IGNORED

Proper score keeping

jetsknicks1
Note: This thread is 2067 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My buddy and I play in a summer golf league (2 man scramble) and something came up yesterday during the playoffs. I was the official scorekeeper for both teams and I’ve always kept score a certain way. Instead of writing writing down the actual score I’ll put down -1 (circled) for birdie, — for par, +1 for bogey and so on.  One of the other players looked at the card and said that was against the rules (they are very cool guys and there was no confrontation at all), is he correct about it being a rule violation?

my get up and go musta got up and went..

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If you have always done it that way, and I assume turned the score card in with out any questions, it probably works. I have seen it done before in tournaments I have been involved in with no issues.

As for a rule against it, I don't really know. With as many rules as there are associated with sanctioned, golf play, there probably is some obscure rule against it. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

First, I'm not sure why you would keep score in such a way? Secondly, you shouldn't be the official scorer for both teams, each team should keep the other's score. So to answer your question, I can't find that exact ruling in the Rules of Golf, but I would have to think it is an infraction, because the wrong score is recorded. 

It's no secret that summer golf leagues are a little fast and loose with the rules, and this is one example. Scrambles aren't even covered by the rules of golf anyway so...

Edited by NM Golf

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

50 minutes ago, Patch said:

If you have always done it that way, and I assume turned the score card in with out any questions, it probably works. I have seen it done before in tournaments I have been involved in with no issues.

As for a rule against it, I don't really know. With as many rules as there are associated with sanctioned, golf play, there probably is some obscure rule against it. 

That was my thought. I’ve never had anybody on the committee say anything about it.

52 minutes ago, NM Golf said:

First, I'm not sure why you would keep score in such a way? Secondly, you shouldn't be the official scorer for both teams, each team should keep the other's score. So to answer your question, I can't find that exact ruling in the Rules of Golf, but I would have to think it is an infraction, because the wrong score is recorded. 

It's no secret that summer golf leagues are a little fast and loose with the rules, and this is one example. Scrambles aren't even covered by the rules of golf anyway so...

It’s just the way I’ve always done it, don’t know why. The score comes out the same either way.

13 minutes ago, jetsknicks1 said:

It’s just the way I’ve always done it, don’t know why. The score comes out the same either way.

Just quit doing it that way. Write the number. You’re just adding an extra mental step which can only increase the chance of error. 

• Like 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

26 minutes ago, jetsknicks1 said:

Well not really. a bunch of +1, -1, and - don't actually add up to anything. Scores on a scorecard should add up to a total score. If you want to mark birdies and bogeys you can do so with circles and squares. Look, like I said, golf leagues are not known for their strict adherence to the Rules of Golf so in your league I am sure you are fine. But, if you ever plan to play in any real competitions you should learn to properly fill out a scorecard.

Edited by NM Golf
  • Like 1

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

The rules require that a score is entered on the card not a code.

I would suggest that there is presumption in the rules that a marker does not record his own side's scores.

Edited by Rulesman

The actual number of strokes is better. You could have calculated wrong one a hole and written a wrong number. That is of course possible when writing shots too, but I think it's more appropriate to write shots.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

1 hour ago, jetsknicks1 said:

My buddy and I play in a summer golf league (2 man scramble) and something came up yesterday during the playoffs. I was the official scorekeeper for both teams and I’ve always kept score a certain way. Instead of writing writing down the actual score I’ll put down -1 (circled) for birdie, — for par, +1 for bogey and so on.  One of the other players looked at the card and said that was against the rules (they are very cool guys and there was no confrontation at all), is he correct about it being a rule violation?

The Rule is 6-6 

6-6. Scoring in Stroke Play

a. Recording Scores

After each hole the marker should check the score with the competitorand record it. On completion of the round the marker must sign the score card and hand it to the competitor. If more than one marker records the scores, each must sign for the part for which he is responsible.

See also 33-5

The couple of scramble tournaments that I played have always demanded that nothing but the score be on the card.    They entered the scores by hole into a spreadsheet which was displayed upon a giant TV for everyone to see.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

It is your league so do it however you want.

If you are playing in a tournament by the rules of golf and for turning in a handicap write the number of strokes then adjust for ESC.

But go have fun. Keep score with +1, dots, happy faces WHATEVER as long as everyone is good with it.

It has been my experience that the score made on a hole is what is marked on the scorecard. If it is a birdie or eagle, that is what determines a circle or two around the score. The same with a square or two after a bogey or double!

I keep score much like the OP.  As long as the score is correct; I don't see what difference it makes.  When I score a baseball game I don't use exactly the same notations as someone else might.  All I am concerned with is that the information is accurate.  

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

• Administrator

Don't even bother with the circles and squares and stuff. It just makes it tougher to read the actual numbers.

Just write the score down. The actual number. Not a code. Not circles. A 1, 2, 5, 7, 12… whatever they got. Write that down.

If you want to keep a tally beneath, keep a running total of their score relative to par if you want. But not in the boxes that matter.

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

8 hours ago, iacas said:

Don't even bother with the circles and squares and stuff. It just makes it tougher to read the actual numbers.

Just write the score down. The actual number. Not a code. Not circles. A 1, 2, 5, 7, 12… whatever they got. Write that down.

If you want to keep a tally beneath, keep a running total of their score relative to par if you want. But not in the boxes that matter.

I disagree that it makes it tougher to read because it’s pretty self explanatory when you see the card. I was just wondering if there’s an actual rule against marking the card the way I do?

4 hours ago, jetsknicks1 said:

I disagree that it makes it tougher to read because it’s pretty self explanatory when you see the card. I was just wondering if there’s an actual rule against marking the card the way I do?

The Rule requires the gross score for the hole to be recorded. Not a code or symbol.

Rule 6-6a After each hole the marker should check the score with the competitor and record it.

Edited by Rulesman

As does R31-3. Scoring
The marker is required to record for each hole only the gross score of whichever partner's score is to count. The gross scores to count must be individually identifiable; otherwise, the side is disqualified. Only one of the partners need be responsible for complying with Rule 6-6b.

"Age improves with wine."

Wishon 919THI 11*
Wishon 925HL 4w
Wishon 335HL 3h & 4h
Wishon 755pc 5i, 6i, 7i, 8i & 9i
Tad Moore 485 PW
Callaway X 54*
Ping G2 Anser C
Callaway SuperSoft
Titleist StaDry
Kangaroo Hillcrest AB

• Administrator
4 hours ago, jetsknicks1 said:

I disagree that it makes it tougher to read because it’s pretty self explanatory when you see the card.

There's no real disagreement here to be had - it's a fact that it makes it tougher to read.

Which of these is easier to read?

3       or              ?

4       or              ?

2       or              ?

In every case the answer is the first one.

The second column of numbers have "more stuff" going on, and gives more information, which makes it tougher to read. It's more complex. Your brain has to process not only the number, but the circle, which may or may not even be right. And heaven forbid the circle overlaps the "3" in a way that makes it difficult to read the actual number, which can also happen pretty frequently.

A scorer at the scoring table isn't interested in symbols like circles and squares and things like that. They want the numbers. The more you add beyond the numbers themselves, the more difficult the numbers are to read.

This is simple stuff, really - the more stuff you add, the longer it takes to process. Scorers aren't looking for symbols to figure out how many over par or under par you are. They're looking for the actual numbers, because those are what matter. Yes, it may be "easier" for a golfer to figure out if he's 2 over par by looking at circles and squares, but that's not what a scorer does - to look at and read the numbers, any added decorations makes it more difficult.

P.S. How about these?

3 4 4 4 3 5 4 4 3

③ 4 ④ 4 ⓷ 5 4 ④ 3

Did you catch that the one 3 was a double circle? Mix in some squares with those circles and it becomes even more difficult.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 2067 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!