IGNORED

14 rules of golf Etiquette

Valleygolfer
Note: This thread is 1993 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

14 Rules of Etiquette  

47 members have voted

1. 1. How many of the 14 rules of etiquette (see post #3) do you regularly violate?

• None (0)
    • 1-2
    • 3-5
    • 6-8
    • 9-11
    • 12-13
    • All of them (14)

Regarding gimmees, unless it's match play, how can a putt be conceded?

I also don't see a problem with fixing ball marks with a putter head.  Heck, I saw Gary Player demonstrate how to do it on Playing Lessons With The Pros.  

• Administrator
3 hours ago, NM Golf said:

We will have to agree to disagree.

Disagree all you want. I linked to a topic on it. You disagree with the majority.

Doesn’t meant it’s right. But guys also stand on your line on the tee box, etc. and you probably never notice.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

10 hours ago, NM Golf said:

That being said at a busy muni like the one where I work, if people are late they start backing up tee times. 

Then give the next group the tee. A good starter will shift tee times around if another group is ready to go. 

8 hours ago, iacas said:

@NM Golf, it’s not against the rules for fellow competitors, nor do most people consider it rude at all if you’re far enough back.

You can ask me to move and I will, but if I’m 20 feet away you’re possibly being ridiculous.

Pretty much this. There is no difference between being 20 feet directly inline with the putt and 20 FT off to the side. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• Administrator
14 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Pretty much this. There is no difference between being 20 feet directly inline with the putt and 20 FT off to the side. 

Especially when the alternative is for someone to be closer to you and trying to jump in as soon as you hit your putt.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I have on occasion arrived less than 15 minutes before my tee time. More to do with getting half out the door and one of the kids asking me for something. As soon as you mention it's due to the young children any annoyance disapears pretty quick.

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

I said 1-2. I routinely encourage my playing partner's ball to do good things. I'm usually playing with friends though. With new acquaintances, I will only comment, 'nice shot' after the fact. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

15 hours ago, billchao said:

They probably came with the carts 😆

Good one.  I will ask them this Sat.

15 hours ago, AlDena said:

Ah, the divot mix bottle. That thing I set aside so the large Fosters beer can they sell at my local course has a place to sit, because it doesn't fit the cup holders in the cart.

That is an awesome idea.  I wonder if it would hold a 750ml of Rum?

I knew someone would come up with a good use for the holder.

Driver: :callaway: Diablo
Woods: :callaway: Big Bertha 2 & 4
Irons: Miura MC 102's 3 - PW & Mizuno MP 67's 3 - W
Wedges: :mizuno: MP-R12 52* & 58*
Putters: :ping: WRX Ti4

12 hours ago, saevel25 said:

Then give the next group the tee. A good starter will shift tee times around if another group is ready to go. 

Have you ever worked as a starter? I've been doing it for 20 years, I'm pretty good at it.

What you don't understand is this is not always possible. More often than not people don't want to be rushed up to the tee box because some other guy can't get to the course on time. I realize life happens, but it's common courtesy to be on time. 

16 hours ago, iacas said:

Disagree all you want. I linked to a topic on it. You disagree with the majority.

Doesn’t meant it’s right. But guys also stand on your line on the tee box, etc. and you probably never notice.

I don't really think I am in the minority though, heck the PGA of America says not to do it, I guess they are wrong and the minority too?

From PGA.com The unwritten rules of golf https://www.pga.com/news/golf-buzz/unwritten-rules-golf

4.) Watch your positioning: Do not stand too close or in the wrong area to another player. Directly behind a player's hitting/putting line can be a distraction. Really, anywhere that can encroach in a player's visual field as they swing. When on the green, if you want to "learn" from another player's putt, move to the correct line behind them AFTER they've hit the putt.   

A couple other links including one that quotes the USGA Etiquette section of the rule book. Guess the USGA is in the minority as well. 

https://www.bnl.gov/bera/activities/golf/golf/etiquette.htm
http://www.barryrhodes.com/2015/10/where-to-stand-on-putting-green.html

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, NM Golf said:

I don't really think I am in the minority though, heck the PGA of America says not to do it, I guess they are wrong and the minority too?

Danny, the etiquette rule is in place to stop someone from getting right behind you in your field of view. From being a distraction.

That's it.

The things you cited even speak to that. The first says "do not stand too close" and that it can "be a distraction." Standing closer to the guy's line of ptut and then immediately moving in to view it, per the poll, is a much bigger distraction.

You're in the minority on the poll. That's all I said.

I've been playing golf for a long time. Caddied at every level of the game. I've been asked to move on the putting green ONE time, and it was because I didn't notice that that the shadow of the flagstick I was holding was just across the line of someone else's putt while I was watching players tee off on the next hole (a par three), so I could gauge the wind for my player (I was caddying).

That rule of etiquette is in place to stop you from being a distraction. If you're 20 to 30' back, you're not one. Simple as that.

1. Showing up less than 15 minutes before your tee time. No - I arrive at the course at least 15 minutes early for casual round, usually an hour early for tournament play.
  2. Putting with too many balls on the practice green. No - I use only 2 balls on the practice green.
  3. Failing to pick up the flagstick. No - I do this regularly
  4. Taking only one club to your ball on cart path only days. No - I take as many as I feel I'll need, and sometimes I only need one.
  5. Looking for a lost ball for more than five minutes. No - It's rare for me to search for more than 2 minutes for my own ball... for a fellow competitor... as long as he does, but not more than 5 minutes.
  6. Talking to someone else's ball. Stupid - not much else to say about this one.
  7. Standing behind someone as they putt. No - just a courtesy like not talking while he makes a stroke.
  8. Walking in a player's through line. Stupid - With 4 balls scattered around the green, I'm primarily concerned with the line of putt.  That through line has been walked on innumerable times that day, and on the course where I play most tournaments, the greens are firm and fast - you would have to jump up and down with 400 pounds on your back to even begin to make an impression.  I'm not Phil Mickelson, so simply don't worry about it.
  9. Placing bag on a tee box. No - but it's a stupid rule
  10. Walking across the green with your bag. No - another stupid rule... if a 165 pound guy carries his 30 pound bag across the green, is he doing more damage than the 300 pound guy walking without a bag?
  11. Lack of divot pattern on the driving range. No
  12. Not picking up on a match play hole when you're out of it. No - not usually a factor, since my matches are played on public courses with the regular flow of play, but I will pick up if it might get us to the next tee sooner.
  13. Checking your phone too much. No - I use my phone for my GPS, so I check it for each fairway shot, but that's it.
  14. Gimmes (failing to give, taking too many for yourself) No - Don't do gimmes except in a match, and then I just use my judgement as to whether it's the right act at the time.
12 minutes ago, NM Golf said:

Have you ever worked as a starter? I've been doing it for 20 years, I'm pretty good at it.

What you don't understand is this is not always possible. More often than not people don't want to be rushed up to the tee box because some other guy can't get to the course on time. I realize life happens, but it's common courtesy to be on time. 

I agree.  I worked as a starter for 5 years, and when the course is busy, a late arrival means that you lose your tee time.  That next group may have timed their preparation to be ready just on time, and that is their right.  I don't have the right to make them leave the practice green early just so that you can have the luxury of being late.  You show up for your time or you get the next open slot, which may be 4 hours away.  That's how it is on a busy public course. 

Nothing screws up a starter more than having a group show up to check in 5 minutes before they are supposed to tee off.  In my case, I might have already given that time to someone on my waiting list of walk on players.  I call a group to the tee 9 minutes before their tee time, and if you aren't checked in, I'll clearly state that if I don't see anyone in the group within 2 minutes, then that time is forfeit. 

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I play alone much of the time so some of these don't apply to me very often but when I play with others:

1. Showing up less than 15 minutes before your tee time. - I'm good at getting to the teebox on time regardless if I'm 20 minutes early or get there within 5 minutes.
  2. Putting with too many balls on the practice green. - No
  3. Failing to pick up the flagstick. - I pick it up if I'm the first one finished putting.
  4. Taking only one club to your ball on cart path only days. - I use a walking cart much of the time.
  5. Looking for a lost ball for more than five minutes. - I'm guilty of this at times.
  6. Talking to someone else's ball. - Eh, maybe when it's in the air if it looks like it'll be on line I'll yell out "be the right club."
  7. Standing behind someone as they putt. - No, usually stand out of their view.
  8. Walking in a player's through line. - No
  9. Placing bag on a tee box. - Yes, but I doubt my walking cart is doing any damage.
  10. Walking across the green with your bag. - I put my walking cart to the side closest to the next teebox so no.
  11. Lack of divot pattern on the driving range. - The driving ranges I practice at are all chewed up but I try and stay within the same area.
  12. Not picking up on a match play hole when you're out of it. - I never play match play but pick up after a certain amount of strokes.
  13. Checking your phone too much. - Some would say I'm guilty of this because I'm using GameGolf and checking Twitter and IG when I'm waiting on others.
  14. Gimmes (failing to give, taking too many for yourself) - I usually just putt out and let others decide if they want to pick up.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

1-2. 

I try to get to the course early particularly as I want to be able to warm up, putt, hit balls if there’s a range, etc. Sometimes stuff happens though and it just doesn’t work out. I have only shown up late once (I got in a car accident) and met up with the group a few holes in. 

I only talk to other players’ shots if it actually looks close... it annoys the heck out of me when I mishit a shot that clearly isn’t going to get there and someone is behind me yelling “get up!” 

1. Showing up less than 15 minutes before your tee time. - No, I need a good warm up and some practice before teeing off 
  2. Putting with too many balls on the practice green. - No, I pick up my extra balls if there are more than a few other players around
  3. Failing to pick up the flagstick. - Might happen if I'm really tired
  4. Taking only one club to your ball on cart path only days. - N/A, I prefer to carry and I don't play any courses that forces me to use a cart
  5. Looking for a lost ball for more than five minutes. - No, I find looking for lost balls to be the worst part of golf so I try to limit my exposure to this horrible activity even if it might cost me a few strokes (admittedly I only play casually)
  6. Talking to someone else's ball. - No
  7. Standing behind someone as they putt. - No, I usually stand out of their view.
  8. Walking in a player's through line. - No
  9. Placing bag on a tee box. - No
  10. Walking across the green with your bag. - Yes, I had never heard of this being a breach of etiquette. However, I'm a slim guy with a light stand bag so I doubt I do much damage to the greens (would guess on approximately 170-180 lbs with bag) 
  11. Lack of divot pattern on the driving range. - No
  12. Not picking up on a match play hole when you're out of it. - NoI rarely play match play but pick up after a certain amount of strokes if there are other players behind on the course
  13. Checking your phone too much. - No, golf is time away from phone/email/etc
  14. Gimmes (failing to give, taking too many for yourself) - No

On 9/11/2018 at 3:47 PM, billchao said:

You need to play more munis. What's a divot mix? ;-)

They don't even have the stuff out on tee boxes.

My Home Muni course used to have divot mix on the TEE boxes.
However Considering the course also part of a public park, someone was taking the divot mix home.
The Super did not know if it was golfers or local residents.
eitherway someone these days has a decent lawn.

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

Most of the above rules are not that big of infractions except if you never pick up a flag or stand to close or walk across a line.   And usually my friendly sarcasm takes care of the problem.

My group NEVER uses the gimme unless less that 1 foot. Never for birdie of eagles as well.

I would add my pet grouse is set for too many trips to the refreshment cart or to their cooler pockets for adult beverages.  And, yes I drink and even make my own beer. But, driving a cart under the influence is dangerous and such golfers seem to get too loud and too rude.  Save it for the 19th hole.

I NEVER talk to another's ball; if it talks back I might get bad advice.  I only talk to myself in a round lest people think I am too crazy.  (I do know what is meant but again, something I do not do.)  

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

On 9/11/2018 at 3:13 PM, Sandy Divot said:

9&10 are pure garbage. I have a turf degree, and neither will damage the turf.By the way, what is your source for these rules?

Good to know because looking back if there were any of these I break it would be #9, I just don't think I have ever paid that much attention. I don't think I take my bag on the tee box, but maybe I have. 

Story about #6. the Director of Golf at my course used to be a really good player, one of the best in our section. The first time I ever played with him probably 15-20 years ago, one of the guys in our group told his ball to get up. He looked at the guy and told him, "Don't ever talk to my f#cking ball again, it knows what to do better than you do." I've never uttered another sound since. 😬

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

#6 seems very questionable to me... Sure, if you're in a competition I suppose.

Everyone and I mean EVERYONE I've ever played with talks to my ball in a positive manner. 

"Go, go, go"  -  "BITE"  and everything else.

I think it's good manners. It means they are paying attention and pulling for me.

I always try to reciprocate it back to them. Just seems friendly to me.

• Like 1

- Steve

Driver: titleist.png.44b235e3fc0459caf96200c226b82945.png 917D2 (9.5*), 3/4 Wood: titleist.png.44b235e3fc0459caf96200c226b82945.png 917F2 (16*),
Hybridstaylormade.png.b56433b17b721d4da3cda2f79f9e73a7.png Rescue Mid (19*) & :wilsonstaff: D100 (22*), 5i-PW, GWcobra.png.f5a0c3806c04153a74a3b11aaf4308b0.png F7 One Length
Wedges:wilsonstaff: PMP (54* & 58*), Puttertaylormade.png.b56433b17b721d4da3cda2f79f9e73a7.png Spider Mini

Note: This thread is 1993 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!