IGNORED

14 rules of golf Etiquette

Valleygolfer
Note: This thread is 1994 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

14 Rules of Etiquette  

47 members have voted

1. 1. How many of the 14 rules of etiquette (see post #3) do you regularly violate?

• None (0)
    • 1-2
    • 3-5
    • 6-8
    • 9-11
    • 12-13
    • All of them (14)

I have a guy I play with regularly that almost never picks up the flag. I finally lambasted him on it and he got pretty defensive. I assume his back hurts too much to do it but doesn't say that is why. He also fixes divots with his putter head. I really don't care for that at all.

Do you or anyone you play with break any of these etiquette rules? I do talk to other peoples balls sometimes but mostly in positive format but maybe I should stop...

https://www.golfdigest.com/gallery/14-rules-of-golf-etiquette-you-are-probably-breaking

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

13 minutes ago, Valleygolfer said:

I have a guy I play with regularly that almost never picks up the flag.

We all have one of these and I usually ask: "Do you know how much a flagstick weighs?"

When they say No I say "If you picked one up once in a while then you would know!!!"

This usually gets a laugh and them aware to maybe pick it up every now and then.

• Like 1

Driver: :callaway: Diablo
Woods: :callaway: Big Bertha 2 & 4
Irons: Miura MC 102's 3 - PW & Mizuno MP 67's 3 - W
Wedges: :mizuno: MP-R12 52* & 58*
Putters: :ping: WRX Ti4

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Valleygolfer said:

I have a guy I play with regularly that almost never picks up the flag. I finally lambasted him on it and he got pretty defensive. I assume his back hurts too much to do it but doesn't say that is why. He also fixes divots with his putter head. I really don't care for that at all.

Under certain specific conditions, I'll fix a ball mark with my putter head. Those specific conditions aren't all that common, but occasionally you can do just as good a job with a putter head. You're just pushing a little bit of dirt back into the void where it once was, after all. The ground has to be the right kind of soft and the ball mark has to be the right size (pretty small), with no torn pieces.

The 14 are:

1. Showing up less than 15 minutes before your tee time.
  2. Putting with too many balls on the practice green.
  3. Failing to pick up the flagstick.
  4. Taking only one club to your ball on cart path only days.
  5. Looking for a lost ball for more than five minutes.
  6. Talking to someone else's ball.
  7. Standing behind someone as they putt.
  8. Walking in a player's through line.
  9. Placing bag on a tee box.
  10. Walking across the green with your bag.
  11. Lack of divot pattern on the driving range.
  12. Not picking up on a match play hole when you're out of it.
  13. Checking your phone too much.
  14. Gimmes (failing to give, taking too many for yourself)

IMO, some of those are just plain stupid, like #8 through #10. Others may or may not matter depending on the situation, like #13 (depends on who you're with), #5 (if you're not holding anyone up), #1 may or may not matter if you're at a private club… etc.

And #7, heck:

Whatever. Another clickbait type slideshow.

P.S. Poll added.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I can honestly say I do not break any of these rules. The first rule is a big one to me, because I have worked as a starter. Get your lazy butt to the course at least 15 minutes ahead of time. It drives me nuts when people show up to the course 5 minutes prior to your tee time. How are you supposed to tee off at 8:00am when you drive up at 7:55? UGH :doh:

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

#9 and #10 are complete bunk. You shouldn't put your bag where the teeing markers are, but putting your bag somewhere else on the tee is not going to scruff up the tee box. PGA Tour caddies walk across the green all the dang time, and their bags are way heavier than ours. Yes, if the greens are soft and your bag is heavy, best to avoid walking right around the cup. Otherwise, you're not going to damage the green by walking on it with your bag (or else that 270 pound guy shouldn't be walking on the green, period).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

I do bring my cart to the tee box frequently but we all do it so I doubt it bothers anyone in my group. So I voted 1-2.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

• Administrator
16 minutes ago, NM Golf said:

I can honestly say I do not break any of these rules. The first rule is a big one to me, because I have worked as a starter. Get your lazy butt to the course at least 15 minutes ahead of time. It drives me nuts when people show up to the course 5 minutes prior to your tee time. How are you supposed to tee off at 8:00am when you drive up at 7:55? UGH :doh:

Like I said, it depends on the situation. At one or two courses, I do it pretty often. Heck, I'm doing it later today, because I have a fitting, and a drive, and I'll get there about 10 minutes before my tee time.

And it won't matter a lick, because the other three guys I'm playing with will be there, and they know I'll be there then.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

No. 7 is weird to me. 

Obviously you shouldn't be breathing on a guy, but if your putt is coming from the same general area, you take a few steps back and watch him. 

Never seen anyone have an issue with it.

I agree a lot of these are contingent on the situation and circumstance you are in. #6 is an example for me. When I play with my dad we both regularly tell each others ball "get in the hole" or "get down" or "be right"...we enjoy playing together and enjoy playing well together...just rooting for each other thats all. Now, I think this would be kind of weird when paired with strangers lol or someone you know wouldn't like that. 

1. Showing up less than 15 minutes before your tee time. ( I work a day job and only have so much time to take off. So I leave work, get caught in traffic and because of this I am used to walking up to the Tee box a minute to tee off and just grip and rip!)
  2. Putting with too many balls on the practice green. (see above, no time to practice)
  3. Failing to pick up the flagstick. (I tend to space out on the green and forget to pick up the stick)
  4. Taking only one club to your ball on cart path only days. (on occasion I have grabbed 2 irons and walked to my ball only to find out it was not my ball. My ball was either further up or back, rendering my clubs out of range)
  5. Looking for a lost ball for more than five minutes. (never, I have 200 balls in my garage, If I dont find it move on. My balls usually go deep into the wood, so there is usually no question!)
  6. Talking to someone else's ball. (I am social and talk to anyone or anything at any time)
  7. Standing behind someone as they putt. (playing with leftys and rightys, means I am always standing in the wrong spot)
  8. Walking in a player's through line. ( I usually jump over it)
  9. Placing bag on a tee box. ( home course has crappy tee boxes, bags does not seem to do much harm)
  10. Walking across the green with your bag.
  11. Lack of divot pattern on the driving range.
  12. Not picking up on a match play hole when you're out of it.
  13. Checking your phone too much. ( no phones on the golf course!!!!)
  14. Gimmes (failing to give, taking too many for yourself) (I space out and forget to give putts, but when asked within the grip is good by me)

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

Just now, mcanadiens said:

No. 7 is weird to me. 

Obviously you shouldn't be breathing on a guy, but if your putt is coming from the same general area, you take a few steps back and watch him. 

Never seen anyone have an issue with it.

Weird? This is one of golf's ten commandments "Thou shalt not stand directly behind my putt."  Personally I will tell you to move if you do it to me. It's rude and if it's your partner in a competition, it's also against the rules.

9 minutes ago, iacas said:

Like I said, it depends on the situation. At one or two courses, I do it pretty often. Heck, I'm doing it later today, because I have a fitting, and a drive, and I'll get there about 10 minutes before my tee time.

And it won't matter a lick, because the other three guys I'm playing with will be there, and they know I'll be there then.

You are correct, it's not as big a deal if the rest of your group is already there. That being said at a busy muni like the one where I work, if people are late they start backing up tee times. You cannot be in two places at one time. If someone drives in the parking lot 5 minutes prior to their tee time they cannot get their bag out of the car, get their shoes on, pay their green fee, and get to the tee box in time, it's impossible. 

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

This isn't in the list and not an etiquette thing, but when the green is pockmarked with lots of ball marks and someone just walks by a huge gouge to the next green without fixing it, it pains me. 

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

8 minutes ago, NM Golf said:

Weird? This is one of golf's ten commandments "Thou shalt not stand directly behind my putt."  Personally I will tell you to move if you do it to me. It's rude and if it's your partner in a competition, it's also against the rules.

Maybe we are getting into semantics .

Like I said, nobody stands "directly" behind someone when they putt. They give the man his space, but are still behind him and still watching the putt. 

What's the alternative anyway? Does the guy need to walk to the other side of the green to wait his turn?

People always do this. I've never seen it made an issue.

I voted 1-2 but agree this is kind of a stupid list.

I talk to someone else's golf ball because the alternative seemed rude to me, like I'm not paying attention to or I'm not somewhat invested in another player's play.

I'll also walk through the line of someone's putt, usually with a long stride when around where I think it will be. I'll walk around if the person is in the middle of their read, though.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

well, let's see....   

1. Showing up less than 15 minutes before your tee time. - never
  2. Putting with too many balls on the practice green. - 3 balls (so, I don't think so)
  3. Failing to pick up the flagstick. - sometimes
  4. Taking only one club to your ball on cart path only days. - I do my best to think about this. 
  5. Looking for a lost ball for more than five minutes. - nah.   if it's gone, it's gone..  
  6. Talking to someone else's ball. - nah.
  7. Standing behind someone as they putt. - yes. 
  8. Walking in a player's through line. - try not to.  
  9. Placing bag on a tee box. - usually if I'm walking, I'm alone.  
  10. Walking across the green with your bag. - I'm pretty good about this.
  11. Lack of divot pattern on the driving range. - never
  12. Not picking up on a match play hole when you're out of it. - play matchplay pretty rarely.  but I think I pick up enough
  13. Checking your phone too much. - sometimes I golf during work times.  when I do, I gotta keep an eye on email.   sorry, y'all
  14. Gimmes (failing to give, taking too many for yourself) - I do what my partners do.   so, I think i'm fine here.  

so..  at least 2.   I'll vote 3-5, because sometimes I may not be attentive and not even know I've done something..  

Edited by lastings

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

Based on this list I may be one of the most rude people on the course.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

• Administrator

@NM Golf, it’s not against the rules for fellow competitors, nor do most people consider it rude at all if you’re far enough back.

You can ask me to move and I will, but if I’m 20 feet away you’re possibly being ridiculous.

I am at 1 or 2.  I def dont give many gimmies.  Our rule is inside a foot, ok unless you are putting REAL bad and never for a Bird or Eagle. Usually I like to putt everything out.  You wont make those 2 and 3 footers if you never hit em!

My BIL gives way too many and usually to strangers we hook up with in a foursome.  I often wonder if they think "Who do you think you are to give or not give me that putt?"

Driver: :callaway: Diablo
Woods: :callaway: Big Bertha 2 & 4
Irons: Miura MC 102's 3 - PW & Mizuno MP 67's 3 - W
Wedges: :mizuno: MP-R12 52* & 58*
Putters: :ping: WRX Ti4

Note: This thread is 1994 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!