IGNORED

2018 Tour Championship - FedExCup Finale

HJJ003
Note: This thread is 2013 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Pretty cool to see Tiger win again. Wasn't sure even 6 months ago that he could win again. Hell, 12 months ago, nobody knew if he was going to even play golf again. 

• Like 3

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

5 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

Pretty cool to see Tiger win again. Wasn't sure even 6 months ago that he could win again. Hell, 12 months ago, nobody knew if he was going to even play golf again. 

One of the most amazing things about that is even he admitted it himself. Wasn’t long ago he was starting to think way past golf to just being able to walk everyday without pain. I can only imagine the satisfaction he feels with today’s win. What a heck of a climb. 

I suppose you all heard Dan Hicks say, when Tiger sank the final putt, that this was the most improbable comeback in the history of sports. Sports? Just golf, even?

Um, how about Ben Hogan who was in a near-fatal accident in 1949, would not be able to walk again according to his doctors, and won the U.S. Open one year later? Kudos to Tiger, but his win Trumps Hogan's? Really?

6 minutes ago, The Recreational Golfer said:

I suppose you all heard Dan Hicks say, when Tiger sank the final putt, that this was the most improbable comeback in the history of sports. Sports? Just golf, even?

Um, how about Ben Hogan who was in a near-fatal accident in 1949, would not be able to walk again according to his doctors, and won the U.S. Open one year later? Kudos to Tiger, but his win Trumps Hogan's? Really?

Well Hogan's comeback was in '50 was incredible.

Is Tiger's comeback great, yes? 

Don't really give a shit if people think it's isn't a great comeback. Tiger's win at East Lake locks up PGA Tour Comeback Player of the Year. 

Edited by onthehunt526
Hit post accidentally

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

6 minutes ago, onthehunt526 said:

Tiger's win at East Lake locks up PGA Tour Comeback Player of the Year. 

Unfortunately that is no longer an award. Since 2012 or so I think. 

Edited by HJJ003

• Administrator
17 minutes ago, The Recreational Golfer said:

Tiger wasn't able to walk, or sit, or lay down, too.

And Hogan could walk again. And faced weaker competition than Tiger faced/faces. 😉

But no, I wouldn't say it's greater than Hogan's comeback… but the book isn't closed on this comeback yet, either.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

6 minutes ago, HJJ003 said:

Unfortunately that is no longer an award. Since 2012 or so I think. 

I know. But ok Unofficially.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

So I watched the end of the final round in real time, but didn't see the award presentation until just now on the Golf Channel. I'm sure others probably commented on it, but what the f*** did NBC do to Justin Rose? He's being gracious as hell (just as Tiger was) congratulating an opponent, and they cut him the f*** off. I mean, WTF was that?

"Witty golf quote."

2 hours ago, iacas said:

Tiger wasn't able to walk, or sit, or lay down, too.

And Hogan could walk again. And faced weaker competition than Tiger faced/faces. 😉

But no, I wouldn't say it's greater than Hogan's comeback… but the book isn't closed on this comeback yet, either.

4 different back surgeries, with todays modern medicine says his prognosis was not good at all. 5 more majors and this will be the comebacks of all, I think he will do it.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

50 minutes ago, Aguirre said:

So I watched the end of the final round in real time, but didn't see the award presentation until just now on the Golf Channel. I'm sure others probably commented on it, but what the f*** did NBC do to Justin Rose? He's being gracious as hell (just as Tiger was) congratulating an opponent, and they cut him the f*** off. I mean, WTF was that?

Can only assume that it was a human error. I can't see that they'd be out of time as it didn't even go to a playoffs.

7 hours ago, Zeph said:

The Norwegian announcers said earlier this year that if Tiger won a tournament this year, they would eat a bucket full of cinnamon rolls. Tiger made it interesting and waited until the final tournament of the season to do it.

DnzwleTW0AAZR55.jpg

Well as long as they are going out on a limb, I will be be equally treacherous and drink a whole 6 pack of beer... 

6 hours ago, Missouri Swede said:

Here ya go.  No golf shots, but kind of sums it up.

No one's playing the 18th without a dirt lie for a month after this. 

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

8 hours ago, JSGolf said:

The FedEx cup is already a joke. I find it meaningless considering that Rose didn't have the best year to win it all. He won zero majors.....zero...none.....Brooks should've won the Fedex title with Tiger winning the last tournament of the year. 

Sure, Rose didnt win a majopr this year, but he was consistent, hence ending as number 1. There's more to being a champion than just Majors, sure majors are what a player is remebered by (how many will remember Westwood and Donald in years to come), but Rose has done well with winning a Major, Olympic gold and now world number 1.

However... even though i would have liked Rose ton win being a Brit, i am stoked that Tiger won. So deserved, just hope he forgets how to play golf for the duration of the Ryder Cup :-P

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

18 minutes ago, RussUK said:

Sure, Rose didnt win a majopr this year, but he was consistent, hence ending as number 1. There's more to being a champion than just Majors, sure majors are what a player is remebered by (how many will remember Westwood and Donald in years to come), but Rose has done well with winning a Major, Olympic gold and now world number 1.

Just to point out to you & the others, JR is no longer owgr #1 as DJ has taken it back for the moment. That said, winning the FedEx is a permanent achievement and will be a bigger deal for him.

More majors should be his priority - I don't think he needs 6 to eclipse Faldo, but more than 1 is necessary. 

8 hours ago, Braivo said:

I also agree that the FedEx Cup lacks any real enthusiasm, in part, because no one really knows how it works. When a guy with zero victories has a chance to win the prize there is something wrong with the system. Next year is even worse. A season of success gets you two stroke advantage in a single tournament? meh

I know how it works. It's pretty simple really. Players gain FEC points during the regular season that they carry with them to the playoffs. For the playoffs, the winner gets 2000 points, which is about 3-6 times more than other events. After the third playoff tournament, only the top 30 in the FEC will qualify for the Tour Championship. In order to avoid someone winning two playoff events and lead by more than 2000 points (like Bryson this year), which would mean they won the FEC before even starting the last event, they reset the points before the Tour Championship. After the reset of points, the leader is given 2000 points, #2 1800, #3 1600, #4 1440 etc. That way, everyone entering the Tour Championship will have a mathematical chance to win the FEC.

If Tiger won the FEC, it wouln't have been without a win. He just won the Tour Championship.

In the Tour Championship there were a few players that could have won the FEC without winning anything prior to the Tour Championship, but they'd need to win that, so I don't see why it would be a problem that they didn't win earlier in the season.

2 hours ago, Aguirre said:

I'd guess it was because they had TV-times to follow and needed to wrap up the cast.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

1 hour ago, Moxley said:

Just to point out to you & the others, JR is no longer owgr #1 as DJ has taken it back for the moment. That said, winning the FedEx is a permanent achievement and will be a bigger deal for him.

More majors should be his priority - I don't think he needs 6 to eclipse Faldo, but more than 1 is necessary. 

Noticed the current OWR after i posted (i'm so not on the ball at the moment!). That being said, at least he can always say he was world number one (even if it was for a short time :-P).

I think a masters or Open win will do him just fine, He'd have a good CV after that. Silver Medal at the Open, US Open Champ, Olympic Champ, Fed Ex Champ, "Enter next Major win here", and all round nice guy.

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

The thing I found most remarkable about this win was how Tiger kept pressing and others just played poorly. Rory got the showdown he wanted and wilted. Rose was #1 and wilted. The 'Young Guns' that Tiger was not supposed to be able to compete with, DJ, Koepka, Day, Reed, Watson, Bradley, all Major winners, wilted.  The new comers, DeChambeau, Fleetwood, Schauffele, struggled. Even Molinari, who just won the Open Championship, was nowhere to be seen.

This will boost the Golf industry a bit next year. They needed a fresh shot of Tiger. 

• Like 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I was playing in a scramble yesterday, but managed to stream the last few holes. We started an hour before Tiger so I figured we'd finish in time to catch the ending but we were on the last tee as he was finishing.

I was legitimately teary-eyed when he tapped in that last up. I always had faith that he'd come back and do something (see my many, may reaching predictions in various threads) but it's pretty amazing to see.

I'll be at the PGA next year at Bethpage for sure, so hopefully we'll see some more magic.

• Like 1

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Note: This thread is 2013 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!