IGNORED

Range Time, Practice or Wait?

Note: This thread is 2023 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

First off, I am not an ardent fan of the driving range.

I do realize the benefits of feedback relative to ball flight, distance e.t.c.  I do not like range time shortly before a round citing fatigue and other factors.

I am a anxiously awaiting the arrival of a new driver and anticipate the experience of trial run on the driving range. Meanwhile, I am hesitant to visit range with my current driver noting that there is nothing particularly wrong with but at the same time want to "get into a groove" before hitting a new driver. Does that make any sense? OTOH, hitting the range "cold" is akin to clearing the pallet as in wine tasting.

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 minute ago, Hacker James said:

Does that make any sense?

No

:-)

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

7 minutes ago, David in FL said:

No

uh...Okay...at least I am consistent in that quite often what I say doesn't (except to me). 

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

I don't spend much tme on the range myself. Probably not enough time if I was truthful wth myself. My gripe is the range balls, and the inconsistencies when compared to my regular game balls. That, and rubber mats when real grass is not available.. 

However the the range does have it's place when using longer clubs, and when the short game area doesn't allow for enough room to use those longer clubs for a full swing.

If I were expecting a new club, or clubs, I wouldn't for go my my range time. I would keep practicing. The new club(s), I would hope would be per my my current swing specs. I would want to keep those swing spec as current as possible, for a better fit when the new club(s)arrive. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

2 minutes ago, Patch said:

If I were expecting a new club, or clubs, I wouldn't for go my my range time. I would keep practicing. The new club(s), I would hope would be per my my current swing specs. I would want to keep those swing spec as current as possible, for a better fit when the new club(s)arrive. 

yah, that is partly what I was referring to, but then again, I am fickle. Its nearly a moot point given   I don't like range time to begin with, but am also thinking I should get a little acquainted with new equipment prior to an actual round. I would hate to take 18 holes to finally figure things out.

"James"

52 minutes ago, Hacker James said:

I do realize the benefits of feedback relative to ball flight, distance e.t.c.  I do not like range time shortly before a round citing fatigue and other factors.

I am a anxiously awaiting the arrival of a new driver and anticipate the experience of trial run on the driving range. Meanwhile, I am hesitant to visit range with my current driver noting that there is nothing particularly wrong with but at the same time want to "get into a groove" before hitting a new driver. Does that make any sense? OTOH, hitting the range "cold" is akin to clearing the pallet as in wine tasting.

I think you're overthinking it. If you use the range, go. If you don't, don't go. I like to try out a new club at the range, too, but I won't change my routine in anticipation of a new club's arrival.

• Thumbs Up 2

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

1 hour ago, billchao said:

I think you're overthinking it. If you use the range, go. If you don't, don't go. I like to try out a new club at the range, too, but I won't change my routine in anticipation of a new club's arrival.

Probably.  Too much time on my hands.

"James"

5 hours ago, Hacker James said:

It's an interesting piece of golfer self analysis - yet still somehow confusing. 

I get you are not sure if you should practice with old driver before taking the new driver out.
But not sure I understand, or even agree with your clearing the pallet metaphor.

5 hours ago, David in FL said:

No

Come on it makes some sense....

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

49 minutes ago, gregsandiego said:

It's an interesting piece of golfer self analysis - yet still somehow confusing. 

I get you are not sure if you should practice with old driver before taking the new driver out.
But not sure I understand, or even agree with your clearing the pallet metaphor.

Come on it makes some sense....

I dunno...I am prolly full of it...I guess my reasoning was to start fresh without having any influence feed over from the current driver. The wine tasting metaphor was more or less tongue in cheek...pun intended. 

"James"

I tend to only go to the range when I am going bad and lacking confidence. Prior to a round I try and hit no more than 20. Last time out 2 wedges, 2 8 irons and 6 drivers. Went out and played great. I certainly believe that you can tire yourself out if you over do it prior to a round. Never could I go out and hit the amount of balls the pros do before a round!

Ping G400 9 degree driver, 3 Wood and 3 Hybrid, Ping 2016 G 4-UW,  Ping Glide Forged Pro 52 degree, Ping Glide 2.0 WS 56 degree, Ping Craz-E Putter, Titleist Tour Soft balls

I think I'd continue my normal routine as much as possible.  I DO think that taking a few swings with a new club on the range, where it doesn't matter, is a good idea.  But I enjoy my range time, albeit in small doses (typically 45 minutes or less).  I continue to work on specific swing changes, and I can do that just fine with a mid-iron.  My normal practice session includes mostly those mid-irons, with maybe a half-dozen driver swings.  Same with my typical warm-up before playing.  The way I think of it, if you need to learn a new swing to go with your new driver, you bought the wrong driver.  So do whatever you normally do to maintain or improve your normal swing.

• Like 2

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

1 hour ago, DaveP043 said:

The way I think of it, if you need to learn a new swing to go with your new driver, you bought the wrong driver.  So do whatever you normally do to maintain or improve your normal swing.

yah, sounds about right. I do not expect much of a change or learning curve in the transition. The new driver appears similar. Current driver is 440 cc (Tour Edge XCG7 beta) and the new will be 443cc. appearance similar in shape weight distribution and COG probably won't change that much. Heck, had I not seen the Titleist the other day while playing, I would not have even thought about it, but as it were...got a little star struck. One good thing is that in the event I want another shaft adapter, there is a place near that makes them for all the top brands (Billy Bob's Golf) and I already have a couple or three shafts on hand. I also ordered the Titleist torque wrench and head cover just in case mine doesn't fit.

Edited by Hacker James

"James"

1 hour ago, DaveP043 said:

I think I'd continue my normal routine as much as possible.  I DO think that taking a few swings with a new club on the range, where it doesn't matter, is a good idea.  But I enjoy my range time, albeit in small doses (typically 45 minutes or less).  I continue to work on specific swing changes, and I can do that just fine with a mid-iron.  My normal practice session includes mostly those mid-irons, with maybe a half-dozen driver swings.  Same with my typical warm-up before playing.  The way I think of it, if you need to learn a new swing to go with your new driver, you bought the wrong driver.  So do whatever you normally do to maintain or improve your normal swing.

also, I can work on swing from my at home set up which I have described ad nauseum.

"James"

Although I admit my response was a bit tongue-in-cheek, it really doesn’t make any sense.

The new club will (hopefully) give improved performance, but with the same swing.  He’s not going to be changing his swing to somehow accommodate the new club.

There’s absolutely no reason not to continue to do whatever he’d like to do in the meantime.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

14 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Although I admit my response was a bit tongue-in-cheek, it really doesn’t make any sense.

The new club will (hopefully) give improved performance, but with the same swing.  He’s not going to be changing his swing to somehow accommodate the new club.

There’s absolutely no reason not to continue to do whatever he’d like to do in the meantime.

I enjoyed your response and wit. Sounded like something I would say. Curt and to the point 

"James"

I've been hitting the range a lot lately.  I feel like I'm improving my swing so as a 29 or so HC, I'm sure it's quite more dramatic than someone who is quite a bit better and doesn't see as much improvement.. 

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

3 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

The way I think of it, if you need to learn a new swing to go with your new driver, you bought the wrong driver.  So do whatever you normally do to maintain or improve your normal swing.

This. The fact that you're getting a new driver shouldn't change your normal routine. Personally, I like the range. It's a lot cheaper to work on my swing and a lot less frustrating.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

On 9/5/2018 at 8:16 PM, Hacker James said:

I dunno...I am prolly full of it...I guess my reasoning was to start fresh without having any influence feed over from the current driver. The wine tasting metaphor was more or less tongue in cheek...pun intended. 

I get it now! Maybe swing the orange whip!

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

Note: This thread is 2023 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!