IGNORED

"Focus on the Process, Don't Care about the Result"

iacas
Note: This thread is 1977 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

19 minutes ago, iacas said:

Well, ignoring that you can "worry" about the result, and such a mindset actually works best for some kinds of people, this continues to miss the point that what I perceive as an increasing number of people are actually saying that you should not care about the result at all.

These people are in the minority, and they're getting the general saying or advice wrong, but this topic isn't directed at people who hear or interpret or repeat the advice correctly.

P.S. To the first point, Dr. Bhrett McCabe says that there are I think four types of mental modes and they all suit different people. There are those who perform best, for example, when they "catastrophize" the events. You wouldn't think that would be true, but he makes a case for it, and in my experience knows what he's talking about.

I don’t disagree. I was sharing a way of framing it that I found helpful to understand what is supposed to be meant when saying that. I thought it might be a helpful way for someone to reframe the idea when they have it wrong. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
Just now, Ty_Webb said:

I don’t disagree. I was sharing a way of framing it that I found helpful to understand what is supposed to be meant when saying that. I thought it might be a helpful way for someone to reframe the idea when they have it wrong. 

Okay.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I think defining what you mean by “results” is kind of key here.

Overall scoring average, or developing a swing that gives you the potential to lower your scoring average, or your score at the moment no matter how you swing are very different from each other.

The first one, improving overall scoring average, is far too broad to be a useful result.

Dropping back to old and familiar habits is what many bad players tend to do. They’re too focused on trying to keep their score down no matter what.

Developing that swing that has the potential to lower your score is very tangible, but takes a long time to do. This is obviously the right solution, but setting a goal for the result is in and of itself a big challenge. How do you define progress? That’s tough to learn. Which is why so many people have trouble with this.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I've read several of Bob Rotellas books, "Zen Golf", "The Inner Game of Golf", and a 3-4 other books on the mental game of golf. A common theme in all those books as it relates to this thread is to definitely CARE about the result of your shot but never WORRY about it.

19 hours ago, TRUCKER said:

I've read several of Bob Rotellas books, "Zen Golf", "The Inner Game of Golf", and a 3-4 other books on the mental game of golf. A common theme in all those books as it relates to this thread is to definitely CARE about the result of your shot but never WORRY about it.

That is what I got out of those books too.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

To me, they are intertwined. If you take out a desired result, then you have no problem you want to fix. If that is the case, then why do a process? I think people who don't see results will end up not sticking to the process.

How many golfers actually just like to practice because they enjoy practicing? I doubt it is many. I enjoy practicing because I enjoy getting better. I know when I practice correctly I see improvements. I like seeing results on the course and results in what I am practicing.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/26/2018 at 8:07 PM, iacas said:

Though technically he isn't telling you to not care about the result, the implication here remains to de-emphasize caring about the result. How much is "too much" after all?

Image from iOS.jpg

On 9/27/2018 at 12:38 AM, Big C said:

Erik, you're stretching here. The entire underpinning of Rotella's philosophy is to overcome the mental roadblocks that keep people from playing their best golf. Granted, he goes about it from the perspective of the mental game, but his whole career is built on helping people improve the result.

And I think you are being dis-ingenuous with the question of "too much." I'm sure you know people who are wound way too tight on the course. Who care so much about hitting the perfect shot or going low in a tournament, that any mis-fire or bad break sends them into a mental funk. I certainly do, and I don't come into contact with nearly as many golfers as you do. 

Rotella isn't saying don't care - or anything close to that. But he does seem to be saying that - on the continuum of the "emotional investment" spectrum - guys who care too much about the result probably perform more poorly than guys who care too little. And frankly, I think he's absolutely correct.

How much is "too much"? Allow me to introduce you to my buddy who will go screaming across the course like a banshee on fire if he mishits a shot! It can get to be embarrassing at times! 

Admittedly, the pay attention only to the process mantra comes pretty close to the "swing your swing" ideologies of Golf in the Kingdom and Bagger Vance. The "woogie, woogie", mystical approach to golf. 

But I'm not saying these ideas are totally worthless. They can get your mind off the result, which is tension inducing. If you hit a great shot, but get a weird bounce that lands you in a bad position, is that your fault? 

It's not, and you shouldn't blame yourself for it. 

31 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

If you hit a great shot, but get a weird bounce that lands you in a bad position, is that your fault? 

Of course not. It's the Golf Gods. And I loathe them.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

9 hours ago, Vinsk said:

Of course not. It's the Golf Gods. And I loathe them.

Only on a golf course.

Smite.jpg

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

50 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

Only on a golf course.

Smite.jpg

Lol! Gary Larson....the best. I collected all his books. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Note: This thread is 1977 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!