Jump to content

23 posts in this topic Last Reply

Recommended Posts

I keep entertaining the notion of getting new wedges. I currently have the set of Tom Watson's from Adams golf. Other than  full swings, I am not convinced that newer wedges offer all that much benefit over older ones. Cleveland and Vokey seem to be the industry leaders, but are they really all that better?  I keep looking at some individual wedges at the pro shop, one of which is made by Tour Edge. Not their top of the line, but the "Super Spin" at around $60.  In appearance, they look nearly identical to my current wedges, but do have a bit more bounce and beveled leading edge. I would choose the Tour Edge more or less out of brand loyalty and to compliment my new irons. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

Sounds like you don't need new wedges but would like some new ones to match the rest of your gear.  If ya got the extra $$$ go for it!

I have many sets of irons and wedges (all different brands).... do I need them all?  No... but I have them because I collect clubs.  Its a disease I tell ya!

Is any one better than the other?  Well, I think they all play pretty similar I just have a few that I feel more comfy with and that brings more confidence when it comes time to use them.

 

PS - This means Go Get Them!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

4 minutes ago, Vinny Cap said:

Sounds like you don't need new wedges but would like some new ones to match the rest of your gear.  If ya got the extra $$$ go for it!

I have many sets of irons and wedges (all different brands).... do I need them all?  No... but I have them because I collect clubs.  Its a disease I tell ya!

Is any one better than the other?  Well, I think they all play pretty similar I just have a few that I feel more comfy with and that brings more confidence when it comes time to use them.

 

PS - This means Go Get Them!!!!

Da voice of Reason!   Especially in short wedge play, more of a matter of touch and confidence. That plus an understanding of technique, i.e. Chip, Hinge and Hold, Paint Brush, using bounce, body movement plus, plus....

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

8 minutes ago, Hacker James said:

Da voice of Reason!   Especially in short wedge play, more of a matter of touch and confidence. That plus an understanding of technique, i.e. Chip, Hinge and Hold, Paint Brush, using bounce, body movement plus, plus....

 

I am glad you understand....

Now go get em and let me know how they feel!  :beer:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, Vinny Cap said:

I am glad you understand....

Now go get em and let me know how they feel!  :beer:

wanna make me a loan? (reminded me of the cartoon character in popeye, Wally..."I'll glad pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today"

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

29 minutes ago, Hacker James said:

wanna make me a loan? (reminded me of the cartoon character in popeye, Wally..."I'll glad pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today"

 

Gladly play you Saturday for a shiny new wedge today!!!!  LOL  Good one! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

ok, pulled the trigger!  BUT, am taking a chance on a 3 wedge set of TGS (Triple Grind Sole). One reason is they eliminated the bounce from toe and heel and placed it in the middle. Also the appearance fits with my irons (strictly vanity) and finally the price for all three is about the same as a single club from one of their other offerings. These could be a P.O.S. but taking the chance anyway. At least I can say, I have a "new" set of irons.

Amazon Store = Free shipping anything over $25.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

same name, but different graphics in the set of 3. I will see if I can find an ad.

 

note: tried to paste the link but won't let me. Just do a search on google for Tour Edge Wedge set and be directed to Amazon tour edge  TGS  3 wedge set

Edited by Hacker James

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 9/11/2018 at 1:09 PM, Hacker James said:

Cleveland and Vokey seem to be the industry leaders, but are they really all that better?  

I’m by no means an expert, but I recently got a Cleveland Rotex 2.0 60 degree wedge - a few years old, but was unhit still in the plastic - and it’s magical. Unbelievable out of sand, even though that wasn’t the purpose for which it was purchased. Puts a ton of spin on the ball. I love it. It’s the first “new” golf club I’ve ever purchased and it was a worthwhile investment, imo. I’m thinking about getting a 50-degree to replace my current secondhand PW

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, FrivolouslyWasted said:

I’m by no means an expert, but I recently got a Cleveland Rotex 2.0 60 degree wedge - a few years old, but was unhit still in the plastic - and it’s magical. Unbelievable out of sand, even though that wasn’t the purpose for which it was purchased. Puts a ton of spin on the ball. I love it. It’s the first “new” golf club I’ve ever purchased and it was a worthwhile investment, imo. I’m thinking about getting a 50-degree to replace my current secondhand PW

As you can tell by my signature, I like them too.  50's a good choice for a gap wedge.  The only bad thing about them is that you can no longer blame anything on crummy old wedges.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On ‎9‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 11:50 AM, Vinny Cap said:

I am glad you understand....

Now go get em and let me know how they feel!  :beer:

will do. I could have had them yesterday as they arrived at a FEDEX Facility only ten miles away, but they sent them first to a facility 80 miles away, and then to another one about 60 miles in another direction. Kinda round about way, but still ahead of schedule assuming they get here in a day or so.

 

Edited by Hacker James

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 9/12/2018 at 4:05 PM, Hacker James said:

741283140_wedgeset.jpg.3d2b77a3dca1237404e08f2b4a836551.jpg  tried as jpg

I saw those, I didnt realize you bought the 3 set combo. Sweet!  3 new toys to play with this weekend!

I am jealous.

15 hours ago, Hacker James said:

will do. I could have had them yesterday as they arrived at a FEDEX Facility only ten miles away, but they sent them first to a facility 80 miles away, and then to another one about 60 miles in another direction. Kinda round about way, but still ahead of schedule assuming they get here in a day or so.

 

Yea Amazon deliveries are pretty wacky.  Hopefully you get them and go out to play today, Sat and Sun!

Feedback after trying!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, Vinny Cap said:

I saw those, I didnt realize you bought the 3 set combo. Sweet!  3 new toys to play with this weekend!

I am jealous.

Yea Amazon deliveries are pretty wacky.  Hopefully you get them and go out to play today, Sat and Sun!

Feedback after trying!!

Well,they got more for around $69

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I got my :mizuno: MP-R12 52* & 58* for $70 and they both were barley used with new grips.

That was a sweet deal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

6 minutes ago, Vinny Cap said:

I got my :mizuno: MP-R12 52* & 58* for $70 and they both were barley used with new grips.

That was a sweet deal.

Defintely!  I seldom will buy new. I did get my EXi irons new because I could order them with custom specs.

Edited by Hacker James

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...