IGNORED

11 Reasons You Stink at Golf

NM Golf
Note: This thread is 1984 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 minute ago, iacas said:

Huh?

People who play need some love for doing so.  Yeah...some people are really bad;,but they are out there trying and are way beyond people who do not try at all.  Devoting time and effort to something does not insure success; but who dives in with that in mind?

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

7 hours ago, Lihu said:

Based upon what I hear on the driving range(s) "f*** ME" occurs quite a bit more than other expletives, but maybe those are the not as crappy golfers? :-D

I didn't see you at the range last time I practiced.

Jon

On ‎9‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 8:42 AM, Bucki1968 said:

Yes! Play ready golf! There is nothing worse than watching the group in front of you all stand/sit around and watch one guy hit his shot. Get ready to hit yours!

All that being said, I like to walk when I can. Right now in Florida it's not real practical to walk 18 holes in sauna heat. 

I also believe that most people can improve playing golf by playing/practicing more. It's all about how much time you have to devote to practice/playing.

What do you all think of playing ready golf on the green?

The group I play with, we all line up our putts (assuming you aren't actually in somebody's line) while the person putting is going through their routine. We generally stop moving right when the guy makes his stroke, but not always. If we're not in the guy's line of sight. 

Anyway, we are all off the green really quickly. However, a couple weeks ago I was playing with some guys who just went bat-$hit crazy over me moving while one of them was putting. I was paired up with a threesome that apparently all knew each other and they all stayed completely still while each of them walked around their balls, checking both sides, plumb-bobbing, etc... 

So, on the first hole one of them was standing like 8 feet behind his ball looking at the line. I was well inside him, but not in his line by any stretch of the imagination. I was lining up my ball, putting the line I draw around my ball pointed in the right direction, when I realize they are all staring at me. The guy literally barks at me "ARE YOU DONE!" like I'm the A-hole. "uh, yeah." 90 seconds later he finishes his routine and putts his ball. 

They all played this way... We are on a freaking muni on a Friday afternoon. NOT the PGA tour. Each of these guys shot like 100 to 110, but every green took forever. I'm watching the foursome behind us waiting to hit approach shots, tossing grass in the air, chit chatting, stretching. Meanwhile, the entire round these guys are giving me stick-eye like I'm the least considerate guy on the planet. Even though I stood completely still any time any of us were on the green from then on. I even found their ball for them like a half dozen times, still no love. I guess my first impression was just not to be overcome. Probably one of the last enjoyable rounds I've ever played. 

My only revenge, I played pretty well and finished with an 82. The guy that scolded me was the dude keeping score so he had to know I would have beat him by 20 strokes. I'm not saying that we shouldn't respect everyone's needs on the course, but the course is packed, and these guys are playing a 5-1/2 hour round, spending more time on the green than it is supposed to take to play the hole. 

So, I'm curious, what do you all consider fair practices for ready golf on the greens? 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

11 hours ago, Piz said:

Nobody stinks at golf.  Are you kidding me?  

You must be kidding me, because A LOT of people stink at golf. I see it every day. Hell, I myself played the back side on Sunday like a bag of dicks, I was horrible.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

So, I'm curious, what do you all consider fair practices for ready golf on the greens? 

:offtopic:

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On 9/18/2018 at 12:28 PM, JonMA1 said:

I think you overestimate the ability of those will little to zero talent and you may even underestimate your own talent level. I say that with the utmost respect for those of you who have some natural talent and put in the good work.

I have been thinking on and off about your post and a response to it for a couple of weeks now. I have always believed that 'talent' is an unfortunate word. Really it is. I believe generations of people have been mislead into labeling that as an impenetrable absolute (you have it or you don't) in too many things. Shooting upper 80s allows for plenty of bad shots and requires mediocre athleticism (let's say 80 mph driver swing speed). You might have to be born with serious talent to shoot scratch but you can absolutely build this level of talent with little pieces put together. 

I believe an average individual may get to the upper 80's in a couple years under those circumstances

Shooting 80s in two years?? Yeah, see I think you are a bit misinformed on how long it can take to build even a basic workable golf swing. I can all but guarantee that anybody who shoots 80s from nothing in two years prolly ended up being a mid-low 70s shooter in the next two years after that. Nothing average about that. Not talking about that guy here.

I've always enjoyed stories of a player who, despite putting in the work, plateaued in the upper 90's or worse for several years before making a change or have some sort of breakthrough to become considerably better rapidly. Those stories don't seem to be common.

You are almost certainly talking about me. Took up golf at age 30, made up swing with lot's of self exploratory work and no engagement with in person swing instructor, plateaued at 17-18 handicap till age 40 and then finally after couple of years of work with the right instructor started shooting mid upper 80s on mostly easy courses. Of course, progress has lead further since but you get my point.  

That's 13 years chief! So in my case I can safely say in-born talent doesn't apply unless you consider patience as a talent type virtue.

So from one talentless worker (who has been at it twice as long as you) to another and hope it comes across as nothing but encouragement  - 7 years ain't nothing. 

Edited by GolfLug
  • Upvote 1

Vishal S.

1 hour ago, GolfLug said:

So from one talentless worker (who has been at it twice as long as you) to another and hope it comes across as nothing but encouragement  - 7 years ain't nothing. 

Point taken Vishal. Posts like yours are very encouraging to those of us who believe we just don't have what it takes. Thank you.

And for those who do excel and reach a high level in a relatively short period of time, it's apparent that a lot of work is also needed. I don't want it to sound like I think people with extraordinary or even better-than-average talent don't have to also work their tails off to get there.

Jon

On 10/4/2018 at 2:55 AM, JonMA1 said:

I didn't see you at the range last time I practiced.

I go about 2 times a week at most with my Mevo, and I do the 25 minutes daily in front of a window to insure my form and use the super sped sticks with my swing speed radar. Putting and chipping a lot more too!

So, I’m a rare person on the range these days, but when I’m there there’s lots of “ Why the f*** did I do that?” 😂😂🤪

Edited by Lihu
Daily

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/29/2018 at 5:20 AM, iacas said:

First off, you’re wrong about the average handicap not improving and secondly hitting a golf ball is exponentially more difficult than throwing a baseball.

I agree that most instruction is pretty bad, but don’t paint everyone with that same brush.

I did not paint everyone with the same brush.  I said "most instruction"  and I stand by that.   I would also submit that you perceive that hitting a   golf ball is exponentially harder than throwing a baseball because it has been made so by poor instruction methods.     Do you also maintain that hitting a golf ball is exponentially more difficult than hitting a baseball.  They don't teach you 8 steps to hit a baseball.

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, rdubya59 said:

I did not paint everyone with the same brush.  I said "most instruction"  and I stand by that.

Okay. I'm just telling you to be cautious, as it can read that way.

I would also submit that you perceive that hitting a   golf ball is exponentially harder than throwing a baseball because it has been made so by poor instruction methods.

No. Not true.

Kids can learn to throw a baseball pretty quickly. Kids can not learn to play golf anywhere near as quickly. Throwing a baseball doesn't involve the same (longer) radius OR the same level of control as swinging a golf club and hitting a ball solidly. The longer radius with the added control requirements alone make golf more difficult.

Do you also maintain that hitting a golf ball is exponentially more difficult than hitting a baseball.

Yep. You get a whole 90° in which to hit it, and a grounder is sometimes more preferable to a fly ball. Much, much more margin for error.

But hey, don't just ask me - athletes from virtually every sport have gone on record as saying golf is the most difficult of the main sports to play.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

13 hours ago, iacas said:

Kids can learn to throw a baseball pretty quickly. Kids can not learn to play golf anywhere near as quickly. Throwing a baseball doesn't involve the same (longer) radius OR the same level of control as swinging a golf club and hitting a ball solidly. The longer radius with the added control requirements alone make golf more difficult. 

To that point, my 2.5 year old can throw a ball. Not well, but he will release the ball every time, and it generally goes the direction he was aiming. He's much less successful at even making contact with a golf ball - much less getting the ball in the air or getting it to go the direction he's aiming.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

• Administrator
3 hours ago, DeadMan said:

To that point, my 2.5 year old can throw a ball. Not well, but he will release the ball every time, and it generally goes the direction he was aiming. He's much less successful at even making contact with a golf ball - much less getting the ball in the air or getting it to go the direction he's aiming.

Throwing things is almost an evolutionary type of motion. We've had to throw rocks or spears or things.

Hitting a golf ball is not evolutionary at all.

On 10/18/2018 at 7:54 PM, iacas said:

Okay. I'm just telling you to be cautious, as it can read that way.

I'm sorry you got all butt hurt over my opinion.  It's only my opinion.  When did it become your job to policy my opinions.  I'll express my opinion with as much caution as I think necessary. Your opinion is just that, only your opinion.

24 minutes ago, rdubya59 said:

I'm sorry you got all butt hurt over my opinion.  It's only my opinion.  When did it become your job to policy my opinions.  I'll express my opinion with as much caution as I think necessary. Your opinion is just that, only your opinion.

Oh brother. Absolutely unnecessary. Come on man....

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

• Administrator
50 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Oh brother. Absolutely unnecessary. Come on man....

Unnecessary and wrong: I'm not butt-hurt at all. Hell, everyone here knows I pretty much agree that most instruction and instructor are terrible.

And… hitting a golf ball is exponentially more difficult than throwing a ball.

Note: This thread is 1984 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!