IGNORED

Stop Lying About Your Distance - It's Pissing Me Off (Rant Thread)

AltGolfer
Note: This thread is 1708 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

22 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

This is a IM from I guy I play volleyball with.   He told me he hit the ball over the net at TopGolf with his 5W and I was skeptical.    Here's his numbers from the simulator where we play.    For the record...I'm not close to this.

jason.jpeg

Couple of things. 

1. He claims to have hit it OVER the back net with 5W? Or just hit the net in the air?

TopGolf uses extremely low compression golf balls which the worker told me go about 80% shorter than normal balls do, which means his 5W would probably have had to go close to 300 yds and have been hit very very high to go over the net. 

Which TopGolf location was it? If you know that you can measure the distance via google maps from the hitting area to the back net, my local one is like 220 yds to the base of the back net and all of the nets are very high.

2. When putting those numbers from his "high" swing into the FlightScope Trajectory Optimizer, I get 307.5 yds of carry, not 323, and thats for a perfectly straight shot, which his clearly wasnt as it was 203 ft left.

Another chart I looked at showed for a 190 mph ball speed and a launch of 8.5-10.0 with 2000-2400 spin, the typical carry is 330. He had basically double the launch and double the spin yet it carried 323 when it was 66 yds left? Those numbers dont add up to me.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

39 minutes ago, klineka said:

Couple of things. 

1. He claims to have hit it OVER the back net with 5W? Or just hit the net in the air?

TopGolf uses extremely low compression golf balls which the worker told me go about 80% shorter than normal balls do, which means his 5W would probably have had to go close to 300 yds and have been hit very very high to go over the net. 

Which TopGolf location was it? If you know that you can measure the distance via google maps from the hitting area to the back net, my local one is like 220 yds to the base of the back net and all of the nets are very high.

2. When putting those numbers from his "high" swing into the FlightScope Trajectory Optimizer, I get 307.5 yds of carry, not 323, and thats for a perfectly straight shot, which his clearly wasnt as it was 203 ft left.

Another chart I looked at showed for a 190 mph ball speed and a launch of 8.5-10.0 with 2000-2400 spin, the typical carry is 330. He had basically double the launch and double the spin yet it carried 323 when it was 66 yds left? Those numbers dont add up to me.

I didn't see it.   The new TopGolf near us is Auburn Hills.   They told us the distance is only 200 yard.    Hitting the net wouldn't be much of an accomplishment.  (There is an x-way directly behind the net).     I believe the net is 75 yards high.  

TopGolf uses extremely low compression golf balls which the worker told me go about 80% shorter than normal balls do,

Your experience with TopGolf is completely different than what I experienced when I was there.    The distances weren't much different than what I see at a normal driving range.   I'd guess about 10% different.

Thanks for your insight.  

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

• Administrator
1 hour ago, klineka said:

I used the left numbers at 500 feet of altitude and they were pretty close.

I doubt he was hitting it over the net, though. They're pretty high. The net is at like 210 yards, only, but again, 80% balls and high nets.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

i'm sorry none of you know how to hit a driver.

i can have my buddy teach you.  that the only golf lesson he gives, is how to swing a driver.  sure...  he's a hall of fame athlete and 3 time world champion (in a different sport), and sure, he holds a course record 61...  but the dude is still 63 years old.  and he still AVERAGES 285 off the tee.  and he never misses a fairway.  ever.

i'm probably a better athlete than i think, too.  i've competed for world championships, and beaten hall-of-famers and world champions (in a different sport) and won championships in 4 out of the 7 years i played football and stuff like that.

but i'm tellin ya, for real, that the difference is technique.  i dunno what the hell your problems are...  but i'm pretty sure your grip is wrong, and its moving your club on both your backswing and your downswing.  i'd guess you dont keep your back straight and struggle for extension.  id guess you dont shift your weight correctly during your swing.  your swing plane might be too flat.  your balance might be off.  and your rhythm might not be dancing.  serious.  as cancer.

but more than likely, its a combination of all those things.  in which case its probably hopeless.  i doubt you can hit it 250 yards.  i'd be stunned if you can hit it 250 yards.

i dont even consider myself a long hitter.  i dont swing that hard.  i average maybe 275, not counting the ones i miss cuz of my bad back.  it doesnt count if i bail out at the top cuz of a sciatic nerve flareup.  but i still outdrive every random i play with by an easy 40 yards.  i never said its easy and anybody can do it, i said that for anybody who knows how to do it, its easy.  i guarantee you nubs i generate much higher clubhead speed than you do, and i do it with much less effort.  i dont even really start to swing until my club is halfway back down.  but once i do go, i go friggin hard.

none of you guys complaining about not being able to drive the ball far for your age or whatever, understand how the swing works.  its that simple.  you cant do it because you arent good enough at golf.

if you did understand how the swing works...  you could do it.  see how that logic works?

if you want to hit it 280, you need to practice.  just like anything else.  if you want to play beethovens sonta sympathetique in c minor...  you have to practice.  anybody with rudimentary piano skills and enough reach to make one octave can play it.  its easy.  but none of you can play it, because you never practice it.  it takes 3 years for a good pianist to learn it.  it took me 3 years to learn it.  it took me 15 to learn how to hit a golf ball 300 yards.

i can hit a golf ball 300 yards because i'm better at golf than all of you.  apparently.  not because i'm stronger, faster, and better looking.  none of those things are important.

11 minutes ago, flashypaws said:

i can have my buddy teach you.  that the only golf lesson he gives, is how to swing a driver.  sure...  he's a hall of fame athlete and 3 time world champion (in a different sport), and sure, he holds a course record 61...  but the dude is still 63 years old.  and he still AVERAGES 285 off the tee.  and he never misses a fairway.  ever.

i'm probably a better athlete than i think, too.  i've competed for world championships, and beaten hall-of-famers and world champions (in a different sport) and won championships in 4 out of the 7 years i played football and stuff like that.

but i'm tellin ya, for real, that the difference is technique.  i dunno what the hell your problems are...  but i'm pretty sure your grip is wrong, and its moving your club on both your backswing and your downswing.  i'd guess you dont keep your back straight and struggle for extension.  id guess you dont shift your weight correctly during your swing.  your swing plane might be too flat.  your balance might be off.  and your rhythm might not be dancing.  serious.  as cancer.

but more than likely, its a combination of all those things.  in which case its probably hopeless.  i doubt you can hit it 250 yards.  i'd be stunned if you can hit it 250 yards.

i dont even consider myself a long hitter.  i dont swing that hard.  i average maybe 275, not counting the ones i miss cuz of my bad back.  it doesnt count if i bail out at the top cuz of a sciatic nerve flareup.  but i still outdrive every random i play with by an easy 40 yards.  i never said its easy and anybody can do it, i said that for anybody who knows how to do it, its easy.  i guarantee you nubs i generate much higher clubhead speed than you do, and i do it with much less effort.  i dont even really start to swing until my club is halfway back down.  but once i do go, i go friggin hard.

none of you guys complaining about not being able to drive the ball far for your age or whatever, understand how the swing works.  its that simple.  you cant do it because you arent good enough at golf.

if you did understand how the swing works...  you could do it.  see how that logic works?

if you want to hit it 280, you need to practice.  just like anything else.  if you want to play beethovens sonta sympathetique in c minor...  you have to practice.  anybody with rudimentary piano skills and enough reach to make one octave can play it.  its easy.  but none of you can play it, because you never practice it.  it takes 3 years for a good pianist to learn it.  it took me 3 years to learn it.  it took me 15 to learn how to hit a golf ball 300 yards.

i can hit a golf ball 300 yards because i'm better at golf than all of you.  apparently.  not because i'm stronger, faster, and better looking.  none of those things are important.

image.png

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

48 minutes ago, flashypaws said:

You are old, you have a bad back, you hit a golf ball 300 yards... aaaaand you expertly play Beethoven's Sonata Sympathetique in c minor.  Are you challenging for the "Most Interesting Man in the World".  "I don't play much golf but when I do I leave the flagstick in."

• Upvote 1

• Administrator

Just ignore the troll.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

15 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

You are old, you have a bad back, you hit a golf ball 300 yards... aaaaand you expertly play Beethoven's Sonata Sympathetique in c minor.  Are you challenging for the "Most Interesting Man in the World".  "I don't play much golf but when I do I leave the flagstick in."

He hold course records at courses he's never played...

Sharks have a week for him....

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

1 hour ago, flashypaws said:

I’ve seen enough people with prodigiously fast swing speeds to believe it’s possible and have some Mevo readings of a couple of them including one of my partners, so not doubting that.

What I seriously doubt is your claim that most people just need to improve their grips. You admitted that all the people you quoted were or are professional athletes.

That makes a huge difference!

Grip allowing everyone to swing 280 is just wrong.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

1 hour ago, flashypaws said:

That ain't nuthin'.  I play golf in 4 foot snow drifts!

2 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

That ain't nuthin'.  I play golf in 4 foot snow drifts!

Profile pic checks out. Thats more proof than @flashypaws has provided.

4 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

🙂  "I don't play golf in the snow often, but when I do I lose my golf ball."

Aren’t there black volviks now? Purple at least, just don’t use the yellow ones in snow 😉

• Like 1

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

2 minutes ago, phillyk said:

Aren’t there black volviks now? Purple at least, just don’t use the yellow ones in snow 😉

Pffffffffffttthhhh! 

Why didn't you tell me!!!!!????? i've been eating those like popcorn!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

2 hours ago, flashypaws said:

i can have my buddy teach you. 

I know how to hit a driver, the question is do you know how to hit the SHIFT key? If you are going to troll at least do so in a more grammatically correct fashion.  :roll:

• Like 2

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

12 minutes ago, NM Golf said:

I know how to hit a driver, the question is do you know how to hit the SHIFT key? If you are going to troll at least do so in a more grammatically correct fashion.  :roll:

Funny.  Hitting the shift key requires a certain amount of flexibility and finger lag.  Personally, I pull out the shift key before typing...

25 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Funny.  Hitting the shift key requires a certain amount of flexibility and finger lag.  Personally, I pull out the shift key before typing...

Pfffft - hitting the shift key is something ANYONE can do - they just need to correct posture and some practice.  I have carpal tunnel, rickets, 2 extra fingers on my left hand, mild dandruff, and my cholesteral is a little high and I can shift like nobody's business.  You should see my grampa shift.  It's a thing of beauty and he's missing both hands and can only see out of one color blind eye.

It's not rocket science.

(this would be great if f-paws is actually Charles Barkley writing funny posts just for shits and giggles...

OK Paws - if you are serious and not just trying to be funny, then you should be able to explain what this means in terms of the golf swing.  (for you long term members, hush, this is for Paws)

2019-01-04 13_36_51-Cary Schoen and The Lower Body Lie That Is Devastating Golf (Troll Thread) - Pag.jpg

Edited by rehmwa
  • Thumbs Up 1

Bill - 

Note: This thread is 1708 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!