Sign in to follow this  
buttputt40

How Many Shots Should Your Ball Last?

50 posts / 7400 viewsLast Reply

Barring a bounce off of a cart path, I see no reason a decent golf ball shouldn't last 3 or 4 rounds.  I can't say that from personal experience, I usually manage to lose mine within a round or two, but they're still just fine when they fly into the trees or splash in the water.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

What @DaveP043 said is pretty agreeable to me. 

I once played the same ball for 90 holes, then retired it out of respect for it. I was having a run of great, 18 hole scores, and didn't want to change anything. 

Heck, I will even use the same tee untill I break it. Even then it, will become my short tee of choice.

Of course, like others, it is more normal than not for me to go through multi balls in a round. I may not lose too many, but sometimes they just don't seem to roll right on the green. That, or fly like I think they should. Sometimes change is good for no apparent reason. 

I let mine play out 36 holes before they go into the practice pocket.  They could probably last a bit longer.

Tournament rounds I take a fresh ball at the start of play, but it will find use in a casual round if it survives. 

OP, what balls do you play?  Something like the Snell MTP isn't that expensive and will probably last quite some time.

I like how my Top flite putts but Nike is better off the tee but really is break sensitive putting as we know 

so sometimes I sneak and change golf balls if I'm not caught 

Anyone know if a softer ball, or a harder ball last longer than the other?

25 minutes ago, Patch said:

Anyone know if a softer ball, or a harder ball last longer than the other?

It was thought that urethane covers on premium balls didn’t last as long. But my experience was not the same. I used to play Titleist NXT Tour balls then switched to ProV1. The NXT seemed to scuff easier even though it was supposed to to have a harder cover.

Now I play the Snell Black and I find it is more scuff resistant for me. 

23 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

Barring a bounce off of a cart path, I see no reason a decent golf ball shouldn't last 3 or 4 rounds.

I seem to have a propensity to hitting cart paths. :mellow:

9 hours ago, buttputt40 said:

I like how my Top flite putts but Nike is better off the tee but really is break sensitive putting as we know 

Do you mean that the Nikes seem to react more to the slope on the putting green--that you have to allow for more break with the Nikes?  I've never heard of that.  I'm not sure it's possible.  (If it is, then ball manufacturers would have another advertising point--"our ball breaks less than ProV1!" etc.)

Yes my Nike balls curve away unless I hit it harder putting. It is like a baseball with a stitch or two missing. The top Flite  get about an extra 15 yards off the tee. I guess the name is accurate ! 

18 hours ago, buttputt40 said:

Nike is better off the tee but really is break sensitive putting as we know...

I’m gonna hate myself for asking, but what the heck is “break sensitive”...?!

45 minutes ago, David in FL said:

I’m gonna hate myself for asking, but what the heck is “break sensitive”...?!

10 hours ago, Missouri Swede said:

Do you mean that the Nikes seem to react more to the slope on the putting green--that you have to allow for more break with the Nikes?  I've never heard of that.  I'm not sure it's possible.  (If it is, then ball manufacturers would have another advertising point--"our ball breaks less than ProV1!" etc.)

2 hours ago, buttputt40 said:

Yes my Nike balls curve away unless I hit it harder putting. It is like a baseball with a stitch or two missing. The top Flite  get about an extra 15 yards off the tee. I guess the name is accurate ! 

:-X

13 hours ago, HJJ003 said:

How long should it last? A lot longer than mine do. I have never played 18 holes with one ball. 

Same here . Must nice to worry about them wearing out !

😁

Have used a :bridgestone: e6 soft yellow for my last 36 holes, still fine off tee and putts.  May retire it soon for the honor of not being lost!