IGNORED

Need Some Advice on Playing Golf With Higher Handicappers

Rayrobinson
Note:Β This thread is 2059 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

1 hour ago, NM Golf said:

How is someone wanting to correctly record your score annoying? I can't tell if this in an official competition, but if it is your advice above in a no-no.

Thank you for asking - you are, of course, correct but you've really made me think about this.Β  IΒ sometimes play with a traveling men's league andΒ we exchange scores as a matter of course, but more recently I've been playing a lot as a single because of the season.Β  When I'm with a group of people I don't know I just find it somehow intrusive and odd ...Β I'm not sure why to be honest, but that's my reaction. I'm one of the friendliest guys you'll pick up on a course and we'll have a good time, but for whatever reason this crosses a line for me.

I’ve found thatΒ d-bags come at allΒ levels of hcp.Β 

If im asked to keep score I’ll most likely ask someΒ what their score was even when everyone announces their score after holing out. It’s just the way it is. I’m thinking of my game AND everyone else’s I’d rather be accurate than efficientΒ 

• Like 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

23 hours ago, Rayrobinson said:

2. Always asking directly after the hole is completed β€˜what did you have there’.

FWIW, fromΒ the USGA Rules of Golf

6-6. Scoring in Stroke Play

a. Recording Scores

After each hole theΒ markerΒ should check the score with theΒ competitorΒ and record it. On completion of the round theΒ markerΒ must sign the score card and hand it to theΒ competitor. If more than oneΒ markerΒ records the scores, each must sign for the part for which he is responsible.

Β 

So not only is it not rude, it's actually part of the rules.

DannyΒ  Β  In my :ping:Β Hoofer Tour golf bag on myΒ :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:Β Β Β :pxg:Β 0311 Gen 5Β  X-Stiff.Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β Β Irons:Β Β :callaway:Β 4-PW APEX TCB IronsΒ 
3Β Wood:Β :callaway:Β MavrikΒ SZ RogueΒ X-StiffΒ  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter:Β :odyssey:Β Β 2-Ball Ten Arm LockΒ  Β  Β  Β Β Ball:Β :titleist: ProV 1

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

I guess it all comes down to how serious you take things. I have played with guys who shoot in the 90's and want to be super serious and other guys who cut up, drink, and talk smack all day but can play down to scratch. I play for fun and don't think anyones actions really affect my own score. But then again I am that guy who can go shoot a 90 or a 78 on any day lol.

There are 3 suggestions I would make to the OP's 3 points. Point 1. If everybody's yakking while you're trying to play a stroke, step away from the ball and ask them to be quiet!

Point 2. What is your problem! I find it perfectly acceptable to ask competitors their scores after a hole! I usually do so on the next tee. When I'm playing "for real" I pay attention to my score, not everyone elses!

Point 3. If people are prancing around while you're putting, ask them to stand still! When a competitor is in line to give me a "teach", I'll be right there. But I won't move until he has stroked the putt! I guess some people haven't been taught that etiquette!

• Upvote 1

I sort of am a bit annoyed with the tenor of the OP. Β I am currently a 28 HCP and know my etiquette and rules quite well, thank you.

When I played in the past, I found it great fun to play with higher HCPs and help them learn proper golf manners. Β Perhaps if one were to point out the error and explain why it is annoying, you will calm down. Β In terms of penalty, not much can be assessed. Β Perhaps if there were a league head or Marshall, you might have them follow the annoyers and let them take charge. Β It seems you are allowing the stress to bother you.

Two weeks ago I played with a LOW handicapper who was annoying, 6-10 practice strokes before EVERY address, foul language when his hit was off, not aware of where his cigar smoke was directed, littered on the course when the snack was done,Β and little regard for all around hm. Β As it was not a true match, I ignored him, did not let his boorish manner, comments on my hits, or chuckles when I missed a putt get into my head. Β Result was at the end of the round he was highly upset at his 77 and I was THRILLED with my 86, my best round since I really focused on renewing my game. Β In short, don't let another person allow you to not enjoy the game. Β Focus on what you and do and not the world around you.

In My BELDINΒ Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bagΒ :Β Β :ping:Β G410Β Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr, Β GX-7 Β (acting as aΒ 3 wood)Β Β :ping:Β 4H, 5H.Β SrΒ FlexΒ Β Β :ping:Β  G400 6i Sr Flex,Β G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0 Β Wedges (50ΒΊ,Β 56ΒΊ, 60ΒΊ) Β :touredge:Β  Chipper Β :ping:Β Putter:Β Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:Β Β e12 for the items IΒ try to hit on purpose.Β Β :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (withΒ PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

I play munis. I meet all kinds, most are great. Respectful. Good golfers, high handicaps, like me.

There's probably no more than 1 arsehole outa 50. Even the drinkers, the weed smokers, the newbies don't bother me. They have as much right to be out there as I do.

Arseholes are everywhere

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, uitar9 said:

I play munis. I meet all kinds, most are great. Respectful. Good golfers, high handicaps, like me.

There's probably no more than 1 arsehole outa 50. Even the drinkers, the weed smokers, the newbies don't bother me. They have as much right to be out there as I do.

Arseholes are everywhere

Same here, I play once or twice a week, M thru F,Β as a single and rarely run into anything but nice people just looking to have some fun.Β  If anything most of them seem to error on the side of being overly polite in my experience.

Edited by Inferno2ss
  • Like 1

I’m a higher HCP senior golfer. Β Sometimes I’m really into playing the course and keep to myself, but usually I enjoy socializing with the other players in my foursome. If someone indicates either by action or word that they are trying to concentrate on their game, I take no offense and allow them their space. In my experience most golfers are like that, so just speak up, something like β€œNo disrespect guys, but I’m trying to focus on my game today” ...

On 8/23/2018 at 1:12 PM, Rayrobinson said:

Hi guys

i play off two and whilst on the course I don’t say much , I’m calm and polite but like to keep myself to myself.

at our club on club champs day the first days format is always a low, medium and high grouping.

here is where I then have problemsΒ 

1. Constant talking , sometimes right up yo when I set up over the ball.

2. Always asking directly after the hole is completed β€˜what did you have there’.

3. Walking around the green whilst I’m putting.

now these guys aren’t new to the game but I just find that anyone if 12 or more just doesn’t understand or respect the game like the lower handicapped .

Β 

i never ask anyone their score after a hole because I know what they had and it drives me crazy when they need to say the whole groups numbers like β€˜ two 3’s and 5’ . Be quiet and let us play.

lets just say it doe st help my game . Any thoughts or hell to manage would be greatly appreciated.

I completely agree, there’s no place on a golf course for being sociable and if anyone shows any sense of humor should be reprimanded.

God forbid if anyone is talking 5 minutes before and after I make my shots. Absolute silence on the greens. No alcoholic beverages or cigars.

No push carts and electric carts are for handicapped old farts who don’t belong on any golf course any more.

While we’re at it, ban cart girls because they dress too seductively in those khakis and polo shirts!

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

SoundsΒ like someone had a bad round! 😜πŸ€ͺπŸ˜‚

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Edited by Lihu
Less offensive πŸ€ͺ
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

:ping:Β  :tmade:Β Β :callaway:Β Β Β :gamegolf:Β Β :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

22 minutes ago, Lihu said:

I completely agree, there’s no place on a golf course for being sociable and if anyone shows any sense of humor should be reprimanded.

God forbid if anyone is talking 5 minutes before and after I make my shots. Absolute silence on the greens. No alcoholic beverages or cigars.

No push carts and electric carts are for handicapped old farts who don’t belong on any golf course any more.

While we’re at it, ban cart girls because they dress too seductively in those khakis and polo shirts!

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

SoundsΒ like someone had a bad round! 😜πŸ€ͺπŸ˜‚

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Agree with you Lihu and I kind of read this post in reverse, i.e. the thing that bothers me most are people that are TOO serious. Why are they allowing themselves to be paired randomly if they are so particular?Β 

IΒ  think of people that worry too much about where I stand, where my shadow falls, when I talk etc etc etcΒ 

• Upvote 1

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

9 hours ago, gregsandiego said:

Agree with you Lihu and I kind of read this post in reverse, i.e. the thing that bothers me most are people that are TOO serious. Why are they allowing themselves to be paired randomly if they are so particular?Β 

IΒ  think of people that worry too much about where I stand, where my shadow falls, when I talk etc etc etcΒ 

Well, I will NEVER allow my shadow to fall across someone's putting line, nor will I ever step on their line or their "through" line!

Courtesy is courtesy! And the golf version is a particular style! Those who are ignorant of it need to be educated.

6 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Well, I will NEVER allow my shadow to fall across someone's putting line, nor will I ever step on their line or their "through" line!

Courtesy is courtesy! And the golf version is a particular style! Those who are ignorant of it need to be educated.

Never ?

I don't do this intentionally.Β  My point is those that get all bent out of shape as if they're putting in the US Open need to face reality of their amateur status.

Β 

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

The only thing that really rattles me with high handicappers is watching them swing and then hit an awful shot.

I've learned to just not watch them.

Look at the fairway, the birds, the ground.

Wherever.

If they lost the ball, I'll sayΒ 

"Sorry I wasn't looking"

Another thing I do is while they hack their way up the course I'll hang to the left or right side of the fairway. Sometimes go into the brush/hazard and look for balls.

I typically only play Pro v1/v1x so if I find anything else I'll grab them and give them to the players.

A simple

"Hey man, I found some balls back there. Did you want some? There are some good ones that I don't need."

A good way to show that you're not snobby but just doing your own thing.

My tips may not apply though, I play the back tees where ever I go and most people just assume that I'm serious (if they don't know right off the bat, they'll certainly know when I miss my first short putt ;))

On 8/27/2018 at 6:41 AM, Diece said:

The only thing that really rattles me with high handicappers is watching them swing and then hit an awful shot.

I've learned to just not watch them.

Look at the fairway, the birds, the ground.

Wherever.

If they lost the ball, I'll sayΒ 

"Sorry I wasn't looking"

Β 

It is poor etiquette not to watch a fellow players ball when possible.Β Not only does it not help when it comes to finding the ball (again, something all the group should reasonably help with in order to speed up play), but you are also missing an opportunity to spot a ball that requires a shout of fore and thus jeopardising safety. Last but not least, you are making the game harder to somebody else.Β 

Not doing this because you don't like watching poor swings/shots is just selfish.Β 
Β 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 8/23/2018 at 4:12 PM, Rayrobinson said:

i never ask anyone their score after a hole because I know what they had

Good for you.

Unless I'm playing with only one other person, I'm not going to pay attention to every stroke made by each member of my group. I got my own ball to worry about.

Of course, I am a high-handicap and usually play with other high-handicaps. There's really no telling what those guys are up to in those woods back there.Β 

Β 

Note:Β This thread is 2059 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!