IGNORED

Stop Lying About Your Distance - It's Pissing Me Off (Rant Thread)

AltGolfer
Note: This thread is 1702 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

40 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

That's not golf.  That's an ego thing.

Is it? You don't even know the guy.

40 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

The son of a good friend of mine is like that. Former minor league baseball player.  He hits 3 wood off the tee and still gets it out there 290 to 320... two fairways over.

Some people can swing really fast and still suck at golf. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

15 minutes ago, billchao said:

Is it? You don't even know the guy.

Some people can swing really fast and still suck at golf. 

Bill, you make a good point... I don't know the guy and it might not be an ego thing.  Case in point, my friend's son.  After his huge wayward drives he ends up at the green with the rest of us (sometimes I wonder how he got there) with his head hanging down in embarrassment to putt for his bogey or double bogey.  He never brags about his distance.

Edited by Double Mocha Man

7 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

The son of a good friend of mine is like that. Former minor league baseball player.  He hits 3 wood off the tee and still gets it out there 290 to 320... two fairways over.

Hey man, some of us are just happy to be on a fairway, we aren't picky ;-)  

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

12 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

That's not golf.  That's an ego thing.  Like a rookie pitcher who wants to throw his 98mph fastball all the time and get a lot of strikeouts.  He does, but at the cost of giving up a lot of runs, too.  Throwing vs. pitching.  

It didn't seem that way with this kid. He is learning the game and just had tremendous power. If he can learn to control it and know his distances, he could become really good. He also seemed very humble.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

13 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

That's not golf.  That's an ego thing.  Like a rookie pitcher who wants to throw his 98mph fastball all the time and get a lot of strikeouts.  He does, but at the cost of giving up a lot of runs, too.  Throwing vs. pitching.  

It’s not entirely fair to just call it an “ego” thing.  I feel for the baseball guys you are both describing.  If that is the swing he knows, that’s what he is going to hit.  Most golfers have no earthly idea what makes a swing tick. I hit the long ball, kinda wild.  I have been taking serious steps to curtail the inaccuracy even at the expense of the distance.  I would be happy to make this trade if it meant much better consistency.  But I’m a bit disheartened about it all ATM. It is a difficult transition because the distance reduction is easily apparent while the accuracy gain is not as quantifiable. I may just go back to hitting bombs that sail out of bounds 30% of the time. 

Last game I started and ended with the same ball always a great feat 300+yards out at times(many fairways hit..)

.. sadly my short game was rubbish esp putting ..

Really does my head in when I'm going for very short 20-40 yard chip in 3rd shot for PAR5 and blow a par when I should have birdied ... did my head in last game just blowing good drives one after another with missed short putts  AARRGGHHH!!!!

with the guys 40-50 yards back making some nice pars 

I seem to have many different games - two main ones--Big drives missing far too many fairways making it hard to score well(behind trees / dropped shots) or like the above driver on song feeling great but just can't hole the ball out very happy gilmore with the putter >>> get in the hole!!!!

Go Foxy Go

On 6/24/2019 at 5:20 PM, Double Mocha Man said:

To echo what some people have said here, having played baseball in college and then picked up golf as that was winding down, a lot of the people I play with (former teammates) fall into the long hitters, but mid-to-high handicappers.

Because of the general athleticism most of them have, and the experience with needing rotational power, generating club head speed is often the easiest part of golf. But, all the finer mechanics and consistency of strike takes a considerably longer time to acquire.

For some guys, it is absolutely an ego thing to just blast the ball as far as possible, but for many, it's a sense of "if the shot is likely to be wildly offline either way, better to be farther down the hole."

Justin

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Draw 11* Evenflow Blue 65 X

Fairway Wood: :callaway: Epic Flash 5 Wood 18* Tensei Blue AV 75 X
Irons: :titleist: AP3 4-PW Project X 6.5   |   Wedges: :callaway: MD4 50*/56*/60*
Putter: :odyssey: O-Works Tank #1

My Swing

On 6/16/2019 at 2:38 PM, Strandly said:

I don't disagree with the OP that people are... mistaken about how far they hit the ball.  I fail to see what handicap has to do with distance though.  I've seen all sizes of people spray the ball all over the place every distance possible so I don't think handicap has much to do with it.

I played in a 9 hole league last night against two 17 handicappers. The one was playing with blades and waited for the group ahead to clear the green on both par fives. He was pin high (but to the left) of a driveable par 4. 

• 1 month later...

I have no idea why people assume long hitters hit all over the place? My experience has been kind of the opposite. Most longer hitters I know are more accurate...

It’s really hard to score low even if you’re within 20-30 yards and even on the green the other half of the time.

There’s possibly some weird extrapolation thing going on here?

No matter how you dice it golf is a hard sport.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Haha.

This thread is funny. Half ppl are ranting the other half are bragging.

I'll join 

Unless you've got your name on your bag, your not out driving me. 

1 minute ago, shooter said:

Haha.

This thread is funny. Half ppl are ranting the other half are bragging.

I'll join 

My name is on my Pebble Beach bag tag. Does that count?

I wonder if the OP is still pissed off about people he doesn't know on things that have no impact in any way shape or form in his life.

(ironically, similar to this very post.....)

On 6/24/2019 at 4:20 PM, Double Mocha Man said:

That's not golf. 

that's his golf

On 6/27/2019 at 8:01 AM, edomingox said:

I carry 240.

me too - I use a mesh bag

Bill - 

They funniest thing about the whole thread, at least imo, was that most people aren't lying. The majority were just mistaken based on course yardage markers and fellow golfers. I know I was mistaken on how far I typically hit it before I started using GPS to track my shots. Even after using GPS I was still questioned. It used to bother me, I could have started a thread called "stop questioning my distance, it's pissing me off!" Now I just don't care, if anything I find the rants a bit amusing.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

46 minutes ago, shooter said:

captain kirk badass GIF

• Upvote 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

(edited)
40 minutes ago, Jeremie Boop said:

It used to bother me, I could have started a thread called "stop questioning my distance, it's pissing me off!" Now I just don't care, if anything I find the rants a bit amusing.

When I was younger, I cared for some reason.  (In the voice of Pinocchio) I'm a real boy!

I think I needed to prove myself by more than just a score; I had to be the biggest hitter. Now, I just play golf and do my thing.  Sure I can hit it, but my goal is to hit the shot I'm envisioning, nothing more than that.

I do find the rants amusing now and can laugh at myself for being the same way several years ago.

Edited by phillyk

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Note: This thread is 1702 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!