IGNORED

2018 Tour Championship - FedExCup Finale

HJJ003
Note: This thread is 2015 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

16 minutes ago, MacDutch said:

You infedel.

I predict more disappointment crossing your path. 😊

I suspect you’re right!!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

16 minutes ago, brocks said:

It's better this year than it will be next year.  Tiger beat Rose by five shots this week, but if this had been played under next year's rules, Tiger would still be winless since 2013.

I’m guessing they’ll still track the tournament “straight up”, and just subtract the strokes in a side accounting like they do now with the FedEx points. 

- John

50 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Tiger wins a short field, no cut event.

Meh.

;-) 

29 of the worlds best couldn't beat him, fair to say he was winning against a full field also.

• Thumbs Up 1

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

Next year’s FedEx cup will be a joke. Giving 10 stroke lead to #1 seed?  

Come on man. That’s not a tournament. Even tennis’s #1 seed doesn’t get any games points. 

Stupidest change yet for the FedEx cup. 

• Upvote 1

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

4 minutes ago, Yukari said:

Next year’s FedEx cup will be a joke. Giving 10 stroke lead to #1 seed?  

Come on man. That’s not a tournament. Even tennis’s #1 seed doesn’t get any games points. 

Stupidest change yet for the FedEx cup. 

The FedEx cup is already a joke. I find it meaningless considering that Rose didn't have the best year to win it all. He won zero majors.....zero...none.....Brooks should've won the Fedex title with Tiger winning the last tournament of the year. 

8 hours ago, Fourputt said:

It pisses me off that I'm missing the chance to watch what could the last hurdle in Tiger's comeback.  I'm here in SW Colorado, yesterday on the Durango-Silverton narrow gauge railroad Photographer's Special, today driving the Million Dollar Highway to Silverton, Ouray and ultimately to Gunnison.  Won't drive home until tomorrow, and since all of yesterday was, and much of today will be, out of cell service, I'm sort of in a communications blackout. 

I'll be rooting for him anyway.  Maybe tonight's hotel will actually have Golf Channel so I can at least see highlights.

Here ya go.  No golf shots, but kind of sums it up.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

4 minutes ago, JSGolf said:

The FedEx cup is already a joke. I find it meaningless considering that Rose didn't have the best year to win it all. He won zero majors.....zero...none.....Brooks should've won the Fedex title with Tiger winning the last tournament of the year. 

The Fedex cup title is not the same thing as POY. I wouldn’t doubt brooks wins POY. Hard to argue with two majors. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, JSGolf said:

You seem to be confusing the purpose of a  playoff system (in no playoff system is the winner just whoever had the best year - cf. 2007 NFL) with the purpose of a Player of the Year award.

You seem pretty grouchy.  Maybe you should eat a Snickers bar.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

3 minutes ago, flopster said:

29 of the worlds best couldn't beat him, fair to say he was winning against a full field also.

No, this was always Tiger's best chance of winning.  Field size makes a huge difference, even when the extra players aren't as good as the top 30.

I've written several posts on this already, so I'll just refer you to a stat: during his prime, Tiger won 26% of his regular PGA events, 28% of his majors, and 65% of his stroke play WGCs.  The WGCs typically had the top 70 or so players in the world, but they were still over twice as easy to win as the full field regular tour events,  which probably didn't have more than 50 of the world top 100 players.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

DJ actually moved ahead of Rose for #1 in the world again, but Rose is laughing all the way to the bank with $10 million at #2. Haha...meanwhile, Tiger moves from 21st to 13th. His points per start is actually higher than DJ. Just a matter of time and more starts before he moves back into the Top 5. 

29 minutes ago, JSGolf said:

First of all, it gave me goosebumps to watch Tiger complete the comeback. Incredible to see a man overcome so many physical and mental challenges to get back to the top of the game. Bravo.

I also agree that the FedEx Cup lacks any real enthusiasm, in part, because no one really knows how it works. When a guy with zero victories has a chance to win the prize there is something wrong with the system. Next year is even worse. A season of success gets you two stroke advantage in a single tournament? meh

• Like 1

- Mark

Great stuff by Jack on twitter......such a class dude, as he makes sure -- after giving Tiger props -- to congratulate Justin on the cup and being world no. 1

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

The money means nothing to Tiger. Besides, he’ll make $9 million back on Thanksgiving. It’s a spectacular win for Tiger. Stats can’t take that away. And @brocks...let’s not forget this win wasn’t just a tourney of 30 best golfers...he had to start with a full size and make the cut to even be there. And then he proceeded to win.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

3 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

The money means nothing to Tiger. Besides, he’ll make $9 million back on Thanksgiving. It’s a spectacular win for Tiger. Stats can’t take that away. And @brocks...let’s not forget this win wasn’t just a tourney of 30 best golfers...he had to start with a full size and make the cut to even be there. And then he proceeded to win.

It's still a tournament with only 30 golfers, which is much easier than beating a field of 100+ in a single tournament. 

But it's a HUGE deal for his confidence. After the late 2009 scandal, he had a long period without any wins. He won the December 2011 charity tournament with only 18 players and it gave him the confidence to start winning big again. He won 3 times in 2012 and 5 times in 2013.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

let’s not forget this win wasn’t just a tourney of 30 best golfers

Technically, it was at most the 29 best...Spieth wasn't there.  😉

- John

14 minutes ago, Hardspoon said:

Technically, it was at most the 29 best...Spieth wasn't there.  😉

Right ...and why wasn’t Spieth there? 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

• Administrator
4 hours ago, GrandStranded said:

I know I'm going to get killed here for this, but it's kind of a joke that a guy can win one tournament all year and win the Fed Ex Cup. 

Not a joke. Just the way it's set up. And…

http://rankings.golfweek.com/rankings/default.asp?T=world

Tiger Woods has beat a lot of people this year. He's 4th in the Sagarin (and I don't think that's updated with today's results yet).

3 hours ago, JSGolf said:

Tiger wins the final tournament yet Rose wins the FedexCup......awful....two different winners....this FedexCup mess is that a mess......how does Rose end at #1 when he won no majors?? Number 1 in Fedex and World Ranking....laughable.......and with one win Tiger vaults from 18 to 2 in points......

And how rude was NBC in cutting off Justin Rose's speech ....awful....

Justin Rose ends the PGA Tour season as the #1 player in the world… also without winning a major this year.

Shows what you know man. 😛

2 hours ago, brocks said:

No, this was always Tiger's best chance of winning.  Field size makes a huge difference, even when the extra players aren't as good as the top 30.

I've written several posts on this already, so I'll just refer you to a stat: during his prime, Tiger won 26% of his regular PGA events, 28% of his majors, and 65% of his stroke play WGCs.  The WGCs typically had the top 70 or so players in the world, but they were still over twice as easy to win as the full field regular tour events,  which probably didn't have more than 50 of the world top 100 players.

Correction, @brocks: just because Tiger Woods won them more than twice as frequently doesn't mean they were twice as easy to win. It just means that Tiger Woods won them more than twice as often.

Maybe he tried harder in those than in regular PGA Tour events. There's some info to support this, too: I've seen him hitting the "wrong" shots in regular PGA Tour events as major prep, for example. Talked with him about that same thing, too, and his instructors. He doesn't care about the regular PGA Tour events as much. WGCs, majors… he cares more about those. He gets "up" for the WGCs more than PGA Tour events. Not nearly as much as majors, but still…

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 2015 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!