IGNORED

Break 80: The 6-6-6 Concept

golfsidekick
Note: This thread is 1788 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've actually watched several of his videos thanks to youtube suggestions.  Mostly what it comes down to is if you are good enough to shoot a score you will.  Having a goal in mind is fine, but saying it like it's gospel obviously doesn't work.  If it was that easy then the 18 handicap I play with would break 80 tonight.  Instead he gets stretches where he may very well be able to follow bits of the "advice" but naturally a hole will pop up where he tops a 3 wood, hooks, an iron, and 3 putts for a triple and all that careful planning goes out the window

• Like 1

Driver - Cleveland CG Black 265
Fairway Wood - Adams Tight Lies 16 Degrees
Hybrids - 18 and 20 Degrees Adams Pro
Irons - 4-PW Adams XTD
Wedges - 52 and 56 degree Cleavland CG16

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 4/30/2019 at 10:03 PM, iacas said:

Ha ha.

break70.jpg

From this video, a "stress free" sub-70 round:

Yep. I sure as heck know getting up and down 10 times out of 10 is as stress free as it gets, especially from 6300 yards…

10 out of 10 up and downs isn't stress free I'll agree. (In reality 9 for 9 because one was on a par-five). But 9 out of 18 greens isn't going to usually net you a 70. 

If I'm remembering correctly from LSW, I think you and Dave used the stat 12/18 GIR and 17/18 nGIR for a tour pro to shoot 72? Correct me if I'm wrong. I think he was near green on every hole, but still, law of averages say he shoots about 74 or 75 on a normal day.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, onthehunt526 said:

If I'm remembering correctly from LSW, I think you and Dave used the stat 12/18 GIR and 17/18 nGIR for a tour pro to shoot 72? Correct me if I'm wrong. I think he was near green on every hole, but still, law of averages say he shoots about 74 or 75 on a normal day.

It's not so much an average, though it kinda works out that way. Median scoring on the PGA Tour is just below 72, IIRC, and median GIR is about 66%.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 minute ago, iacas said:

It's not so much an average, though it kinda works out that way. Median scoring on the PGA Tour is just below 72, IIRC, and median GIR is about 66%.

Sounds about right. 

I will say the "thought" of stress-free golf is appealing. Though if not realistic. Breaking 80 or par, at least in my experience, you usually are going to have a few stressful moments in those rounds. I've learned to just plan the shot in front of me, execute it to the best of my ability rinse and repeat.

I don't think shooting 70 is about playing stress-free, I believe at that level it's more about GamePlanning, and executing the shot in front of you to your pre-planned shot zones, at least as much as you can, golf is far from perfect.

• Like 1

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

• Administrator
Just now, onthehunt526 said:

Sounds about right. 

I will say the "thought" of stress-free golf is appealing. Though if not realistic. Breaking 80 or par, at least in my experience, you usually are going to have a few stressful moments in those rounds. I've learned to just plan the shot in front of me, execute it to the best of my ability rinse and repeat.

I don't think shooting 70 is about playing stress-free, I believe at that level it's more about GamePlanning, and executing the shot in front of you to your pre-planned shot zones, at least as much as you can, golf is far from perfect.

My round yesterday was pretty "stress free…" but I'm just good enough to pull off the shots. There were a lot of moments where, had I been way less likely to pull off the shot, I'd have had "stress" (and poor shots to justify that stress).

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

2 minutes ago, iacas said:

My round yesterday was pretty "stress free…" but I'm just good enough to pull off the shots. There were a lot of moments where, had I been way less likely to pull off the shot, I'd have had "stress" (and poor shots to justify that stress).

I think confidence has a large bearing on lower scores, too. The knowledge and skill to know you are able to pull off a specific shot when needed helps, too.

Like, for example in one of your other threads you posted about hitting this punch 9-iron out of tree trouble onto the green. I want to say that the message there was, if you have a safe enough window, a go-to shot to get you either on the green or near the green, give it a try.

I believe confidence in sticky situations will lower the stress-level a few notches.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

• Administrator
35 minutes ago, onthehunt526 said:

I think confidence has a large bearing on lower scores, too. The knowledge and skill to know you are able to pull off a specific shot when needed helps, too.

This is where I get off the mental game train.

The ability comes first. It has to, otherwise, you're just an idiot. You can be confident all you want, but if you can't carry your 3W over a pond that ends 240 yards away, your confidence doesn't mean shit. You have to have the ability first.

35 minutes ago, onthehunt526 said:

I believe confidence in sticky situations will lower the stress-level a few notches.

Again, that stems from the ability to pull off the shot a very high percentage of the time.

Here are 2 videos about how to break 80..... Laugh all you want about this guy's swing, but he'll beat most of us on the golf course.

Spoiler

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

• Administrator

We've discussed these videos already, yes.

Note: This thread is 1788 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!