IGNORED

14 rules of golf Etiquette

Valleygolfer
Note: This thread is 1993 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

14 Rules of Etiquette  

47 members have voted

1. 1. How many of the 14 rules of etiquette (see post #3) do you regularly violate?

• None (0)
    • 1-2
    • 3-5
    • 6-8
    • 9-11
    • 12-13
    • All of them (14)

I guess, I am guilty of  a couple on the list. Why isn't not fixing divots or not repairing ball marks on the list?? I think top 2 I see violated. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Vishal S.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The 14 are:

1. Showing up less than 15 minutes before your tee time. Nope
  2. Putting with too many balls on the practice green. If I’m chipping 8-10
  3. Failing to pick up the flagstick. Nope
  4. Taking only one club to your ball on cart path only days. Nope
  5. Looking for a lost ball for more than five minutes. Nope
  6. Talking to someone else's ball.   Frequently
  7. Standing behind someone as they putt. Frequently
  8. Walking in a player's through line. I don’t but dozens of people have previously walked on the green , it don’t matter
  9. Placing bag on a tee box. When I’m walking ,all the time, it doesn’t hurt the tee box
  10. Walking across the green with your bag.  When I’m walking I will some times, it doesn’t hurt the green
  11. Lack of divot pattern on the driving range.  Some days
  12. Not picking up on a match play hole when you're out of it.
  13. Checking your phone too much. Depends
  14. Gimmes (failing to give, taking too many for yourself) nope

What I think I'm guilty of and my rejoinders are:

2 - I like to line up six balls in a line to work on speed control. However, if its crowded out there, that won't happen.

5 - I'm a hack and we lose balls that we really want to find. I'm not the worst, but it has happened. 

7 - But I really don't think I stand close enough to anyone to make a difference. Nobody's had an issue.

11 - But I'm a lot better about that this year. I've cut some really straight lines lately.

14 - I dislike the concept. I never take them and never offer them. 

1 hour ago, iacas said:

@NM Golf, it’s not against the rules for fellow competitors, nor do most people consider it rude at all if you’re far enough back.

You can ask me to move and I will, but if I’m 20 feet away you’re possibly being ridiculous.

I stated it was only a rules breach in the event it is your partner.

We will have to agree to disagree. Around here, with the people I play with, it's considered a no-no. Growing up I was always told it was considered poor form. A quick Google search on the topic found multiple sources agreeing with the fact it is a breach of etiquette, including the USGA.

Rule 14-2b only prohibits a player from allowing his partner or their caddies from standing in this position. While it may be a breach of Etiquette, there is no penalty under the Rules. A solution is to politely ask your opponent or fellow-competitor to move to one side or the other. (Rule 14-2b)

You can certainly quickly make your way behind someone to watch the line once the putt is struck, but you would be hard pressed to find someone on any type of TOUR standing directly behind someone while they putt; no matter how far back they stand.

Edited by NM Golf

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

1 hour ago, GolfLug said:

Why isn't not fixing divots or not repairing ball marks on the list?? I think top 2 I see violated. 

Yes! Yes!  I think we have a few more for the Golfing 18 Commandments:

* Fix your divots

* Fix your ball mark as well as two others

* Play from the appropriate tees

* Play Ready Golf

Driver: :callaway: Diablo
Woods: :callaway: Big Bertha 2 & 4
Irons: Miura MC 102's 3 - PW & Mizuno MP 67's 3 - W
Wedges: :mizuno: MP-R12 52* & 58*
Putters: :ping: WRX Ti4

I voted 1-2 because I walk 99% of my play, and absolutely pop my stand bag on tee boxes (out of the way with others present...right next to me when alone), and have the bag on my back when I'm walking across greens, mostly for pace, as it'd be ridiculous to walk around the green with it...that, and me and my bag together come in at ~175lbs., which has zero impact on our firm club greens.

I was thinking there was a rule where you couldn't stand directly back of your fellow competitor...is considered reading their line or something?  Not certain on that, though, as usually when I'm reading the rules, it's centered around relief, drops, etc...could've been I was told wrong, or misunderstood years ago when I heard it.  Sorry...not able to look on the rules site ATM.

Wade         --         "Thaaat's CRUSHED!"

Driver:  Ping G400 LST 8.5°
FWs/Hybs:  Callaway BB Steelhead III 3w; TM R15 17° & 21°
Irons:  Mizuno JPX825
Wedges:  Cleveland Rotex 2.0 54° & 60°
Putter:  Odyssey 2-ball

This may be anecdotal, but don't people frequently talk to your ball on short shots? Off the tee not as much. If you talk to the trees after a tee shot to tell them to spit it out, does that count as talking to the ball?

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

1 hour ago, GolfLug said:

Why isn't not fixing divots or not repairing ball marks on the list?? I think top 2 I see violated. 

My divots are kind if irreplaceable. They're just thin chunks of grass that tend to split up into tiny pieces mid-flight.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

4 minutes ago, billchao said:

My divots are kind if irreplaceable. They're just thin chunks of grass that tend to split up into tiny pieces mid-flight.

:-) that's why they invented the divot mix.

• Like 1

Vishal S.

1 hour ago, Vinny Cap said:

I am at 1 or 2.  I def dont give many gimmies.  Our rule is inside a foot, ok unless you are putting REAL bad and never for a Bird or Eagle. Usually I like to putt everything out.  You wont make those 2 and 3 footers if you never hit em!

My BIL gives way too many and usually to strangers we hook up with in a foursome.  I often wonder if they think "Who do you think you are to give or not give me that putt?"

For pace of play I will give within the grip of a putter. However I have been known to engage in the mercy gimmie, when the ball is outside of a few feet and the golfer is pushing past quad boogie.

5 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

This may be anecdotal, but don't people frequently talk to your ball on short shots? Off the tee not as much. If you talk to the trees after a tee shot to tell them to spit it out, does that count as talking to the ball?

I talk to my ball. I talk to your ball. I talk to the trees, the wind and bunker to get out of the way. I hold conversations with myself about how the green probably wont break the way I see it. 
I find this keeps me at ease.
Just last week I played with a guy, who had never had the pleasure of playing a round with me.
At least once a hole he asked "what?", as I gently talked to myself about my shot.

• Like 1

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

1 minute ago, GolfLug said:

:-) that's why they invented the divot mix.

You need to play more munis. What's a divot mix? ;-)

They don't even have the stuff out on tee boxes.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

11 minutes ago, billchao said:

You need to play more munis. What's a divot mix? ;-)

My course has a bottle for it on every cart.

Pretty cool huh?

Yea, well of the 35 rounds I have played there this year it has only had anything in it TWICE!  I was like Say what?  Why have it then?

Driver: :callaway: Diablo
Woods: :callaway: Big Bertha 2 & 4
Irons: Miura MC 102's 3 - PW & Mizuno MP 67's 3 - W
Wedges: :mizuno: MP-R12 52* & 58*
Putters: :ping: WRX Ti4

9.  Placing bag on a tee box.

--Tee box isn't even defined in RoG.

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

Pretty cool huh?

Yea, well of the 35 rounds I have played there this year it has only had anything in it TWICE!  I was like Say what?  Why have it then?

They probably came with the carts 😆

Bill

My Swing Thread

Pretty cool huh?

Ah, the divot mix bottle. That thing I set aside so the large Fosters beer can they sell at my local course has a place to sit, because it doesn't fit the cup holders in the cart.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Sandy Divot said:

9&10 are pure garbage. I have a turf degree, and neither will damage the turf.By the way, what is your source for these rules?

It's just Golf Digest pulling some clickbait out of its ass.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

I sometimes fix a pitch mark with my putter head (successfully, I might add, so I don't understand the etiquette issue...). I also tend to talk to someone else's ball, in the air and seldom on the green too. So put me down for 1-2 "violations".

Philippe

:callaway: Maverick Driver, 3W, 5W Big Bertha 
:mizuno: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
:mizuno:  T7 55-09 and 60-10 forged wedges,
:odyssey: #7 putter (Slim 3.0 grip)

Note: This thread is 1993 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!