IGNORED

Journey to the Mackenzie Tour: One Amateur's Pipe Dream

Diece
Note:Β This thread is 1475 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

I played to nearly a +3 USGA as a junior and had a better short game than other people I competed against who have been successful on tour. There is a HUGE gap between maxing out your short game ability (which I doubt anyone taking the game up in life late can do), and developing a swing consistent enough to stripe long irons well enough to compete at an elite level.

Sure, the short game and driving matter the most to improve as an amateur, but as a pro, it's all about those long approach shots. You are not shooting low 60s (which you need to win tournaments) without unimaginably good mid and long irons. You might get such a score every blue moon, but as a pro, you must do it all the time, else you will never qualify. I've played many qualifiers. Shooting 71s and 74's don't get it done. There is always some a--hole who shoots 63. Believe it.

+3 is good, don't get me wrong, but anyone with a solid short game is there already. Finding four or fiveΒ shots a round when you are at this level seems impossible. There is a massive difference between each stroke under scratch. The biggest difference is the ability to go very low. As Lee Trevino said, "There's two things that don't las long; Dogs chasing cars, and pros putting for pars." If my level exists at age 45 or 50, maybe I will have a go at some senior stuff, but there's very little chance I succeed at my ability level. If you play tournaments above your level, you are doing so to improve yourself. That's fine, but don't live out of your car.

• Like 1

• Administrator
7 hours ago, PraiseKek said:

+3 is good, don't get me wrong, but anyone with ο»Ώa solid short game is there already. Finding four or fiveΒ shots a round when you are at this level seems impossible. There is a massive difference between each stroke under scratch. The biggest difference is the ability to go very low. As Lee Trevino said, "There's two things that don't las long; Dogs chasing cars, and pros putting for pars."

I agree generally, but two things:

• +3s have a great short game, great full swing, and great putting, relatively speaking. A great short game alone will not get most people anywhere near +3.
  • PGA Tour players are "only" aboutΒ +4 to +6 or so at the top end. The thing is, they do this in competition. Your handicap may have been mostly established in practice rounds, etc.

Anyway, this guy's probably already given up on his quest, because despite his bravado, he's realizing how hard it is to do what he said, and won't want to admit it.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 4 weeks later...

@DieceΒ Well, no updates huh? I hope you were able to get on the right track for your goals. If not, chalk it up to a learning experience. If you're willing it may help others who have similar ideas to post your experiences here. Where are you now? What did you find was the most difficult aspect? What goals did you achieve? Anyway, just wanted to see how you're doing. Take care.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

I just stumbled on this thread and was going to wish him luck. Β God knows how it turned out.

Friend of mine, good golfer, around scratch got someone to back his try on the Golden Bear Tour. Β Poor kid couldn't break 90 out there. Β We played as a team and would destroy everyone. Β If we played head to head he couldn't handle it.. It's the pressure...whole new world.

I liked his attitude, unfortunately he had about as much chance of growing a third arm as he did competing on the Mackenzie Tour.

I know the family of a kid on the Mackenzie Tour this year. His stroke average of 70.79 was good enough to make 2 out of 10 cuts and a whopping $2240 (CAD$).Β 

Β @DieceΒ can't break 80 consistently.

DannyΒ  Β  In my :ping:Β Hoofer Tour golf bag on myΒ :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:Β Β Β :pxg:Β 0311 Gen 5Β  X-Stiff.Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β Β Irons:Β Β :callaway:Β 4-PW APEX TCB IronsΒ 
3Β Wood:Β :callaway:Β MavrikΒ SZ RogueΒ X-StiffΒ  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter:Β :odyssey:Β Β 2-Ball Ten Arm LockΒ  Β  Β  Β Β Ball:Β :titleist: ProV 1

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

10 minutes ago, NM Golf said:

I liked his attitude, unfortunately he had about as much chance of growing a third arm as he did competing on the Mackenzie Tour.

I know the family of a kid on the Mackenzie Tour this year. His stroke average of 70.79 was good enough to make 2 out of 10 cuts and a whopping $2240 (CAD$).Β 

Β @DieceΒ can't break 80 consistently.

Well..the OP does say in his title [ Amateur dream and eventual Reality]. I just think that β€˜eventual reality’ wasn’t what he thought It’d be.Β 

• Upvote 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

• 5 months later...

Canadian winters are harsh, I've been working on my game as the season starts warming up and spent some more time reflecting on last year and where I want to head this year.

One of the major changes, which I'm undertaking is in the next month is I will be moving across country to B.C, partly because I want to see B.C but I also noticed a lot of the players on the Mackenzie Tour are from that area. I figure there has to be a reason why, so I am moving.

Looking back on 2018, here are a few things I'm proud of and a few things that I definitely need to improve.

1. Breaking par for 18 holesΒ (71, from the back tees)

I made it my goal, that I HAD to break par in 2018 at least once and I did it. It was a pretty grindy round too, the first tee shot I hooked way into the trees as a bunch of old guys were watching and giving me shit for playing the back tees.

I had to birdie the tough 18th hole to break par, which I did in great fashion. I put my 2 iron to about five feet from the hole on my 2nd shot. It was a risky move but damn did it feel good.Β 

That sealed my 71.

I also shot a 69 but it was fairly easy course, so I don't really count that. Also par was 70 I believe.

Shit, there was one more low round I had. I shot 71 (par 72) during a practice round at a course I had a tournament at a few days later. That was probably my best round but not as special as the first time I broke par for 18 at my home course.

2. Co-led a tournament after 9 holes.

The 2nd last tournament of the year, I was paired with the best player and we both were tied going into the back 9. We both shot -2 for our first 9's which was my first time ever shooting that low in a tournament (even though it's just 9), I didn't follow it up with a good back 9 though and shot I think 75 or 76. Pretty shit.

Those are some of the goals I reached, there were some other smaller ones but those are the main ones. Now onto the challenges.

The biggest challenge by far was focus and getting into the right mindset.

Simply put, I did not have the discipline and self-control to pull myself back after a bad start or I would start well and then lose whatever momentum I had for the round. Some days, my focus was there and others I would just walk up and hit the ball. Every time I walked up and hit the ball, I thought it was a good idea at the time but usually ended up being a terrible idea and costing me a lot of strokes.

My tournament scores were abysmal because of this but I also think I was distracted during the events becauseΒ the tournaments I was playing in my brother was also playing in. Who I don't really get to spend a lot of time with, so on one hand I tried to be serious but I also wanted to enjoy the time with my brother (we got paired twice) and idk, I felt I had a very hard time keeping my focus. "I wanted to have fun" too much.

I also had a lot of problem with my drives, I would simply forget how to drive the damn ball and it costed me so many strokes during these events. I was furious. Then during the 2nd last tournament, I had finally figured out my driver and I was drivingΒ well (front 9 -2 back 9 was bad but not because of driver) and then I was gearing up for the last tournament when my driver broke about a day before the event. IΒ couldn't get it fixed in time so my dad brought it into his workshop and fixed it but he put way too much epoxy in it so it felt really weird in my hands. My driving was terrible during that event. Near OB ball on the first hole and 2nd holeΒ straight into the OB. Not good.

In this year of 2019, I need to do a few things.

- Find a coach who I can trust and believe in

- Start working on my mental game, especially in tournaments (play more events)

- Get rid of theΒ over the top bullshit in my swing

- Start breaking par more consistentlyΒ 

- Finding better players to hangout with / befriend

- Continue to work on putting and shortgame.

I think the major two here are finding a coach / teacher and working on the mental game. When my mental game is on and I'm in a good frame of mind, I can play decent golf but right now it's terrible. It needs a lot of work because my tournament play is awful.

Now, to wrap this up. What have I been doing in the winter?

Well, I've done a little work on my game but mostly I've been resting. Reflecting on my year and deciding whether I want to continue to pursue this goal or not. My dad was a pro athlete and he did very well, competing internationally and winning some events. I sort of feel I have to follow in his footsteps and I know don't have to but I want to. I've studied other athletes and a lot of them, there's a lineage within the family where athletics was a big thing. So if I was to go pro, it wouldn't be too crazy. Considering the background.Β 

I also started to make some money with one of my other hobbies, photography. I got lucky in picking up some work from a guy who approached me on the street as I was taking photos. This turned into a consistent gig and then through word of mouth, I landed some more work which was nice.

This sparked a deeper interest in art, which I didn't really know I had until now. I've got into sketching and drawing and eventually I want to paint. There was a point this year where I seriously considered whether I wanted to focus on improving my skills as an artist and start doing that instead. I still have that internal struggle but what I keep coming back to, is the childhood dream I had. Which was to play pro golf.

I remember in grade 8, when I was very good for my age and certainly should have continued the sport (I quit for 5 years) we had to fill these things out that said "What do you want to do when you are older?" I wrote professional golfer and my teacher laughed at me. I didn't take it to heart really because I practiced religiously that summer but I think back and I remember that burning desire I had.

So do I want to continue?

I do I want to winΒ on the Mackenzie Tour.

But first I need toΒ win.

I want to win a tournament. That's my first step to my bigger goal.

So I think that's where I'm going to start and work from there. Being a pro would be great but let's start with winning something (I haven't really won anything important).Β 

I don't want to die without having won a tournament. Then once I do that, we can go from there.Β 

What really keeps me going with my goals is what I have done in the last 2 years. Going from a 15 handicap to about a 5/6 (realistic, my "Canadian" handicap is actually a 1/2Β officially) + having broke par a few times at decent courses for 18. Had I not have done that, if I was still shooting 79 I probably wouldn't be writing this post.

And to answer the people, where have I been?

Embarrassed. With the way I played during my last tournament, I wanted to stick my head in the sand. Which I did.

I'm going to push hard this year. I'm moving out my parents, I've got a nice van and I'm cutting all costs out of my life. I will be sleeping in my van and working on my goals with a coach. If I need money, I have my photography that I can use to make extra cash.

By the way, for those interested. Here's my website with my photography. www.jasoncoull.com

Β 

Β 

Edit: By far my biggest regret is being too bull-headed to get an instructor and not taking opportunities when they arise. I had a pro last year offer to have me chill at his private driving range and hang-out, I never took the opportunity. How stupid of me.Β 

+

The opportunity to spend time at Golf Evolution even though I'm so close. Mistakes....

Won't happen again.

8 hours ago, Diece said:

The biggest challenge by far was focus and getting into the right mindset.

Simply put, I did not have the discipline and self-control to pull myself back after a bad start or I would start well and then lose whatever momentum I had for the round. Some days, my focus was there and others I would just walk up and hit the ball. Every time I walked up and hit the ball, I thought it was a good idea at the time but usually ended up being a terrible idea and costing me a lot of strokes.

My tournament scores were abysmal because of this but I also think I was distracted during the events becauseΒ the tournaments I was playing in my brother was also playing in. Who I don't really get to spend a lot of time with, so on one hand I tried to be serious but I also wanted to enjoy the time with my brother (we got paired twice) and idk, I felt I had a very hard time keeping my focus. "I wanted to have fun" too much.

In this year of 2019, I need to do a few things.

- Start working on my mental game, especially in tournaments (play more events)

I think the major two here are finding a coach / teacher and working on the mental game. When my mental game is on and I'm in a good frame of mind, I can play decent golf but right now it's terrible. It needs a lot of work because my tournament play is awful.

Sounds like you already know how to get in the right mental state for golf.Β  The problem is commitment.Β 

Like you said, A) you have to have motivation to be practicing/playing,Β if you don't pack up and go home for a few hours until you do; B) When it comes to playing golf, whether recreational or tourney, it has to be just you, the ball, and the shot when you are at your ball, all other thoughts have to be put to the side.Β  That last point is something you can practice; for pretty much any activity, don't fall into the "I can multitask" BS, focus on the task at hand (think of "the field" from Legend of Bagger Vance).

I have a friend playing college golf right now and wants to see how well he'd fare on Mackenzie Tour.Β  He shoots around par or under in most tournament rounds, but that's still not good enough.Β  He gets more than enough birdies, but he falls into his own traps on a few holes.Β 

• Like 1

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach;Β Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI
Β 
TeamΒ :srixon:!

On 4/16/2019 at 10:03 AM, phillyk said:

Sounds like you already know how to get in the right mental state for golf.Β  The problem is commitment.Β 

Like you said, A) you have to have motivation to be practicing/playing,Β if you don't pack up and go home for a few hours until you do; B) When it comes to playing golf, whether recreational or tourney, it has to be just you, the ball, and the shot when you are at your ball, all other thoughts have to be put to the side.Β  That last point is something you can practice; for pretty much any activity, don't fall into the "I can multitask" BS, focus on the task at hand (think of "the field" from Legend of Bagger Vance).

I have a friend playing college golf right now and wants to see how well he'd fare on Mackenzie Tour.Β  He shoots around par or under in most tournament rounds, but that's still not good enough.Β  He gets more than enough birdies, but he falls into his own traps on a few holes.Β 

Good advice man, the second point is something I'm definitely working on more this year.Β 

_________

Brief update.

I've been scouring the web looking for golf courses in B.C with a rating of atleast 72 and atleast 6900 yards. I've gone through most of the directories and looked at the coaches + facilities + membership costs and I have a list of places I want to check out (calling them today).

I've also looked at where the good amateur players / pros are playing out of and then finding courses that fit within my price range. A lot of good players (from the Vancouver Golf Tour) are playing out of a place called Pitt Meadows. I'm not sure why.

Also I've reached out to some professionals and tournament directors, asking them if they know of some other events / mini tours and also what are some of the common courses that the top players are playing out of.

I've had a few guys respond back to me and I've also reached out to well known coach down in Florida, seeing if he would be interested in quick 15 minute call (paid of course). (he hasn't got back to me yet.)

In between doing that, I've realized one major obstacle I need to overcome. Which is money. I am not from a very rich family so I'll have to do a lot of the raising of funds myself. I've considered a few options, working at the course, working as a server at the course (what I did last year) and online business. I also considered using my photography background to take pictures for courses but I realized that may be something out of my skill level for now + the time commitment and the fact I'd have to travel course to course makes it less feasible.

Most golf course photographers use a boom lift to take the photos, which is something at this time I am not comfortable doing.

Really, what I need to do is separate my time from money. Which leads me to online business. Thankfully, I know some people who are doing quite well in online business and I'm going to see what they have to say. The great thing with online business, is the minimal start-up + the ability to make money while I am out practicing or playing. There's also relatively minimal up-keep with online business. You can work 10 hours a week once you have everything running and make well over 10k a month. Then once I start making money, I'm going to re-invest my earning into relativelyΒ safe bets on the stock market.

If I can do this, I will have solved the problem of making money to support my dream and also free my time from money. If I had 10k a month rolling in with lets say 20 hours a week of my time, I would have the ability to travel for golf, enter almost any tournament, get high quality coaching and belong to a great course. Which would have been unfeasible decades ago but with the internet, there's so much money being made I don't see why I can't get a slice of the pie.

Ultimately, what I need to do is crunch the numbers. I need to figure out how much money I need a month, including expenses, food, etc. Then I need to figure out how many tournaments and what tournaments I will enter this year and figure out the cost for doing so. I also need to look at coaching and figure out roughly how much money I need to allocate to that. I think to begin with, I'm going to start off with weekly sessions. I don't need to get daily or twice a week sessions right now, I just need to get rid of some of my bad habits. I also need to figure out food because I will be living out of my van and I will have a cooker because I don't want to eat like shit. I imagine I'd have to cook the same thing everyday but then there's the problem of how will I store food? Cooking to eat is good but I'd have to figure out how to store food. A mini-fridge in my van will probably destroy my battery, so I'd need to figure that out. If I could figure out storage, I could then pre-cook everything the week before and have everything ready for the entire week.

There's a lot of shit I need to figure out.

The biggest thing though being money.

3 hours ago, Diece said:

Good advice man, the second point is something I'm definitely working on more this year.Β 

_________

Brief update.

I've been scouring the web looking for golf courses in B.C with a rating of atleast 72 and atleast 6900 yards. I've gone through most of the directories and looked at the coaches + facilities + membership costs and I have a list of places I want to check out (calling them today).

I've also looked at where the good amateur players / pros are playing out of and then finding courses that fit within my price range. A lot of good players (from the Vancouver Golf Tour) are playing out of a place called Pitt Meadows. I'm not sure why.

Also I've reached out to some professionals and tournament directors, asking them if they know of some other events / mini tours and also what are some of the common courses that the top players are playing out of.

I've had a few guys respond back to me and I've also reached out to well known coach down in Florida, seeing if he would be interested in quick 15 minute call (paid of course). (he hasn't got back to me yet.)

In between doing that, I've realized one major obstacle I need to overcome. Which is money. I am not from a very rich family so I'll have to do a lot of the raising of funds myself. I've considered a few options, working at the course, working as a server at the course (what I did last year) and online business. I also considered using my photography background to take pictures for courses but I realized that may be something out of my skill level for now + the time commitment and the fact I'd have to travel course to course makes it less feasible.

Most golf course photographers use a boom lift to take the photos, which is something at this time I am not comfortable doing.

Really, what I need to do is separate my time from money. Which leads me to online business. Thankfully, I know some people who are doing quite well in online business and I'm going to see what they have to say. The great thing with online business, is the minimal start-up + the ability to make money while I am out practicing or playing. There's also relatively minimal up-keep with online business. You can work 10 hours a week once you have everything running and make well over 10k a month. Then once I start making money, I'm going to re-invest my earning into relativelyΒ safe bets on the stock market.

If I can do this, I will have solved the problem of making money to support my dream and also free my time from money. If I had 10k a month rolling in with lets say 20 hours a week of my time, I would have the ability to travel for golf, enter almost any tournament, get high quality coaching and belong to a great course. Which would have been unfeasible decades ago but with the internet, there's so much money being made I don't see why I can't get a slice of the pie.

Ultimately, what I need to do is crunch the numbers. I need to figure out how much money I need a month, including expenses, food, etc. Then I need to figure out how many tournaments and what tournaments I will enter this year and figure out the cost for doing so. I also need to look at coaching and figure out roughly how much money I need to allocate to that. I think to begin with, I'm going to start off with weekly sessions. I don't need to get daily or twice a week sessions right now, I just need to get rid of some of my bad habits. I also need to figure out food because I will be living out of my van and I will have a cooker because I don't want to eat like shit. I imagine I'd have to cook the same thing everyday but then there's the problem of how will I store food? Cooking to eat is good but I'd have to figure out how to store food. A mini-fridge in my van will probably destroy my battery, so I'd need to figure that out. If I could figure out storage, I could then pre-cook everything the week before and have everything ready for the entire week.

Just a quick word on the online business, or online marketing or Multi-level Marketing.Β  If you have some people you know that are doing well as you have mentioned, then sit down with them, take in every single thing you can from them and use it.Β  Find out what they did, how long it took and how much time it took because I bet you will be surprised at how long it actually took them.Β  You will want to lock arms with some of the leaders of that particular company (or whichever company you choose) and be a sponge when they tell you what to do and how to do it, basically be coachable and let them mold you into a mini them.Β  It would be very tough to start this business this spring and have enough sustainable income through the summer to get you through.Β  Most people take 2-5 years to build a sustainable income in a business like this.Β  I know from experience as I am part of an energy and weight loss company.Β  I am making good supplemental income, but would not be able to live on that income alone, and those that are making 10k/mo busted their asses and put a ton of time and energy into their businesses for the financial freedom they have now.Β  Just a heads up from experience.

@DieceΒ The first suggestion I will make is to stop living out of your van.Β  Yes, it is cheaper, but there is a saying.Β  Rest is a weapon too.Β  Please realise that if you are well rested, your body recovers better and the extra space of a house lets you do things properly, like have a decent bath, eat home-cooked meals, do basic exercises and possibly even golf practice.Β  Either move back in with your parents or rent a place of your own.

The second is be realistic in the money you can earn and need.Β  Earning 10K a month with 20 hours a week means you need a niche skill/product.Β  It is not easy.Β  Also, find out from pro's and aspiring pro's, how much it costs to enter competitions and qualifiers.

The third is more complicated, but ideally find a place where you can play golf outdoors 365 days a year.Β  As brilliant as driving ranges/artificial turf and simulators are, there is no substitute for hitting golf balls on a course.Β  OnΒ one fairway, you might get a spot where the grass is extra fluffly, extra thin or normal.Β  You will get a ball six inches below or above your feet.Β  You will be playing out of a divot or have the ball nestled down in grass in the rough.Β  These are all things you can't really replicate on the range, or even worse hitting off mats.Β  This is why you get so many guys who are brilliant on the range but can't carry those shots onto the course.

Finally, make sure you get a coach who can help you ensure your fundamentals are in place before ingraining the habits.Β  There is no point spending a lot of time ingraining bad habits and then struggling to figure out your swing later.

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

9 hours ago, Diece said:

No offense, but making $10k a month from an online business isn't something that one just does easily.Β  It sounds like you think it's something that is achievable by doing a few things when in reality I suspect it takes a lot of planning and effort over the course of a few years with a sizeable risk of failure if not thought out properly and without dedicating a fair amount of time to the business.

• Like 1

Christian

:tmade::titleist:Β  :leupold:Β  :aimpoint:Β :gamegolf:

A new business will take all your time and then some. There will be ups and downs, mistakesΒ as well as hurdles to overcome. Right now it looks like you don't even know what business you will be in. This is not realistic at all to think you will have to work 20 hours a week to make that kind of money. The last thing on your mind will be going to play golf. I don't see it happening.

(edited)
On 4/22/2019 at 1:40 PM, pganapathy said:

@DieceΒ The first suggestion I will make is to stop living out of your van.Β  Yes, it is cheaper, but there is a saying.Β  Rest is a weapon too.Β  Please realise that if you are well rested, your body recovers better and the extra space of a house lets you do things properly, like have a decent bath, eat home-cooked meals, do basic exercises and possibly even golf practice.Β  Either move back in with your parents or rent a place of your own.

The second is be realistic in the money you can earn and need.Β  Earning 10K a month with 20 hours a week means you need a niche skill/product.Β  It is not easy.Β  Also, find out from pro's and aspiring pro's, how much it costs to enter competitions and qualifiers.

The third is more complicated, but ideally find a place where you can play golf outdoors 365 days a year.Β  As brilliant as driving ranges/artificial turf and simulators are, there is no substitute for hitting golf balls on a course.Β  OnΒ one fairway, you might get a spot where the grass is extra fluffly, extra thin or normal.Β  You will get a ball six inches below or above your feet.Β  You will be playing out of a divot or have the ball nestled down in grass in the rough.Β  These are all things you can't really replicate on the range, or even worse hitting off mats.Β  This is why you get so many guys who are brilliant on the range but can't carry those shots onto the course.

Finally, make sure you get a coach who can help you ensure your fundamentals are in place before ingraining the habits.Β  There is no point spending a lot of time ingraining bad habits and then struggling to figure out your swing later.

That's a good point about rest, we'll have to see how I feel sleeping in the van. I'm a pretty deep sleeper and can sleep on anything really.Β 

You'd be surprised how easy it is to make money online. For example. I have photography experience, all I need is 10 clients willing to pay 1k for my consulting or advice. It's easier than you think but of course there's going to be work involved.

That's a good third point, I'm actually reconsidering B.C. My dad said he would help me with tournaments and entry fees. We talked about a few things and considering his background in professional sport, I took his opinions quite seriously.

Basically.

He told me if I'm going to move ANYWHERE I need to move to Florida or California. B.C is great but it's not much different infrastructure wise than Ontario. He suggested another plan of attack, one that I have to agree on.

He said I should save my money, stay around here, play, compete and then move to Florida in the winter and stay there until our season starts back up. He has friends with their own place down in Florida and they would be willing to let me stay.

To me, this seems like a better idea than going to B.C, living out of my van, probably running out of money and f***ing myself.Β 

I hate how much my plans have changed but I do agree with the points he made.

On 4/22/2019 at 9:49 AM, Grinde6 said:

Just a quick word on the online business, or online marketing or Multi-level Marketing.Β  If you have some people you know that are doing well as you have mentioned, then sit down with them, take in every single thing you can from them and use it.Β  Find out what they did, how long it took and how much time it took because I bet you will be surprised at how long it actually took them.Β  You will want to lock arms with some of the leaders of that particular company (or whichever company you choose) and be a sponge when they tell you what to do and how to do it, basically be coachable and let them mold you into a mini them.Β  It would be very tough to start this business this spring and have enough sustainable income through the summer to get you through.Β  Most people take 2-5 years to build a sustainable income in a business like this.Β  I know from experience as I am part of an energy and weight loss company.Β  I am making good supplemental income, but would not be able to live on that income alone, and those that are making 10k/mo busted their asses and put a ton of time and energy into their businesses for the financial freedom they have now.Β  Just a heads up from experience.

Sort of.

I agree but you would be surprised man.

Some of the guys I know started their first year and they were making over 10k a month. It's not as hard as it seems but I do agree that it's work. Hell there are some guys that I don't personally know who made 100k a month within a few months of starting a business. Now granted, they were in SaS.

On 4/22/2019 at 2:50 PM, RFKFREAK said:

No offense, but making $10k a month from an online business isn't something that one just does easily.Β  It sounds like you think it's something that is achievable by doing a few things when in reality I suspect it takes a lot of planning and effort over the course of a few years with a sizeable risk of failure if not thought out properly and without dedicating a fair amount of time to the business.

Nothing is easy mate. I'm not naive in regards to work but it IS easier than you think.Β 

17 hours ago, TheWoodBoss said:

A new business will take all your time and then some. There will be ups and downs, mistakesΒ as well as hurdles to overcome. Right now it looks like you don't even know what business you will be in. This is not realistic at all to think you will have to work 20 hours a week to make that kind of money. The last thing on your mind will be going to play golf. I don't see it happening.

Agreed. It definitely is realistic, of course you need to know what you're going into but you can make 10k a month working less than 20 hours a week. I know because I've seen it done. I do agree that there is an initial investment of time though, one guy I'm somewhat close to makes close to 500k a month but he busts his ass for 2 months straight, sometimes more and then chills for the next 5 months just focusing on up-keep.Β 

Not easy but not as hard as you think.

Now back to golf, I had my first real practice session today. I focused on putting. If your curious about how it went and what I learned, I wrote a post about it on my blog.

One last thing I know I need to do this year is to get some updated equipment.

I love my Hogans irons but I need to upgrade if I want to play seriously. Same with my driver and fairway wood.Β 

That's another thing on the list, get brand new equipment that I can have for the next 3-4 years.

Edited by Diece

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Diece said:

. I haveο»Ώ photography exο»Ώperiencο»Ώe,ο»Ώ all I need is 10 clients willing to pay 1k for myο»Ώ consulting or advice.ο»Ώ ο»Ώο»Ώ

Or one idiot to give you $10k!

I feel like we are being trolled now. This stuff is ridiculous.

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

19 minutes ago, iacas said:

Or one idiot to give you $1k!

It sure does seem like it now. Β @DieceΒ I would be willing to bet 2 months pay from my online/network marketing business that you won’t make 10k/mo after just a couple months. Β It’s much much harder than that. Β I’m talking from personal experience and I am selling a product in one of the fastest growing markets there is in health and wellness/energy and weight loss. Β I’m just trying to be realistic with you. Β Are there people that make 10k per month quickly? Β Yes, but I guarantee they busted their ass for quite some time before they started making that. Β One of my good friends is my sponsor in my company and she is making 10k+/mo, but she busted her ass for a year for that to happen.Β 

37 minutes ago, iacas said:

Or one idiot to give you $10k!

So 10 clients each paying 1k doesnt make 10k?

Damn.

Note:Β This thread is 1475 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!