IGNORED

Journey to the Mackenzie Tour: One Amateur's Pipe Dream

Diece
Note: This thread is 1475 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
Just now, Diece said:

No, but being around better players is going to naturally make me a better player.

Minimally. You're not just gonna get better by osmosis or something.

Just now, Diece said:

Instructor -

Myself.

Haven't found a teacher I trust.

Then you've got almost no chance.

People here have recommended two things to you, and you don't seem to have really done or cared about either:

Have you done either of those things? Yeah, they're both "my" things, but they aren't recommended because people are trying to suck up. They're recommended (and have sold really well) because they're good.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

11 minutes ago, iacas said:

Minimally. You're not just gonna get better by osmosis or something.

Then you've got almost no chance.

People here have recommended two things to you, and you don't seem to have really done or cared about either:

Have you done either of those things? Yeah, they're both "my" things, but they aren't recommended because people are trying to suck up. They're recommended (and have sold really well) because they're good.

I actually checked out both.

And I don't know you well enough to consider purchasing...yet.

But I do appreciate the linking of the threads in the other page.

Edited by Diece

11 minutes ago, Diece said:

I actually checked out both.

But I do appreciate the linking of the threads in the other page.

Evolvr has many instructors for you. You can be certain you’ll find one to get you on track. It’s the next best thing (better if you include cost/time) to a live instructor. Look, nobody wants you to fail. Nobody is jealous or has any ill will towards you. I know what tough goals and dreams are. I made it through medical school from a rough background. But with this goal of yours you’re wasting valuable time. You need to get a well structured plan with a professional instructor. You can’t do this willy-nilly on your own. Being that your location is not convenient for golf instruction Evolvr could be great for you. I promise you @iacas is beyond legitimate. He knows what he’s talking about. He’s taught players at the tour level, collegiate and beginners. I’m pulling for you, I really am. Please look into some professional instruction. You can cancel Evolvr anytime. But I guarantee with your desire you won’t. You just need direction. Cheers.

Edited by Vinsk
  • Like 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, Diece said:

Uhm? Okay.

How about…

Or, I don't know, the countless PGA Tour, LPGA Tour, college players… etc. that have bought and read it? 😛

Dude, seriously.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

@Diece, going by your thread it's obvious you have the ambition and desire but (and im just playing devils advocate here) do you have a back-up plan to fall back on? Seems you are putting all your eggs in one basket.

Little story, if i may. I have a family member who was a top uk amateur back in the 60's & 70's. In 1970 he was approached by a sports agent after a tournament who wanted him to turn pro and sign for him. He asked the agent the pro's and cons (bear in mind this is the 70's and things have changed a bit). Agent said the pro's were fame and money if he played his best golf. He would be playing with the likes of Tony Jacklin etc. and traveling to new countries.

Cons were that he would only make a living if he played week in week out, came with his A game each time, missed cuts would mean more than loss of earnings, it could be loss of sponsorship or offers, decline of invites and even loss of representation by the agency. The agent finished by asking whether the were plans to start a family at any point in the future. When the answer came back as "i'd like to" the agent advised not to bother as he would never see them due to schedule.

When i asked him about why he decided not to turn pro he said it was the hardest decision he ever had to make but for him he chose the correct one. Firstly, he wanted a family and they would always come before his golf, and secondly he loves golf and didnt want it to become a job as opposed to his passion. He's in his early 70's now but still an amazin golfer and has no regrets.

This isnt to put any dampner on your goal, just sometimes good to see the other side of the coin. Just make sure the pro's for you far outweigh the con's.

Edited by RussUK
  • Like 1

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

6 hours ago, iacas said:

Uhm? Okay.

How about…

Or, I don't know, the countless PGA Tour, LPGA Tour, college players… etc. that have bought and read it? 😛

Dude, seriously.

How about this.

What's the rate that you charge for a 30 minute Skype call?

I don't doubt that you have insight toward the game and if we're going to talk, I'd rather do it in the best manner possible.

Edit: Just saw that you charge 80 an hour for a lesson. How does 40 dollars for the sessions sound?

56 minutes ago, RussUK said:

@Diece, going by your thread it's obvious you have the ambition and desire but (and im just playing devils advocate here) do you have a back-up plan to fall back on? Seems you are putting all your eggs in one basket.

Little story, if i may. I have a family member who was a top uk amateur back in the 60's & 70's. In 1970 he was approached by a sports agent after a tournament who wanted him to turn pro and sign for him. He asked the agent the pro's and cons (bear in mind this is the 70's and things have changed a bit). Agent said the pro's were fame and money if he played his best golf. He would be playing with the likes of Tony Jacklin etc. and traveling to new countries.

Cons were that he would only make a living if he played week in week out, came with his A game each time, missed cuts would mean more than loss of earnings, it could be loss of sponsorship or offers, decline of invites and even loss of representation by the agency. The agent finished by asking whether the were plans to start a family at any point in the future. When the answer came back as "i'd like to" the agent advised not to bother as he would never see them due to schedule.

When i asked him about why he decided not to turn pro he said it was the hardest decision he ever had to make but for him he chose the correct one. Firstly, he wanted a family and they would always come before his golf, and secondly he loves golf and didnt want it to become a job as opposed to his passion. He's in his early 70's now but still an amazin golfer and has no regrets.

This isnt to put any dampner on your goal, just sometimes good to see the other side of the coin. Just make sure the pro's for you far outweigh the con's.

Interesting story, what does he do now?

Thanks for sharing this.

Edited by Diece

1 hour ago, Diece said:

How about this.

I don't doubt that you have insight toward the game and if we're going to talk, I'd rather do it in the best manner possible.

Edit: Just saw that you charge 80 an hour for a lesson. How does 40 dollars for the sessions sound?

Interesting story, what does he do now?

Thanks for sharing this.

He's happily retired now, more time for golf! Spent most of his working life in either industrial manufacturing (big in the UK back in those days) or prior to his retirement in the automotive sector.

If i could swing like him i'd be one happy camper. Started playing at 10yrs old with some hickory clubs he got from a car boot sale so he's been playing 60+ years.

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Diece said:

How about this.

I don’t want to teach you via Skype. I’ve never said that.

For <$30 you can get the book, though.

3 hours ago, Diece said:

426145DF-0695-4F3F-8FD2-1EB10EA3EF0F.jpeg

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

• Administrator

Look, @Diece, I'm done suggesting it. I've never forced the book on anyone, but those with serious goals or big plans often see the value in it themselves, and are happy with the decision to pick up a copy in the end.

Good luck to you. Please learn to practice properly, and please find an instructor with whom you can work. You will not succeed alone.

• Like 1

Okay, so 40 isn't gonna cut it. 

What do you want for 30 minutes of your time?

Again, I'm not looking for a lesson out of this. More interested in what you have to say and what you've seen in your years as a teacher.

Edited by Diece

18 minutes ago, Diece said:

More interested in what you have to say and what you've seen in your years as a teacher.

Keep (or start) reading other parts of the forum.

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

• Administrator
20 minutes ago, Diece said:

Okay, so 40 isn't gonna cut it. 

What do you want for 30 minutes of your time?

Again, I'm not looking for a lesson out of this. More interested in what you have to say and what you've seen in your years as a teacher.

I’m not really interested in that. Just look at a bunch of topics like @boogielicious said.

Or again buy the book.

Don't know if you have access to local teaching pros...but...go to your local teaching pros and book 30 minutes...They are great folks and will give you their thought and direction...

The big but...they are going to tell you the truth...

@Diece - what is your swing speed and typical carry distances for Driver & 6 iron? 

From my limited knowledge, the typical differences I see between regular courses & the  types that host bigger events are length & difficult greens. You've already said that your putting requires improvement, but I'm just wondering how you measure up off the tee? 

1 minute ago, Moxley said:

@Diece - what is your swing speed and typical carry distances for Driver & 6 iron? 

From my limited knowledge, the typical differences I see between regular courses & the  types that host bigger events are length & difficult greens. You've already said that your putting requires improvement, but I'm just wondering how you measure up off the tee? 

With the driver, the average is 290ish. SS is 107, with roll I can reach 300. 

I'm really skinny though, which is why I'm working out regularly now to boost my speed and endurance.

I'd have to gain some more distance if I want to compete on the Mackenzie.

And my 6 iron, 185

16 minutes ago, uitar9 said:

Don't know if you have access to local teaching pros...but...go to your local teaching pros and book 30 minutes...They are great folks and will give you their thought and direction...

The big but...they are going to tell you the truth...

Not a single pro here has created a player of any decent caliber.

If I'm gonna invest in getting taught, I'm gonna seek the best I can afford + someone I feel I can really trust. 

29 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

This is probably a good place to start to get a sense of the instruction offered.  Really, this will probably tell you more than a 30 minute Skype interview ever could.

Thank you, I'll have to look at this more in-depth.

12 hours ago, Diece said:

Although, I don't think reaching their level is unachievable.

I know what you mean, but don't let that confuse you about being able to actually do it.  I watch TV and say to myself, often, that I can hit all the same shots those guys make.  And yeah, it's probably true, but not in a single round and not nearly close to the same consistency.  I make more costly mistakes per round and other things.  I will never give up my dream to play in a PGA Tour event or US Open no matter what anyone says, but I also accept that the chances are minimal.  That said, I also work in the industry so I'm never far.  I love what I do now, but I will always look to be a better and better golfer. 

Start looking for a back up plan that will allow you the time to practice. It may be something like a graveyard shift somewhere, giving you the day to practice.  Like Vinsk said, no one here wants you to fail, but many of us had/have the same dreams.  It's best that you really understand the wall you have to climb, so you can prepare/plan now.

As far as an instructor, I don't normally do this.  But if you'd prefer the more personal touch over evolver, look into Jeff. http://jeffcoston.com/     He works out of Semiahmoo which is right on the border of BC, in WA state.  Still a bit of a drive from where you were thinking of moving, but I don't really know anyone in BC.  He's well known as a solid instructor in my PGA Section, and has taught multiple college/tour level players.  He is a touch on the expensive side, but just something to look into, if you're interested.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Note: This thread is 1475 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!