Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Hacker James

Range Time, Practice or Wait?

Note: This thread is 774 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

25 posts / 1941 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

First off, I am not an ardent fan of the driving range.

I do realize the benefits of feedback relative to ball flight, distance e.t.c.  I do not like range time shortly before a round citing fatigue and other factors.

I am a anxiously awaiting the arrival of a new driver and anticipate the experience of trial run on the driving range. Meanwhile, I am hesitant to visit range with my current driver noting that there is nothing particularly wrong with but at the same time want to "get into a groove" before hitting a new driver. Does that make any sense? OTOH, hitting the range "cold" is akin to clearing the pallet as in wine tasting.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

7 minutes ago, David in FL said:

No

:-)

uh...Okay...at least I am consistent in that quite often what I say doesn't (except to me). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I don't spend much tme on the range myself. Probably not enough time if I was truthful wth myself. My gripe is the range balls, and the inconsistencies when compared to my regular game balls. That, and rubber mats when real grass is not available.. 

However the the range does have it's place when using longer clubs, and when the short game area doesn't allow for enough room to use those longer clubs for a full swing.

If I were expecting a new club, or clubs, I wouldn't for go my my range time. I would keep practicing. The new club(s), I would hope would be per my my current swing specs. I would want to keep those swing spec as current as possible, for a better fit when the new club(s)arrive. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 minutes ago, Patch said:

 

If I were expecting a new club, or clubs, I wouldn't for go my my range time. I would keep practicing. The new club(s), I would hope would be per my my current swing specs. I would want to keep those swing spec as current as possible, for a better fit when the new club(s)arrive. 

yah, that is partly what I was referring to, but then again, I am fickle. Its nearly a moot point given   I don't like range time to begin with, but am also thinking I should get a little acquainted with new equipment prior to an actual round. I would hate to take 18 holes to finally figure things out.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

52 minutes ago, Hacker James said:

First off, I am not an ardent fan of the driving range.

I do realize the benefits of feedback relative to ball flight, distance e.t.c.  I do not like range time shortly before a round citing fatigue and other factors.

I am a anxiously awaiting the arrival of a new driver and anticipate the experience of trial run on the driving range. Meanwhile, I am hesitant to visit range with my current driver noting that there is nothing particularly wrong with but at the same time want to "get into a groove" before hitting a new driver. Does that make any sense? OTOH, hitting the range "cold" is akin to clearing the pallet as in wine tasting.

I think you're overthinking it. If you use the range, go. If you don't, don't go. I like to try out a new club at the range, too, but I won't change my routine in anticipation of a new club's arrival.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, billchao said:

I think you're overthinking it. If you use the range, go. If you don't, don't go. I like to try out a new club at the range, too, but I won't change my routine in anticipation of a new club's arrival.

Probably.  Too much time on my hands.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

5 hours ago, Hacker James said:

First off, I am not an ardent fan of the driving range.

I do realize the benefits of feedback relative to ball flight, distance e.t.c.  I do not like range time shortly before a round citing fatigue and other factors.

I am a anxiously awaiting the arrival of a new driver and anticipate the experience of trial run on the driving range. Meanwhile, I am hesitant to visit range with my current driver noting that there is nothing particularly wrong with but at the same time want to "get into a groove" before hitting a new driver. Does that make any sense? OTOH, hitting the range "cold" is akin to clearing the pallet as in wine tasting.

 

It's an interesting piece of golfer self analysis - yet still somehow confusing. 

I get you are not sure if you should practice with old driver before taking the new driver out.
But not sure I understand, or even agree with your clearing the pallet metaphor.
 

 

5 hours ago, David in FL said:

No

:-)

Come on it makes some sense....

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, gregsandiego said:

It's an interesting piece of golfer self analysis - yet still somehow confusing. 

I get you are not sure if you should practice with old driver before taking the new driver out.
But not sure I understand, or even agree with your clearing the pallet metaphor.
 

 

Come on it makes some sense....

 

I dunno...I am prolly full of it...I guess my reasoning was to start fresh without having any influence feed over from the current driver. The wine tasting metaphor was more or less tongue in cheek...pun intended. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I tend to only go to the range when I am going bad and lacking confidence. Prior to a round I try and hit no more than 20. Last time out 2 wedges, 2 8 irons and 6 drivers. Went out and played great. I certainly believe that you can tire yourself out if you over do it prior to a round. Never could I go out and hit the amount of balls the pros do before a round!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think I'd continue my normal routine as much as possible.  I DO think that taking a few swings with a new club on the range, where it doesn't matter, is a good idea.  But I enjoy my range time, albeit in small doses (typically 45 minutes or less).  I continue to work on specific swing changes, and I can do that just fine with a mid-iron.  My normal practice session includes mostly those mid-irons, with maybe a half-dozen driver swings.  Same with my typical warm-up before playing.  The way I think of it, if you need to learn a new swing to go with your new driver, you bought the wrong driver.  So do whatever you normally do to maintain or improve your normal swing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, DaveP043 said:

  The way I think of it, if you need to learn a new swing to go with your new driver, you bought the wrong driver.  So do whatever you normally do to maintain or improve your normal swing.

yah, sounds about right. I do not expect much of a change or learning curve in the transition. The new driver appears similar. Current driver is 440 cc (Tour Edge XCG7 beta) and the new will be 443cc. appearance similar in shape weight distribution and COG probably won't change that much. Heck, had I not seen the Titleist the other day while playing, I would not have even thought about it, but as it were...got a little star struck. One good thing is that in the event I want another shaft adapter, there is a place near that makes them for all the top brands (Billy Bob's Golf) and I already have a couple or three shafts on hand. I also ordered the Titleist torque wrench and head cover just in case mine doesn't fit.

Edited by Hacker James

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, DaveP043 said:

I think I'd continue my normal routine as much as possible.  I DO think that taking a few swings with a new club on the range, where it doesn't matter, is a good idea.  But I enjoy my range time, albeit in small doses (typically 45 minutes or less).  I continue to work on specific swing changes, and I can do that just fine with a mid-iron.  My normal practice session includes mostly those mid-irons, with maybe a half-dozen driver swings.  Same with my typical warm-up before playing.  The way I think of it, if you need to learn a new swing to go with your new driver, you bought the wrong driver.  So do whatever you normally do to maintain or improve your normal swing.

also, I can work on swing from my at home set up which I have described ad nauseum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Although I admit my response was a bit tongue-in-cheek, it really doesn’t make any sense.

The new club will (hopefully) give improved performance, but with the same swing.  He’s not going to be changing his swing to somehow accommodate the new club.

There’s absolutely no reason not to continue to do whatever he’d like to do in the meantime.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

14 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Although I admit my response was a bit tongue-in-cheek, it really doesn’t make any sense.

The new club will (hopefully) give improved performance, but with the same swing.  He’s not going to be changing his swing to somehow accommodate the new club.

There’s absolutely no reason not to continue to do whatever he’d like to do in the meantime.

I enjoyed your response and wit. Sounded like something I would say. Curt and to the point 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've been hitting the range a lot lately.  I feel like I'm improving my swing so as a 29 or so HC, I'm sure it's quite more dramatic than someone who is quite a bit better and doesn't see as much improvement.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

 The way I think of it, if you need to learn a new swing to go with your new driver, you bought the wrong driver.  So do whatever you normally do to maintain or improve your normal swing.

This. The fact that you're getting a new driver shouldn't change your normal routine. Personally, I like the range. It's a lot cheaper to work on my swing and a lot less frustrating.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 9/5/2018 at 8:16 PM, Hacker James said:

I dunno...I am prolly full of it...I guess my reasoning was to start fresh without having any influence feed over from the current driver. The wine tasting metaphor was more or less tongue in cheek...pun intended. 

I get it now! Maybe swing the orange whip!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Note: This thread is 774 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • TST Affiliates

    SuperSpeed
    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo
  • Posts

    • Day 51 - Worked on some hip turn in the mirror. Need to film for Evolvr tomorrow, see how my setup looks. 
    • Made it through 16 holes today at +11 (73). Had 14 GIR/nGIR. I was about 30 yards from the green on a par-5 when I had to quit due to darkness. Just extrapolating my scoring, if I par #17 (considering I was close to GIR already), and bogey #18, that would be an 83, which is an excellent score for me on this course, from the tees I was playing. My ball striking was good all round, and I only had one horrendous mishit (topped a 3W off the tee on #2, ended up making a 6). The wind was strong and gusty so the ball was doing some weird stuff. On the first hole I flushed my drive, and it only got out 228 yards, then proceeded to hit my hybrid 260 yards just short of the green.  
    • Day 317 Played 16 holes today. Started pretty late in the afternoon, and was almost home on the par-5 17th hole when it was finally too dark to continue so I picked up and headed home. One of the best rounds in recent memory, and there was some pretty wild wind to contend with. Too tired for a superspeed workout so that will wait until tomorrow.
    • The only people that are allowed to whine about 3 putt pars are tour pros😉. Just kidding. Glad you got out for a round, and keep that driver in play and going LONG!!!
    • Day 126.  Speed sticks, protocol one at halftime of SNF.  It has been eleven days since I did this last;  that's way too long. 
  • TST Blog Entries

  • Today's Birthdays

    1. Double_AA
      Double_AA
      (27 years old)
    2. FCAPT
      FCAPT
      (66 years old)
    3. ScrilltheDeal
      ScrilltheDeal
      (32 years old)

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...