Sign in to follow this  
Osnola

Can't Seem To Get Better...

21 posts / 1613 viewsLast Reply

I have been playing golf for about 15 years.  I am 69 years old and this is my story.  I have shot scores over the past 10 years in the low 90'  .  I have broken 90 three times.  I play by the rules, no mulligans, play it as it lays, no gimme putts.  Play it from tee to in the hole.  I have taken lessons a few times over the past few years and have seen all aspects of my game improve.  BUT....I still shoot 90...I putt better than ever before, my driver is better and more consistent (I have lost a few yards in distance), my iron play is pretty good, play around the green is better....But I still shoot 90.  i know that if I have all parts working but one (say putting) it will be hard to break 90 regularly.

Just curious, has anyone else out there experienced this?  If so, what did you do to get over the hump and get into the high 80's?????

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

Perhaps shooting 90 is just your score. Not everyone is capable of shooting the better scores they want. I have heard it referred to as one's "genetic timiming barrier" meaning one's genetics are responsible for how well they can do something. 

I was a much better baseball player than I ever was a golfer. Golf was probably #4 behind basesball, football, and track. Maybe even tied with tennis.That said, golf by far, has been my most favorite game to play.

If your driving, and fairway games are satisfactory, maybe start putting in more practice time with your putting, and chipping games. I am your age, and I rely heavily on my short game to save strokes. I just don't have the distance anymore to save many strokes using my longer, full swing clubs. 

Being an older golfer and shooting scores in the 90s, playing pure, by the rules golf, is a pretty decent accomplishment. Most golfers, in any age group, can't do it. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm basically in the same situation. 

Started 6 or 7 years ago, got to this point and (from a score standpoint) hit the wall about 2 or 3 years ago. It's a range from mid 80s on my best days to over 100 on the worst, with low to mid 90s being a typical day.

My swing itself has definitely evolved. The good shots are better, longer and straighter. The bad shots are are still sideways but just go a lot further in the wrong direction. The weak slices I used to hit into the rough, now go into the hazards, woods or off the property entirely.

The net result is still scoring at a slightly-worse-than-bogey level.

I guess I'm commiserating and not so much helping.

@mcanadiens I'm in the same boat as you score wise. I've only been playing 3-4 years now, but I'm stuck. The only thing that has improved is I'm hitting the ball farther. 

At 66, I've seen some of my skills and distance start to erode. I finally moved up a set of tees this summer (5800-6000 yds) and have begun to see some improvement and definitely more enjoyable golf. I have the distance to reach all the holes in regulation and now I have regained my enthusiasm for the game I've played for over 50 years. If you are stuck in a rut, consider moving up a set of tees - and  see if that reignites the passion and also helps kickstart the scoring. You might find you like the new tees and decide to stay there.

You said yourself that you are loosing distance. It´s time to hit from shorter tees like @RWC said.

I'm probably weak on advice but I can offer encouragement that it can happen.  After I had been playing a few years I went through a long period where I was stuck between a 10 and 11 handicap.  I really wanted to be a "9" so I could say I was single digits.  So matter how much I practiced or improved I was always between 10 and 11.  I distinctly remember one day leaving the course totally pissed off and saying to my wife, "I know I'm better in every phase of the game but my scores don't change."  My next round was a very good one and I mysteriously went from a 10-11 to an "8" in about 10 rounds.  What changed, don't really know other than confidence and experience. 

Not to sound trite but my standard advice is if you are trying to break 100 work on your swing and if you are trying to break 90 work on your short game (somewhere IMO in the mid-80's it becomes more complicated).  But I highly recommend keeping stats on your rounds to see where you are losing strokes and what to work on most.  Really just something simple like: 3 putts from closer than 35 feet, greens missed chipping, greens missed pitching (50 yards and in), greens missed with wedges, greens missed with short irons, long iron errors (penalties or failure to advance ball to chip or pitch), and driving errors (drives that prevent a GIR due to penalties or pitch outs).  I still do a form of this today.

On 9/4/2018 at 8:54 AM, Osnola said:

I have been playing golf for about 15 years.  I am 69 years old and this is my story.  I have shot scores over the past 10 years in the low 90'  .  I have broken 90 three times.  I play by the rules, no mulligans, play it as it lays, no gimme putts.  Play it from tee to in the hole.  I have taken lessons a few times over the past few years and have seen all aspects of my game improve.  BUT....I still shoot 90...I putt better than ever before, my driver is better and more consistent (I have lost a few yards in distance), my iron play is pretty good, play around the green is better....But I still shoot 90.  i know that if I have all parts working but one (say putting) it will be hard to break 90 regularly.

Just curious, has anyone else out there experienced this?  If so, what did you do to get over the hump and get into the high 80's?????

I totally get this.  I feel as though I am easily the best I have ever been at the game, but I still have a decent sized range in terms of score and I can't seem to leave the higher end of my range behind, it's like the game gets tougher or something to keep your score where it was.  I feel like I see more shots than ever where I find myself saying "I don't think I could do a whole lot better on that shot than that..."  And the shot I just hit wasn't that sensational.  🙂

I agree with those that have suggested that there is a "talent level" in all of us and it is just very hard to go beyond that level.  I know in my case, I have become pretty decent at all phases of the game, and it has dawned on me that "pretty decent" is about as much talent as I have for the game.

Meh, I'll still work on things as long as I feel like playing, what else can you do??  Maybe a breakthrough will suddenly come about..life is like that sometimes.  

You're not likely to get better at your age. Just have fun playing golf. My dad (who is about to turn 77) has a close group of friends that I've played golf with for many years. And their abilities and distance dropped off a cliff when they all became 70-75. My dad (who used to play 200 rounds/year) has quit.

Practice, and keep trying to improve, but just enjoy the game.

Also, Longleaf tee system. Design your own courses using google maps.

Edited by Aguirre

4 hours ago, Aguirre said:

You're not likely to get better at your age. Just have fun playing golf. My dad (who is about to turn 77) has a close group of friends that I've played golf with for many years. And their abilities and distance dropped off a cliff when they all became 70-75. My dad (who used to play 200 rounds/year) has quit.

Practice, and keep trying to improve, but just enjoy the game.

Also, Longleaf tee system. Design your own courses using google maps.

I'm about to turn 73. I dropped further in distance when RA and shoulder problems hit this year. I try to play 1xweek when not too hot. I play it forward to fit my driver distance per USGA guides and try to make the course I play 5600-5800 yards. Easy to get a scorecard online and figure it out if the forward tees don't match that goal. All should do it. Golf is more enjoyable when I'm not killing myself from pro tees. Best, -Marv

My 7th year. I'm 65. Shot a 160 and stopped counting. This year have shot a low of 79 and a high of 104.

The last two months I've decided to try and keep the expectations under control. I have reached a plateau that I appear to have settled. I just want to enjoy the walk.

I'm at the exact same spot.  Can't really break 90.  Shot an 89 twice but still doesn't really feel like I broke 90 because I feel I may have missed a stroke and on one of the rounds a couple of holes were under repair so there was a fake green 20 yards in front of the real green.  Kinda feels cheap.

I'm 44 at the pinnacle of my ability.  Able to hit long and have gained a lot of consistency in my full swing over the last year or two.

I also feel like I've hit a wall but I do agree with @gbogey.  I'm losing so many strokes due to the short game and the other strokes come from one or two errant tee shots.  There used to be a lot more errant tee shots so that's a big plus.

I have just began practicing the short game more.  Going out of my way to a range that has a short game area and a par 3 course I've been playing to become a better wedge player.  I think the short game has been harder to transfer to the course than the full swing.  I mean, a lot of short game shots are meant to SCORE and there is very little margin for error.  A chip that leaves you a 3 foot putt and a chip that leaves you a 5 and a half foot putt are both pretty good shots for a rec player.  But that 2 and a half foot difference means a ton when you count up all of your bogeys vs. pars in a round.

I can say I've become very consistent.  It's almost always a mid to low 90's round and I haven't been over a hundred in a long time.  Even when I'm not hitting 'em that great.

Edited by hespeler

9 minutes ago, hespeler said:

I also feel like I've hit a wall but I do agree with @gbogey.  I'm losing so many strokes due to the short game and the other strokes come from one or two errant tee shots.  There used to be a lot more errant tee shots so that's a big plus.

I have just began practicing the short game more.  Going out of my way to a range that has a short game area and a par 3 course I've been playing to become a better wedge player.  I think the short game has been harder to transfer to the course than the full swing.  I mean, a lot of short game shots are meant to SCORE and there is very little margin for error.  A chip that leaves you a 3 foot putt and a chip that leaves you a 5 and a half foot putt are both pretty good shots for a rec player.  But that 2 and a half foot difference means a ton when you count up all of your bogeys vs. pars in a round.

I can say I've become very consistent.  It's almost always a mid to low 90's round and I haven't been over a hundred in a long time.  Even when I'm not hitting 'em that great.

I can only relate to my own experience, but when I was trying to break 90 I read a stat, I hope I remember correctly, that players who shoot 90 average 4 GIRs and 2 scramble pars.  I had the GIRs but not the scrambles.  As fate would have it, I had a month where work was very busy and I didn't have time for a 4 hour round.  But I was able to squeeze in a large bucket at the range 2 times a week.  I did nothing for those sessions except chip and hit wedge shots, everything was less than a full swing (110 yards at the time), never tried to hit the same yardage or target more than twice in a row.   Did wonders for my game.  Extra benefit was that this also improved my full swing/long game.  When you have confidence that if you miss the green, you will hit the green with the next shot, you swing better knowing a miss isn't deadly.  Same thing with bad drives - having confidence that I can punch out to a wedge distance and then hit the green for a bogey or potential scramble takes a lot of pressure off approach shots.

3 minutes ago, gbogey said:

I can only relate to my own experience, but when I was trying to break 90 I read a stat, I hope I remember correctly, that players who shoot 90 average 4 GIRs and 2 scramble pars.  I had the GIRs but not the scrambles.  As fate would have it, I had a month where work was very busy and I didn't have time for a 4 hour round.  But I was able to squeeze in a large bucket at the range 2 times a week.  I did nothing for those sessions except chip and hit wedge shots, everything was less than a full swing (110 yards at the time), never tried to hit the same yardage or target more than twice in a row.   Did wonders for my game.  Extra benefit was that this also improved my full swing/long game.  When you have confidence that if you miss the green, you will hit the green with the next shot, you swing better knowing a miss isn't deadly.  Same thing with bad drives - having confidence that I can punch out to a wedge distance and then hit the green for a bogey or potential scramble takes a lot of pressure off approach shots.

Yeah makes sense.  There are times I'm well above average in GIR's for a 90's player and there are times I can't hit a green to save my life.  The times I hit a lot of greens, I can't putt at all.  The times I don't hit many greens, I chip and pitch pretty well and putt pretty well.  90's every time...

Last few range sessions I've been hitting a ton of half and 3/4 wedge shots and I am slowly but surely seeing some improvement.

Played today and shot 93.  Shot 50 on the front and 43 on the back.  Crazy thing is I do this all the time and the back is a bit tougher than the front.  It is narrow. I hit 7 Fairways, and had 36 putts for the round.  I had 3 pars today, all on par 3's....

I did discover something today, and when I fixed it I hit the ball better and with a bit more accuracy.  I was setting up with the face just slightly open, probably the reason I miss 90% of my shots to the right....(I am right handed)...

I had one, 1 putt green, and one 3 putt green.  Conditions were pretty wet.  We had TS Gordon go through on Wednesday and got rain again on Thursday.  Ground was wet and played early so there was a lot of dew on the course which slowed the roll a bit...Grass in rough was long since they have been unable to cut it all week.

3 minutes ago, Osnola said:

I played today from tees that were 5900 yards....I like to play 5800 to 6000 yards...

How many GIR's did you have and more importantly, how many GIRs +1 did you have?