IGNORED

Stop Lying About Your Distance - It's Pissing Me Off (Rant Thread)

AltGolfer
Note: This thread is 1705 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

For people like me, its great just to hit the ball straight-ish and have a decent 2nd shot to the green,

Once in a while, when curiosity gets the better of me, I subtract the distance left to the green from the total yardage from the tees. That can often be depressing.

My guess is that people tend to think of their best 10% as "what they carry". The other 90% are all mishits.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Distance still speaks to our caveman instincts. Couple of big pops a round can bring a lot of joy regardless of score for many. 

Plus, not all lies we tell ourselves are counterproductive. Some of them help us cut through the heartbreaking fog of reality.. 😄  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Vishal S.

On 6/25/2019 at 4:09 AM, Cantankerish said:

It’s not entirely fair to just call it an “ego” thing.  I feel for the baseball guys you are both describing.  

The entire premise of this thread is ego driven, I can make one simple statement and I can usher in 20 responses in a day 😂

The OP thinks he’s the standard to beat and thrashes anyone who says they can, from there you get a ton of other responses that are either genuine or sarcastic that reflect what the OP stated.

Gotta love our egos 😁

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

2 hours ago, Lihu said:

The entire premise of this thread is ego driven, I can make one simple statement and I can usher in 20 responses in a day 😂

The OP thinks he’s the standard to beat and thrashes anyone who says they can, from there you get a ton of other responses that are either genuine or sarcastic that reflect what the OP stated.

Gotta love our egos 😁

I think his fragile little ego got dented a bit. He has not posted since August last year.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

On 7/29/2019 at 11:41 AM, phillyk said:

When I was younger, I cared for some reason.  (In the voice of Pinocchio) I'm a real boy!

I think I needed to prove myself by more than just a score; I had to be the biggest hitter. Now, I just play golf and do my thing.  Sure I can hit it, but my goal is to hit the shot I'm envisioning, nothing more than that.

I do find the rants amusing now and can laugh at myself for being the same way several years ago.

For some reason, the two bolded bits reminded me of Peter Pan saying "I'll never grow up"  Yet we all do, don't we.  Wonder if the OP will ever make it.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

I think his fragile little ego got dented a bit. He has not posted since August last year.

Could be because he's still looking for his 260 yard long drive that sailed into the right rough.  Agreed, he's a bit beyond his 3 minute limit.

I'm too busy trying to get my drive consistent to worry about someone else.......... I average between 150 and 260........Anywhere from the left fairway trees to the next fairway over on the right.........  LOL  If I ever do a 300+, I'll have been trying to hit across the Grand canyon ... with the 90 mph winds at my back!!!!!!

See the source image

Remember when reading posts...…. Communication: 80% Body Language; 15% Tone & 5% Actual Words
We'd all be best selling authors if we could communicate in the written word as well as we would like.

:aimpoint:    :bushnell:    :sunmountain:   :ogio:   :titleist:
:mizuno:  Mizuno ST180 Driver
:ping:  Ping G400 fairway 3 
:cleveland:  Cleveland HB Launcher Iron set  4-PW  50/56/60 CBX Wedges
:callaway:  64 Calloway Lob Wedge
 :scotty_cameron:    Scotty Camron GOLO 3

I hit a drive last week 320yds but I was using The Hammer...POW! So it doesn’t really count.

• Like 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

15 hours ago, Vinsk said:

I hit a drive last week 320yds but I was using The Hammer...POW! So it doesn’t really count.

Once did an experiment atthe range. "Does shouting POW/BOOM with a regular drive equate to more distance?"

Result was...No, but there was an increase in funny looks!

• Informative 1

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

5 minutes ago, RussUK said:

Once did an experiment atthe range. "Does shouting POW/BOOM with a regular drive equate to more distance?"

A martial arts HiYa works much better. Try it. 🤣

• Like 1

- Shane

1 hour ago, RussUK said:

You weren't yelling it correctly. I needs to occur exactly at impact. POW!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

27 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

You weren't yelling it correctly. I needs to occur exactly at impact. POW!

Watch a few re-runs of the old Batman and robin TV Show..........

See the source image

Remember when reading posts...…. Communication: 80% Body Language; 15% Tone & 5% Actual Words
We'd all be best selling authors if we could communicate in the written word as well as we would like.

:aimpoint:    :bushnell:    :sunmountain:   :ogio:   :titleist:
:mizuno:  Mizuno ST180 Driver
:ping:  Ping G400 fairway 3 
:cleveland:  Cleveland HB Launcher Iron set  4-PW  50/56/60 CBX Wedges
:callaway:  64 Calloway Lob Wedge
 :scotty_cameron:    Scotty Camron GOLO 3

On 8/26/2018 at 4:48 AM, AltGolfer said:

Before you make a smug comment. Yes, it bothers me too no end. Tired of the male ego. 

Most amateur golfers averages 220 yards(yes with roll) if they are lucky.

I mean just the other day i was talking about this on reddit and some guy said I'd be lucky to hit 260 with my slow looking swing. 

Hes trying to act like this distance is a bad thing. I'd be in the top 10 percentile regarding distance against amateurs.

Seen so many people talk shit on reddit and once i browse through their history i'm able to obtain their swing video and its laughable. Ya right you carry it 280... give me a effing break.

Just stop nobody believes you swing 115 too 120 mph bro. Statistic data backs up my point. Most 0-5 handicap only averages 250 distance.

I have never ran across someone IRL who hits 300 and i play single twilight heavily and mix up with people all the time. No, that one perfect drive you muscled out their with all your might bouncing off a cart-path doesn't mean you average 300.

I've rarely ran across anyone who hit it further than i do. Usually only time this occurs was when i use to play AJGA tournaments as a junior and these guys shoot under par on the regular.

Most people also don't even read the articles provided and brush it off stating it has "old people" mixed into it. If they actually read the article it goes by handicap. That "old guy" who has a 5 handicap can out-drive your 30+ handicap ass anyday and i put my house on it.

https://mygolfspy.com/mygolfspy-labs-your-distance-reality-check/

https://blog.trackmangolf.com/performance-of-the-average-male-amateur/

data2.png

Handicap-vs-average-driver-club-speed.png

Screenshot_4.jpg

I am 75 years old and hit my driver (Titleist 915D2 13.5)170 yards at best. What am I doing wrong? I hit my G15 four metal 140 yards. All of my clubs are -1” for accuracy.

On 7/29/2019 at 10:57 AM, GolfLug said:

Some of them help us cut through the heartbreaking fog of reality.. 😄  

Yes, the short-lived respite from the dank, dark, shadow of the despair of life.  Destined to end in a well of futility.

On 7/30/2019 at 9:01 AM, Lihu said:

you get a ton of other responses that are either genuine or sarcastic that reflect what the OP stated.

Does wry and amused mockery fall more into the 'genuine' category or the 'sarcastic' category???

asking for a friend

Bill - 

42 minutes ago, rehmwa said:

Yes, the short-lived respite from the dank, dark, shadow of the despair of life.  Destined to end in a well of futility.

Hell no. That's when you go out and buy the latest epic-mega-super-flash driver that will add 22 yards to your drive.....aaaaaanddd you start the cycle of 'self-affirmations' (cough..lies..cough) all over again. Deepak Chopra who??

Vishal S.

On 7/31/2019 at 1:20 PM, rehmwa said:

Does wry and amused mockery fall more into the 'genuine' category or the 'sarcastic' category???

asking for a friend

Hmm, that’s an excellent question ... I’ll feign insanity. 🤪😂

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Note: This thread is 1705 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!