NM Golf

11 Reasons You Stink at Golf

69 posts in this topic Last Reply

Along the same lines as the 14 etiquette rules from Golf Magazine here are the 11 reasons why you never get better at golf. 

11 Reasons Why You Stink at Golf

Surprisingly enough I find most of these reasons to be factual. Some (#2) have been discussed on here at length. I think #11 is debatable at best.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

some good points but I disagree with:

#8 Riding a cart.

Some courses require carts to speed up play

But as to me:

I ride a cart primarily because I  cannot walk a course fully.  I have had major operations on both a foot and knee.  Without a cart, I would either not finish a round or would cause a back-up by how slowly I could walk.  When I was younger and playing I would never think of a cart, either to walk with to carry my clubs or ride on.  This comment  is a tad too snarky and suggests handicapped golfers should not play the game.

7 minutes ago, DrMJG said:

This comment  is a tad too snarky and suggests handicapped golfers should not play the game.

I don't think it says that at all, and I think you're looking too hard to be offended (as mildly offended as you may be).

The article says nothing about handicapped players. It's clearly addressing the player who can walk, but doesn't to "save energy" as the article says.

It's not talking to you. Or about you.

The cart thing is a bit of a stretch. I certainly don't think it is meant to disrespect anyone with disabilities. Personally I prefer walking but I do ride a fair amount of the time, I don't think it hurts my game.

Number 11 is debatable but I think it is important to recognize that we focus both on the feels and the facts of the Swing as shown by such things as video, instructors, Etc. I'm a person who likes to see an image rather than being told to put my hands in a certain position. Just a thought. Best, -Marv 

4. You’ve got the wrong mix of clubs

News flash. You’ve got no business carrying a two-iron. You’re also probably not good enough to have more wedges than hybrids in your bag.

What the hecking heck is that last sentence supposed to mean?  That there is something wrong with the typical PW, GW, SW, LW?  Should I carry 5 hybrids?  Even if I chose to carry a short Sunday bag with just pitching wedge and sand wedge I should also have 3 hybrids in there!?!?!

Sig

Witb

Driver, 1hybrid, 2hybrid, 3hybrid, 4hybrid, 5hybrid, 6hybrid, 7hybrid, 8hybrid, 9hybrid, 10hybrid, 11hybrid, SW, hybrid putter

Someone should define "stink"...lol

1 hour ago, iacas said:

I don't think it says that at all, and I think you're looking too hard to be offended (as mildly offended as you may be).

The article says nothing about handicapped players. It's clearly addressing the player who can walk, but doesn't to "save energy" as the article says.

It's not talking to you. Or about you.

Then, I would have preferred if the author has noted the exception to his rule.  And, as you know, my game has improved primarily through daily and focused practice.  But, I would have like the next level acknowledged. Maybe he just does not get too man HCPed people seeking lessons.

I agree these all seem pretty much true except the cart thing and #11, the words/images/feels one.  Though I agree that if you physically can and the course isn't ridiculous to walk, golf is a better experience walking)

#11 seems just like a weird semantic point.  If you're taking verbal advice, the only way you can really abide by the other things that relate to practicing (doing it enough and with a purpose) is to use images/video.  You kinda need the words to understand what the feels are supposed to be getting you, and what images you need to see (and which you don't) to have good, consistent results.  So it should really say something more like, you don't use video in your practice.

11. You focus more on words than feel

You’ve gotten a lot of verbal instruction. But, Tattersall says, “Words don’t translate as well to performance.” Pay more attention to images and feels. It will free up your mind. And your swing.

Not sure if this is what the author meant, but I took this as maybe describing those who can talk about the swing plane,  tempo, casting, flipping, reverse C, lag, releasing the club..... They know exactly what the terms mean and even why they're important, but they can't always apply them to their own swings.

That's just what came to mind when I read it.

Most of the items on the list apply to many of us, but I still believe a lack of natural talent has a lot to do with why I still suck.

1. BS.  I practice all the time

2.  Yep. Probably the most accurate weakness even though I put a good deal of effort towards practicing correctly.

3. BS. Got fitted for my irons and my driver. That doesn't mean the fitter did a good job of course.

4. Possible, but with little impact. Could replace the 4i and 5i with hybrids, but that's not why I suck. 

5. BS. I track my stats and devote practice to improve a trending weakness.

6. BS. I'm exactly as bad as I think I am.

7. True. Nothing like the example they've given of 150 yds, but I do expect to hit more greens with a wedge in my hand.

8. BS. I walk 90% of the time.

9. A little truth. I know a quick-fix is not the answer, but I sometimes practice (incorrectly, see #2) hoping there will be an aha moment or discovering that one simple thought or movement which is preventing me from seeing a little success at my single priority. 

10. BS. I play the tees that fit my distances and still don't score well.

11. Somewhat true. I have a difficult time feeling or putting into action what I've been told or have read. I don't, however, buy into the "feel the club head" or "natural swing" way of thinking.

First off,"sucking" at golf is relative/subjective (Kinda). But here is my take: 

#1- Probably the biggest reason why people suck at golf

#2- Probably the second biggest reason why people suck at golf lol

#3- I don't think this causes anyone to "suck" at the game. However, a proper fitting surely helps. 

#4-  I think this could hurt someones game for sure.

#5/#6- I think these go hand in hand. They don't keep their stats and therefore they have a false idea of what they actually need to work on and what they are actually capable of. They only remember the miracle shots. 

#7- This does effect a golfer for sure. Playing on "tilt" or out of frustration is where big scores jump up quickly. 

#8- Riding a cart doesn't make anyone suck at golf. I can see the benefits of walking and taking time to plan your desired shot upcoming. 

#9- Hahahaha yes ok maybe this is tied into #2 and the nomination of those two may actually be the biggest reasons why people suck at golf. I have never seen the masses chase after " quick fix"solutions as much as you do with weight loss, getting wealthy, or lower golf scores haha. 

#10- Nah. Play the right tees and you can score pretty well. The caveat is someone who can't get the ball more than 100 yards in the air or something. 

#11- Yeah but this goes into #2 and #9. People thing a simple swing mantra or one piece f advice will take them from a 100 something shooter to a guy breaking 80 like its nothing. Not gonna happen. 

3 hours ago, DrMJG said:

Then, I would have preferred if the author has noted the exception to his rule.

No, that’s dumb. The explanation or exception would be longer than the reason. You’re trying too hard to be offended.

3 hours ago, DrMJG said:

Then, I would have preferred if the author has noted the exception to his rule.  And, as you know, my game has improved primarily through daily and focused practice.  But, I would have like the next level acknowledged. Maybe he just does not get too man HCPed people seeking lessons.

The author apparently believes that using a cart causes less optimal performance. Why you use a cart is irrelevant and in no way is offensive. He's not saying, 'anyone who doesn't walk is making a poor decision.' He's saying that he believes one will play better if the course was walked. Again, nothing offensive at all about that and he's leaving nobody out.

1 hour ago, iacas said:

No, that’s dumb. The explanation or exception would be longer than the reason. You’re trying too hard to be offended.

Longer?  Adding something as simple as "except for handicapped golfers" or "unless if needed"?

No, not a matter of being offended (I am actually very hard to fully offend): it is rather more like not excluding others. This I feel strongly about.  Remember when most courses, except munis, excluded African-Americans? I am old enough to recall many who did so.  It was a matter of not just including but changing to not excluding.  

Besides, most of us improve by working on our shots while standing still. I cannot fathom how true #8 is  in any measurable way, as to claim why one cannot improve to a better game or WHY they are relegated to play a poorer game.  I will grant both you and the author are of strong opinion here. I just do not see it as major of a factor as he does. 

4 hours ago, DrMJG said:

Longer?  Adding something as simple as "except for handicapped golfers" or "unless if needed"?

Not trying to pile on @DrMJG, but I think all those exclusions - and probably many others - go without saying. I don't think there's anything but respect for those who play this game with a physical or mental disability, especially those who don't require acknowledgment or preferential treatment.

Plus, it's just an article. Who gives a shit what this guy thinks or how he writes it. Maybe a 12th reason why we don't improve is that we hope to find something meaningful in Golf magazine.

7 hours ago, DrMJG said:

No, not a matter of being offended (I am actually very hard to fully offend): it is rather more like not excluding others. This I feel strongly about.  Remember when most courses, except munis, excluded African-Americans? I am old enough to recall many who did so.  It was a matter of not just including but changing to not excluding.  

Besides, most of us improve by working on our shots while standing still. I cannot fathom how true #8 is  in any measurable way, as to claim why one cannot improve to a better game or WHY they are relegated to play a poorer game.  I will grant both you and the author are of strong opinion here. I just do not see it as major of a factor as he does. 

It could have got edited out too. The original thought may have been longer. Editors do that to writers. 

2 hours ago, JonMA1 said:

Maybe a 12th reason why we don't improve is that we hope to find something meaningful in Golf magazine.

That should be at the top of the list.