IGNORED

How Do I Start Playing Golf When I Have No Friends to Play With?

adampaul
Note: This thread is 1948 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. You go as a single and will probably get added to a group or another single.

2. Make friends where you are. Invite them to play.

3. Play alone.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Start playing, and pick up golfing buddies on the route. A few ideas for you 

• Some clubs have buddying schemes - some making more effort with this than others. Lookout for the ones that mention this and ask about it. 
  • Some clubs run academy schemes for those new to the game, so you'll then be able to get paired with people in a similar position. 
  • Talk to people about golf , mention you enjoy playing - then people will say 'oh I play golf' or 'my husband plays' etc, and that can lead to games. 
  • Just play solo rounds and people will invite to join them as they offer you the chance to play through - accept the invitation and strike up some banter. 
  • Play in competitions where you'll be paired with people. 

• Upvote 1

First, as a beginning golfer, you can always go to the range by yourself and that's the place to start.

When you are ready to take it on the course, just find the times when the courses are less busy.  At least in my part of the world, singles can usually get on without a problem in the afternoons. 

When playing as a single, you often join other singles to even out play.  

If you find a course that you particularly like, they may well have a club or association that has regular competitions. 

• Like 1

Dont look so creepy...

Seriously though, you don't need friends to play and enjoy golf. At its core, it is a solitary game. As others have said, you can always get on and going a group as a single at nearly any muni or public course if you desire some camaraderie. Even during peak times it shouldn't be a problem. 

• Like 2

Like has been said, solo rounds are good. You can get round pretty quick. Just make sure you play by yourself and not with yourself. The latter is frowned upon at many courses :-P

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

You don't need friends to play golf, although it is probably better if you do. I have alot of friends who won't go near a golf course. 

You can always make friends while on the course. Some will be short term, while others might last a life time. Join a league, and see what happens.

The one thing to remember is that the golf course is your best friend when out there playing. The golf course treats you the way you want to be treated. Everything it offers is always on positive note, which is what good friends do for each other. 

• Like 2

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I second the idea of joining a men's club at a local course. You'll meet a bunch of people through that.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

I started playing when I first moved to PA (Collegeville near King of Prussia) and knew no one.  Even when I made friends from work, none of them played.  So I always went out as a single and often got paired up with strangers.  

Every weekend I would go out early in the morning to play and soon got paired up regularly with a couple of older gentlemen.  After two or three weeks, they realized I was always there on weekends, so they took me in their "wings" and I had a regular playing partners from then on.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Book a tee time as a single or walk on to the course and get paired up with random people.

You can do this indefinitely. 

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

5 hours ago, adampaul said:

How do I start playing golf when I have no friends to play with? Could you have any suggestions for me?

As a starting point, take some group lessons to learn the very basics.  Then practice a fair amount at a driving range until you are capable of hitting the ball every time you swing and generally hit the ball in somewhat the correct direction.  Once you have accomplished those two items, consider going to a course and playing 9 holes.  As others have said, one can often join another group of 1-3 players or when it is not busy, play alone.

Do not buy a set of clubs and go off to the course without learning the basics and becoming competent enough to hit the ball.

Brian Kuehn

I agree with @bkuehn1952 - start with lessons, and a group lesson is a great way to meet similarly skilled (e.g. unskilled) golfers who you will initially feel most comfortable around while learning the the game. Don't forget to also spend some time learning about golf etiquette and the basics of the Rules of Golf.

I would not suggest you go to the range and try to "figure it out", and then attempt to transfer what little you might have learned to the actual course.  No better way to learn bad habits that then take years to unlearn.  Take some lessons, get a few range sessions under your belt, then give the course a try during non-peek times.

Most of all, have fun and set your expectations for success at a reasonable level.  This game is hard!

I liked Patch's post.

I will add that you make friends in golf the same way you make friends anywhere else. Don't overthink it.

While I do enjoy playing with friends, I enjoy golf just as much playing alone.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

On 9/4/2018 at 11:13 AM, Patch said:

You don't need friends to play golf, although it is probably better if you do. I have alot of friends who won't go near a golf course. 

You can always make friends while on the course. Some will be short term, while others might last a life time. Join a league, and see what happens.

The one thing to remember is that the golf course is your best friend when out there playing. The golf course treats you the way you want to be treated. Everything it offers is always on positive note, which is what good friends do for each other. 

My golf course emotionally and mentally abuses me.

I first started playing without knowing anyone who golfed where I live. I played by myself at first and started pairing up with strangers a bit later. Some golf courses will try to make foursomes and will create them for you. You just make a tee time or show up. Most will do this during busier times. Since everyone knows that the course does that, they know they will likely get paired up with strangers and are generally quite cordial and friendly. Those who don't want to play with strangers will try to make foursomes with people they know. Most people don't golf, so it's hard to find folks to play with, and its hard to find common times for rounds when you do meet fellow golfers who want to play together. 

If you prefer to play rounds by yourself--which I did when I first started, then the best times to go are late mornings during the week, mid- late afternoons on the weekends. It's not generally busy then, and courses don't care if you play alone then. There is one course I play that doesn't, as a rule, force strangers into foursomes. Oddly enough, some of my best rounds with strangers were at that course. When people ask you to join them there, they are sincere and I've had interesting and enjoyable rounds. Generally, since the strangers you play with are into golf, there's a lot to talk about and a common bond that unites us all. At other places I've had a few rounds with strangers who were not so happy to be playing with a stranger--they tend to warm up when they realize your ok,  a few rounds with some golfers who were annoying (mostly full of themselves), and a round here and there with strangers who were quite probably a bit nuts (you realize why this type play alone pretty quick). The beauty there is you walk away at the end of the round and never see them again.

You never need friends to golf. It is a rare game that you get to know the players in your group over the course of the round. 98% of the time you will meet some really nice people. 

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

You can do that - Play Alone or Play with Coatch. 

In My Bag : Cleveland Golf 2017 Huntington Beach Best Golf Putter
                   TaylorMade Men’s M2 Driver
                   Cleveland Golf Men’s 588 RTX Satin

Note: This thread is 1948 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!