Jump to content
AltGolfer

Stop Lying About Your Distance - It's Pissing Me Off (Rant Thread)

474 posts / 44849 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

7 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

So it is okay with you that someone can have a 2.8 fake handicap when their real handicap is closer to 12.8?

It’s only going to make them look stupid? I think most golfers could probably judge somebody’s handicap after 3 or 4 holes? 3 handicappers swing the club and strike the ball in a different way to 13 handicappers? When you get to 20 handicap the level of mistakes and poor consistency is much more obvious.  I’ve played with guys who claim to be 13-15 hcp and I’ve never seen them shoot below 95. In fact quite often they are over the ton.  In reality they’re 20+

Edited by Don Golfo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will be the honest guy here, 35 years old and best drive I hit was under 220 yards on the full swing simulator at 125 mph ball speed. I always think the simulator under estimates though. My 5 wood goes over 200, so I dont know whats wrong with the driver. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, BallMarker said:

Yeah. I forgot about biggest liars of them all, politicians.

:-)

Hah, yes. But I have to add, career politicians. 🤪

 

7 hours ago, Don Golfo said:

It’s only going to make them look stupid? I think most golfers could probably judge somebody’s handicap after 3 or 4 holes? 3 handicappers swing the club and strike the ball in a different way to 13 handicappers? 

I’d guess not hugely discernible except by experts?

However, I think he was making a political statement 😁

 

7 hours ago, mighty said:

I will be the honest guy here, 35 years old and best drive I hit was under 220 yards on the full swing simulator at 125 mph ball speed. I always think the simulator under estimates though. My 5 wood goes over 200, so I dont know whats wrong with the driver. 

Simulators usually show carry because it’s tough to know conditions. I don’t doubt that you hit your 5W 200 with roll, so it’s fairly consistent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

8 hours ago, Don Golfo said:

It’s only going to make them look stupid? I think most golfers could probably judge somebody’s handicap after 3 or 4 holes? 3 handicappers swing the club and strike the ball in a different way to 13 handicappers? When you get to 20 handicap the level of mistakes and poor consistency is much more obvious.  I’ve played with guys who claim to be 13-15 hcp and I’ve never seen them shoot below 95. In fact quite often they are over the ton.  In reality they’re 20+

I actually had the opposite happen to me early last summer. I had a day off from work so I cruised over to a course and jumped on. I got paired up with a nice couple and their neighbor. I ended up birdieing holes 1 and 3 and lipped out a birdie putt on number 2. The guy asked me "What's your handicap?" At the time it was just over 14. So, I told him, and he's like "No way, you're close to scratch." 

The funny part is that he continued to think I was close to scratch the entire round. Even when I finished with a 9 over 81. (So, I played 3 holes at 2 under, and 15 holes at 11 over.. pretty much right on my handicap.) Overall, I played well for me, but all he seemed to remember was those first 3 holes. He was totally convinced I was a scratch golfer. 

Funny how first impressions work. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

4 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I actually had the opposite happen to me early last summer. I had a day off from work so I cruised over to a course and jumped on. I got paired up with a nice couple and their neighbor. I ended up birdieing holes 1 and 3 and lipped out a birdie putt on number 2. The guy asked me "What's your handicap?" At the time it was just over 14. So, I told him, and he's like "No way, you're close to scratch." 

The funny part is that he continued to think I was close to scratch the entire round. Even when I finished with a 9 over 81. (So, I played 3 holes at 2 under, and 15 holes at 11 over.. pretty much right on my handicap.) Overall, I played well for me, but all he seemed to remember was those first 3 holes. He was totally convinced I was a scratch golfer. 

Funny how first impressions work. 

It’s your swing, he idolizes it! 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 minutes ago, Lihu said:

It’s your swing, he idolizes it! 😁

Ah, dude. I read that with a mouthful of coffee. I nearly laughed coffee out of my nose. 
I'm sure it's not my swing. I'm sure it's my lack of a pre-shot routine. … Very professional looking. (I type that with tongue firmly planted in cheek.) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

All but one long hitter I have played with in over 30 years of golf can only get it in the fairway for the first 3 or so holes...their scores and blood pressure soar once they start putting the balls in the trees.. I am not sure where the low handicap long hitters play (maybe with the good lady players I have never met). ps...the other day I played with a very long hitter who made it to the third stage or so of US Open qualifying. He had to wait for every green to clear and I think he shot 66 or something. Funny enough, he put his second shot on a par 6 into the trees beside the green and I got an eagle by hitting the green in three and sinking a long putt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, hoganbenn said:

All but one long hitter I have played with in over 30 years of golf can only get it in the fairway for the first 3 or so holes...their scores and blood pressure soar once they start putting the balls in the trees.. I am not sure where the low handicap long hitters play (maybe with the good lady players I have never met). ps...the other day I played with a very long hitter who made it to the third stage or so of US Open qualifying. He had to wait for every green to clear and I think he shot 66 or something. Funny enough, he put his second shot on a par 6 into the trees beside the green and I got an eagle by hitting the green in three and sinking a long putt.

This is a ridiculous post. Just about every Tour player is a long hitting "low handicap" as are a majority of college players and many of the guys I play with on a weekly basis. I don't know where you play, but hitting the ball a long way and hitting the ball in play are not mutually exclusive. There are lot's of players who can do it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

4 hours ago, hoganbenn said:

All but one long hitter I have played with in over 30 years of golf can only get it in the fairway for the first 3 or so holes...their scores and blood pressure soar once they start putting the balls in the trees.. I am not sure where the low handicap long hitters play (maybe with the good lady players I have never met).

Played a fair share of my rounds with +/scratch/low single digit golfers that hit it 280y and longer. Also played with a couple scratch and low single digit ladies. So too bad for you.

Yesterday during a tournament I was lucky to hit the path on the longest drive hole. Longest drive ever on that hole for me and on the fairway. But then there was Adam (he is one of those long hitters), he was 45y longer without hitting the path. 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

8 hours ago, NM Golf said:

This is a ridiculous post. Just about every Tour player is a long hitting "low handicap" as are a majority of college players and many of the guys I play with on a weekly basis. I don't know where you play, but hitting the ball a long way and hitting the ball in play are not mutually exclusive. There are lot's of players who can do it. 

I won't go as far as to say ridiculous, because I don't know where HoganBenn plays. But it really is kind of an odd comment. Without exception everyone I play with who's handicap is lower than mine is also longer than I am. I also feel bad for HoganBenn for not knowing any good female golfers. I know plenty. There isn't much better than mixed pairs match play.... okay that's just my opinion. 

 

I will say I do know one dude who is really long, and really wild off the tee. He's not very good, but he's by far the exception. This guy also refuses to work with a coach. I keep telling him almost any coach can fix crooked. Long is much harder to teach. We argue about it. He doesn't want a coach to change what he does. I'm like a good coach won't change how far you hit it. A good coach will just help you hit it a lot straighter. … Anyway, I'm off topic. As a rule good golfers, are long hitters. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

As a rule good golfers, are long hitters. 

I agree. I would argue that the skill and ability to hit the ball a long way lends itself to being able to hit it solidly and on target as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

12 hours ago, MacDutch said:

Played a fair share of my rounds with +/scratch/low single digit golfers that hit it 280y and longer. Also played with a couple scratch and low single digit ladies. So too bad for you.

Yesterday during a tournament I was lucky to hit the path on the longest drive hole. Longest drive ever on that hole for me and on the fairway. But then there was Adam (he is one of those long hitters), he was 45y longer without hitting the path. 😂

I am not talking 280 yards for god's sake...that will get you no internet fame..I am talking about the guys online (isn't this what the thread is about) who claim they swing faster than Tiger and that they average 350 off the tee..the guys who claim they hit every iron far longer than the guys on tour. The guy I played with who went through US Open qualifying could hit it Tour-like distances. but every other guy on the internet claims they can too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, hoganbenn said:

I am not talking 280 yards for god's sake...that will get you no internet fame..I am talking about the guys online (isn't this what the thread is about) who claim they swing faster than Tiger and that they average 350 off the tee..the guys who claim they hit every iron far longer than the guys on tour. The guy I played with who went through US Open qualifying could hit it Tour-like distances. but every other guy on the internet claims they can too.

That doesn't really happen here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 12/30/2018 at 6:21 PM, hoganbenn said:

All but one long hitter I have played with in over 30 years of golf can only get it in the fairway for the first 3 or so holes...their scores and blood pressure soar once they start putting the balls in the trees.. I am not sure where the low handicap long hitters play (maybe with the good lady players I have never met). ps...the other day I played with a very long hitter who made it to the third stage or so of US Open qualifying. He had to wait for every green to clear and I think he shot 66 or something. Funny enough, he put his second shot on a par 6 into the trees beside the green and I got an eagle by hitting the green in three and sinking a long putt.

If you meant 350 yards, I don’t think anyone would really disagree? That’s very rare. Even people claiming to drive 300 yards are pretty rare.

 

20 hours ago, hoganbenn said:

I am not talking 280 yards for god's sake...that will get you no internet fame..I am talking about the guys online (isn't this what the thread is about) who claim they swing faster than Tiger and that they average 350 off the tee..the guys who claim they hit every iron far longer than the guys on tour. The guy I played with who went through US Open qualifying could hit it Tour-like distances. but every other guy on the internet claims they can too.

I’d even challenge you to find all these posts from any golf internet site where the person in earnest claims to hit 350 yards on average?

Other than LD sites or people who are actually LD, I doubt you’d find more than a dozen out of millions of posts? Even then, prove that they don’t?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, Lihu said:

If you meant 350 yards, I don’t think anyone would really disagree? That’s very rare. Even people claiming to drive 300 yards are pretty rare.

 

I’d even challenge you to find all these posts from any golf internet site where the person in earnest claims to hit 350 yards on average?

Other than LD sites or people who are actually LD, I doubt you’d find more than a dozen out of millions of posts? Even then, prove that they don’t?

every forum has four guys

1...this is a zombie thread guy

2...did you know there is a search feature guy

3.I don't know the answer to your question, but I will answer anyway guy

4.and then there is the prove it guy

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, hoganbenn said:

every forum has four guys

4.and then there is the prove it guy

Doesn't mean he's wrong.

You left off the fifth guy, maybe also a sixth guy and a seventh guy, and maybe you are one of those.

Let's get back to the topic, though, eh? Because like I said before, not many people here are claiming outlandish distances. Never really have. This isn't really a site for braggarts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

23 minutes ago, hoganbenn said:

every forum has four guys

4.and then there is the prove it guy

 

We have a lot of prove it guys on this site which is why we don't have a lot of guys claiming to hit the ball ridiculous distances. You will find this site is data driven, there is little patience for outlandish claims and outdated philosophies. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...