IGNORED

Stop Lying About Your Distance - It's Pissing Me Off (Rant Thread)

AltGolfer
Note: This thread is 1680 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

4 hours ago, Lihu said:

You forgot hunters and other liars 🤪😂🤪

Yeah. I forgot about biggest liars of them all, politicians.

:-)

In my bag Driver: Cleveland CG tour black Fairway Woods: Diablo Octane 3 wood; Diablo 5 wood Irons: Mizuno MP53 5-9 Hybrid: Cobra 3, 4 T-Rail Wedge: 46* Cleveland, 50* Cleveland, 54* Titleist, 60* Titleist Putter: Odyssey protype #6 Ball: Maxfli U4/U6... But I'm not really picky about the ball I use.

7 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

So it is okay with you that someone can have a 2.8 fake handicap when their real handicap is closer to 12.8?

It’s only going to make them look stupid? I think most golfers could probably judge somebody’s handicap after 3 or 4 holes? 3 handicappers swing the club and strike the ball in a different way to 13 handicappers? When you get to 20 handicap the level of mistakes and poor consistency is much more obvious.  I’ve played with guys who claim to be 13-15 hcp and I’ve never seen them shoot below 95. In fact quite often they are over the ton.  In reality they’re 20+

Edited by Don Golfo

I will be the honest guy here, 35 years old and best drive I hit was under 220 yards on the full swing simulator at 125 mph ball speed. I always think the simulator under estimates though. My 5 wood goes over 200, so I dont know whats wrong with the driver. 

9 hours ago, BallMarker said:

Yeah. I forgot about biggest liars of them all, politicians.

:-)

Hah, yes. But I have to add, career politicians. 🤪

7 hours ago, Don Golfo said:

It’s only going to make them look stupid? I think most golfers could probably judge somebody’s handicap after 3 or 4 holes? 3 handicappers swing the club and strike the ball in a different way to 13 handicappers? 

I’d guess not hugely discernible except by experts?

However, I think he was making a political statement 😁

7 hours ago, mighty said:

I will be the honest guy here, 35 years old and best drive I hit was under 220 yards on the full swing simulator at 125 mph ball speed. I always think the simulator under estimates though. My 5 wood goes over 200, so I dont know whats wrong with the driver. 

Simulators usually show carry because it’s tough to know conditions. I don’t doubt that you hit your 5W 200 with roll, so it’s fairly consistent.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

8 hours ago, Don Golfo said:

It’s only going to make them look stupid? I think most golfers could probably judge somebody’s handicap after 3 or 4 holes? 3 handicappers swing the club and strike the ball in a different way to 13 handicappers? When you get to 20 handicap the level of mistakes and poor consistency is much more obvious.  I’ve played with guys who claim to be 13-15 hcp and I’ve never seen them shoot below 95. In fact quite often they are over the ton.  In reality they’re 20+

I actually had the opposite happen to me early last summer. I had a day off from work so I cruised over to a course and jumped on. I got paired up with a nice couple and their neighbor. I ended up birdieing holes 1 and 3 and lipped out a birdie putt on number 2. The guy asked me "What's your handicap?" At the time it was just over 14. So, I told him, and he's like "No way, you're close to scratch." 

The funny part is that he continued to think I was close to scratch the entire round. Even when I finished with a 9 over 81. (So, I played 3 holes at 2 under, and 15 holes at 11 over.. pretty much right on my handicap.) Overall, I played well for me, but all he seemed to remember was those first 3 holes. He was totally convinced I was a scratch golfer. 

Funny how first impressions work. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

4 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I actually had the opposite happen to me early last summer. I had a day off from work so I cruised over to a course and jumped on. I got paired up with a nice couple and their neighbor. I ended up birdieing holes 1 and 3 and lipped out a birdie putt on number 2. The guy asked me "What's your handicap?" At the time it was just over 14. So, I told him, and he's like "No way, you're close to scratch." 

The funny part is that he continued to think I was close to scratch the entire round. Even when I finished with a 9 over 81. (So, I played 3 holes at 2 under, and 15 holes at 11 over.. pretty much right on my handicap.) Overall, I played well for me, but all he seemed to remember was those first 3 holes. He was totally convinced I was a scratch golfer. 

Funny how first impressions work. 

It’s your swing, he idolizes it! 😁

• Like 1

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

2 minutes ago, Lihu said:

It’s your swing, he idolizes it! 😁

Ah, dude. I read that with a mouthful of coffee. I nearly laughed coffee out of my nose. 
I'm sure it's not my swing. I'm sure it's my lack of a pre-shot routine. … Very professional looking. (I type that with tongue firmly planted in cheek.) 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

All but one long hitter I have played with in over 30 years of golf can only get it in the fairway for the first 3 or so holes...their scores and blood pressure soar once they start putting the balls in the trees.. I am not sure where the low handicap long hitters play (maybe with the good lady players I have never met). ps...the other day I played with a very long hitter who made it to the third stage or so of US Open qualifying. He had to wait for every green to clear and I think he shot 66 or something. Funny enough, he put his second shot on a par 6 into the trees beside the green and I got an eagle by hitting the green in three and sinking a long putt.

3 hours ago, hoganbenn said:

All but one long hitter I have played with in over 30 years of golf can only get it in the fairway for the first 3 or so holes...their scores and blood pressure soar once they start putting the balls in the trees.. I am not sure where the low handicap long hitters play (maybe with the good lady players I have never met). ps...the other day I played with a very long hitter who made it to the third stage or so of US Open qualifying. He had to wait for every green to clear and I think he shot 66 or something. Funny enough, he put his second shot on a par 6 into the trees beside the green and I got an eagle by hitting the green in three and sinking a long putt.

This is a ridiculous post. Just about every Tour player is a long hitting "low handicap" as are a majority of college players and many of the guys I play with on a weekly basis. I don't know where you play, but hitting the ball a long way and hitting the ball in play are not mutually exclusive. There are lot's of players who can do it. 

• Like 2

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

4 hours ago, hoganbenn said:

All but one long hitter I have played with in over 30 years of golf can only get it in the fairway for the first 3 or so holes...their scores and blood pressure soar once they start putting the balls in the trees.. I am not sure where the low handicap long hitters play (maybe with the good lady players I have never met).

Played a fair share of my rounds with +/scratch/low single digit golfers that hit it 280y and longer. Also played with a couple scratch and low single digit ladies. So too bad for you.

Yesterday during a tournament I was lucky to hit the path on the longest drive hole. Longest drive ever on that hole for me and on the fairway. But then there was Adam (he is one of those long hitters), he was 45y longer without hitting the path. 😂

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NM Golf said:

This is a ridiculous post. Just about every Tour player is a long hitting "low handicap" as are a majority of college players and many of the guys I play with on a weekly basis. I don't know where you play, but hitting the ball a long way and hitting the ball in play are not mutually exclusive. There are lot's of players who can do it. 

I won't go as far as to say ridiculous, because I don't know where HoganBenn plays. But it really is kind of an odd comment. Without exception everyone I play with who's handicap is lower than mine is also longer than I am. I also feel bad for HoganBenn for not knowing any good female golfers. I know plenty. There isn't much better than mixed pairs match play.... okay that's just my opinion. 

I will say I do know one dude who is really long, and really wild off the tee. He's not very good, but he's by far the exception. This guy also refuses to work with a coach. I keep telling him almost any coach can fix crooked. Long is much harder to teach. We argue about it. He doesn't want a coach to change what he does. I'm like a good coach won't change how far you hit it. A good coach will just help you hit it a lot straighter. … Anyway, I'm off topic. As a rule good golfers, are long hitters. 

3 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

As a rule good golfers, are long hitters. 

I agree. I would argue that the skill and ability to hit the ball a long way lends itself to being able to hit it solidly and on target as well. 

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 

12 hours ago, MacDutch said:

Played a fair share of my rounds with +/scratch/low single digit golfers that hit it 280y and longer. Also played with a couple scratch and low single digit ladies. So too bad for you.

Yesterday during a tournament I was lucky to hit the path on the longest drive hole. Longest drive ever on that hole for me and on the fairway. But then there was Adam (he is one of those long hitters), he was 45y longer without hitting the path. 😂

I am not talking 280 yards for god's sake...that will get you no internet fame..I am talking about the guys online (isn't this what the thread is about) who claim they swing faster than Tiger and that they average 350 off the tee..the guys who claim they hit every iron far longer than the guys on tour. The guy I played with who went through US Open qualifying could hit it Tour-like distances. but every other guy on the internet claims they can too.

• Administrator
Just now, hoganbenn said:

I am not talking 280 yards for god's sake...that will get you no internet fame..I am talking about the guys online (isn't this what the thread is about) who claim they swing faster than Tiger and that they average 350 off the tee..the guys who claim they hit every iron far longer than the guys on tour. The guy I played with who went through US Open qualifying could hit it Tour-like distances. but every other guy on the internet claims they can too.

That doesn't really happen here.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On 12/30/2018 at 6:21 PM, hoganbenn said:

If you meant 350 yards, I don’t think anyone would really disagree? That’s very rare. Even people claiming to drive 300 yards are pretty rare.

20 hours ago, hoganbenn said:

I’d even challenge you to find all these posts from any golf internet site where the person in earnest claims to hit 350 yards on average?

Other than LD sites or people who are actually LD, I doubt you’d find more than a dozen out of millions of posts? Even then, prove that they don’t?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

2 hours ago, Lihu said:

If you meant 350 yards, I don’t think anyone would really disagree? That’s very rare. Even people claiming to drive 300 yards are pretty rare.

I’d even challenge you to find all these posts from any golf internet site where the person in earnest claims to hit 350 yards on average?

Other than LD sites or people who are actually LD, I doubt you’d find more than a dozen out of millions of posts? Even then, prove that they don’t?

every forum has four guys

1...this is a zombie thread guy

2...did you know there is a search feature guy

3.I don't know the answer to your question, but I will answer anyway guy

4.and then there is the prove it guy

• Administrator
15 minutes ago, hoganbenn said:

Doesn't mean he's wrong.

You left off the fifth guy, maybe also a sixth guy and a seventh guy, and maybe you are one of those.

Let's get back to the topic, though, eh? Because like I said before, not many people here are claiming outlandish distances. Never really have. This isn't really a site for braggarts.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

23 minutes ago, hoganbenn said:

We have a lot of prove it guys on this site which is why we don't have a lot of guys claiming to hit the ball ridiculous distances. You will find this site is data driven, there is little patience for outlandish claims and outdated philosophies. 

• Like 1

Note: This thread is 1680 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!