's a fantastic rear view of a great swing. Watch his hips and how he makes his back swing. It's in slow motion which is actually a little faster than you should be going to develop the right feels with the right positions of your swing.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Thanks. I’m prepared to put in the work and start with small swings. I did the same to get more loose in my swing and release more, and have put in many hours working improving my chipping and putting. 

Anyone know where can I find information on how I can progress from half swing, and what correct, slow half swings look like? Everything is based on a full swing, I’ve put in hours trying to go from 7 oclock to 1 o’clock doing half swings as suggested by a pro I had a lesson with. But another “pro” on here saw it and said it was wrong albeit offering nothing else. 

Edited by Hugh Jars

• Administrator

It's more about slower swings. You can make full swings, but make them "successes" (at doing the things the right way), and then only work at the speed where you can do that 80-90% of the time.

• Thumbs Up 1

One thing to try when making half swings is to try and feel like you're making a 1% swing. Just feel like you literally take a smidge of a backswing and go. Try and think I want the club to go back 6 inches. 

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, nevets88 said:

One thing to try when making half swings is to try and feel like you're making a 1% swing. Just feel like you literally take a smidge of a backswing and go. Try and think I want the club to go back 6 inches. 

I don’t want him making half swings. Half SPEED swings (or slower) yes.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, iacas said:

I don’t want him making half swings. Half SPEED swings (or slower) yes.

Ah, my mistake. Disregard that.

• Thumbs Up 1

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Been working on the half speed swings. Looking at the vid I think I need to release more in my follow through. Will keep practicing these.

https://youtu.be/py8kbl-gD1

Had a go a couple of days ago doing some pitch shots using alignment sticks. Feels very weird. What’s everyones recommendation using these? I can see I’m not rotating my hips still using them. 

https://youtu.be/xZNiKrlCdI8

not sure why they didn’t imbed for you.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• Administrator

Dude, c'mon…

Analyzr Image Export.jpg

Get a mirror. Put in the time and change the picture.

• 10 months later...

Hello all, 

I've somewhat graduated from slice school by working on a stronger grip and reducing wrist extension/increasing wrist flexion in the backswing and downswing. To be honest I've been thrilled at just being able to hit the ball left. Initially it was draws and weak pulls, but now I'm starting to hit some huge draws, hooks and some big pulls, particularly with my longer irons.

Here is where I was end of June, in horrible slice land:

Here is where Im at now, in hooks and pull land:

I know my swing has a lot of things to work on, but any advice to stop these hooks and pulls would be appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator
On 8/19/2019 at 11:12 PM, Hugh Jars said:

I know my swing has a lot of things to work on, but any advice to stop these hooks and pulls would be appreciated.

They're pull-hooks, and pulls, which means your path is to the left. Sometimes the face is square to that path (pull), and sometimes it's closed to that path (pull-hook).

Put an alignment stick in front of you, on the target line, and learn to start the ball to the right of it while hitting pushes and draws.

01.jpg

My hunch is you'll do well to learn to use your lower body, too. You're very flat footed there.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

On 9/3/2019 at 8:15 AM, iacas said:

They're pull-hooks, and pulls, which means your path is to the left. Sometimes the face is square to that path (pull), and sometimes it's closed to that path (pull-hook).

Put an alignment stick in front of you, on the target line, and learn to start the ball to the right of it while hitting pushes and draws.

01.jpg

My hunch is you'll do well to learn to use your lower body, too. You're very flat footed there.

Thanks, Ill work on this.

Note: This thread is 1005 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!