Sign in to follow this  
Hacker James

Range Time, Practice or Wait?

25 posts / 1776 viewsLast Reply

Not to pick a nit, errrrr, what the hell, I'll do it. The word is "palate" not "pallet". I sold fine wine for 30 years and a pallet is something that cases of wine sit on while being shipped. OK, back on track.

I'm not a big fan of the range either, which is kind of weird since I was bona fide range rat back in the day when I was really learning how to play. I guess I had more patience back then. These days I'd rather just go play, although I'll hit the range when a specific problem pops up that I need to work on.

However, I've noticed that I've needed to "learn" how to hit every Driver I've ever bought. No substitute for range time there. That being said, I've never been fit for a club.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Register for free today and you won't see this ad spot again!

34 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Not to pick a nit, errrrr, what the hell, I'll do it. The word is "palate" not "pallet". I sold fine wine for 30 years and a pallet is something that cases of wine sit on while being shipped. OK, back on track.

Duly noted.  I really don't know a whole lot about wine, only what I like in the varietals (probably misspelled that too). I tend to agree with your assessment of range time also. A lot will have to do with any built in  draw characteristics (if any) of the new equipment. I like the notion of adjusting for dynamic loft separately and then work on  draw/fade. 

Thanks,

14 minutes ago, Hacker James said:

Duly noted.  I really don't know a whole lot about wine, only what I like in the varietals (probably misspelled that too). I tend to agree with your assessment of range time also. A lot will have to do with any built in  draw characteristics (if any) of the new equipment. I like the notion of adjusting for dynamic loft separately and then work on  draw/fade. 

Thanks,

No problem! You nailed "varietals". Lest I be damned for going too far OT, what are your favorites?

And I wish you luck with your swing.

2 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Not to pick a nit, errrrr, what the hell, I'll do it. The word is "palate" not "pallet". I sold fine wine for 30 years and a pallet is something that cases of wine sit on while being shipped. OK, back on track.I

I knew that but didn't want to appear like some kind of wine snob 
LOL

When I get new clubs, I typically go to the range first to get a feel for them.

That said, in 1985 I bought a set of Powerbilt metal woods and went straight from the store to the course; I didn't try them before I bought them.  I still remember the drive on that first hole.  I could not have hit it better.  I don't remember any other first drive and I held onto those clubs long after they left my bag... always brought a smile to my face.

John