DSGolfer23

New Ping i500 Irons, Lost Distance

23 posts / 7701 viewsLast Reply

OP, Ping makes great irons - I like both the i500 and i210, but I ended up with the Mizuno 919F because the fit - the head and shaft - PX LZ Tour 90 Graphite - seems a good fit. I was getting more distance than the i210 in graphite, although with power specs, I would recapture some yardage if I had sufficient spin. I like the i500s bit thought the 919 would give me consistency, forgiveness, and almost as much distance. The equipment is so good these days - it's just what works for you in getting fit and whether it meets what you need in an iron.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

Are you deriving this new distance based on one trip to the driving range?   Did you also hit your Mizunos while you were there?   

If the answer is Yes, no, then it could be any number of things.   could've been some wind up high coming at you that you didn't notice.  could've been warn down or limited flight range balls.  or, maybe, you just weren't swinging very well that day.   could be a bunch of things.   but, don't make judgements based on one trip to the range.   

5 hours ago, Foot Wedge said:

I got a chance to hit a few balls with an i500 7 iron during lunch today and it was interesting.  I was either getting my typical carry (~155) with higher spin (6000-6200 rpm) or WAY longer (170-175) with stupid low spin, as in 3700-3800 rpm low.  Both with about 20* launch angles.  It was hard to tell much more though since I hit into a net without the flight simulator (that's only available for fittings), just the carry, launch, direction, and spin numbers.  My miss is high and right so I don't know if those were the shorter ones, but the the direction angles were close to 0 and the "sidespin" numbers were pretty low (200-400) although I am not versed enough in ballflight numbers to know exactly what kind of curvature that means.

What do you think of the feel compared to the ie1?  I wouldn't really describe the i500 as soft to be honest.

The i500 irons do not feel as soft as the ie1 to me.

On 10/8/2018 at 4:45 PM, lastings said:

Are you deriving this new distance based on one trip to the driving range?   Did you also hit your Mizunos while you were there?   

If the answer is Yes, no, then it could be any number of things.   could've been some wind up high coming at you that you didn't notice.  could've been warn down or limited flight range balls.  or, maybe, you just weren't swinging very well that day.   could be a bunch of things.   but, don't make judgements based on one trip to the range.   

If you're referring to my post, I hit the i210, i500 and Mizuno 900F off the outside range at the same time in not the best fitting shafts - both Pings were 80g CFS shafts, while the Mizuno was steel - PX 5.5.

Then I hit the JPX919F with a fitted shaft, the i210 and i500 with the Recoil 780 SmacWrap on the sim.

But not my first rodeo - I'ma ho' of the first degree.

I've taken them out on the course a few times and my distance seems to be getting better.  They have a nice feel, but I can tell that I am not hitting them consistently in the sweet spot.  Still working on figuring out the distances.  PW/UW seem to be going very similar.  I hit a UW from about 130 hole high, which is about the same distance I hit my JPX GW, but I hit it so chunky.  I didn't think there was any way I would be close to the green.

9 and 8 irons are very similar as well.  8 iron is going a little longer.  The big changes are in my 7 - 6 - 5 irons.  I hit the 6 iron about 200, and the 7 iron about 190.  I am normally about 180 and 170.  I have a feeling the gaps are going to need some adjustment once I really get the feel down.