IGNORED

How Do You Add Up Your Score?

jamo
Note: This thread is 2062 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I add against level fours or level fives depending on what the first few scores are. If there are more 5s and 6s I'll do it against 5s. If there are more 3s and 4s I'll do it against 4s.

For example: 454435445 565544565 I would do the first nine against 4s, +1 E +1 +2 so 38. Second nine against 5s +1 E -1 E = 45 for 83. If I wasn't doing the two 9s separately, I'd probably look at this against 4s and then regret it after the first half :) +2 goes to +3 +5 +6 +7 +8 +10 +11 = 83. Sometimes I do against 5s just for the heck of it. Going along this whole string against 5s is really easy. I'd just look at how many under it is. 1 2 3 5 6 7 6 7 8 7

I do quite a lot of adding up and am lazy about it, so tend to figure out the easiest way to do it. I think this is the easiest way to do it.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

18 hours ago, Golfingdad said:

Yeah.  @Fourputt, OP is asking what you do next.  We assume you write the numbers down for the sake of this thread, but he's asking how you add them up.

(The different answers all interest me and it's partially because I'm trying to consider different ways of teaching simple math to my little ones.  I like hearing exactly what goes through peoples head as they do math) :)

I add them 2 holes at a time to get a total score.  Nothing else means anything to me for score or for handicap purposes.

Card:  4,6,5,4,3,6,5,5,4 - I'd add 10+9+9+10+4=42.  I look at 2 single digit numbers and it's easy to "see" the total of those 2.  Been doing it like that for 40+ years.

• Like 2

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

On 8/25/2018 at 11:07 PM, iacas said:

Try the level 4s (or 5s) method.

Give it a little effort and practice. It's pretty fast itself, especially if you get a lot of 4s.

Par is irrelevant. 9 "4"s is 36. Done.

So… this is also easy:

4 4 5 4 4 3 4 5 3

(BTW I also cancel out 5s if they're beside a 3, because that's the same as 4/4). So in reading that one I'd go +1… E…done.

the time it took me to do your example is however many seconds it takes to say 1 even 1 even 36

nice, I always did each hole in relation to par adding and subtracting but on unfamiliar courses my eyes go up down over up down over, with your method its either 9 4s or 9 5s, less movement less time 

Note: This thread is 2062 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!