• Want to join this community?

We'd love to have you!

• Support TST Affiliates

TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    Whoop
    SuperSpeed
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo and the code "iacasjun21" for 10% off SuperSpeed.
    • Thank you @iacas i will check out the website. 
    • I’d recommend anything by @GeauGolf.
    • In Michigan we have universities that are both sides of the fence.    Eastern Michigan used the name Hurons but in 1991 changed to Eagles.   Central Michigan is still called the Chippewas with the permission from the local tribe.
    • Except that it is.
    • Once enough people decide something is offensive, you either change it or suffer the consequences.  The thing I find most interesting is the campaign it took to slowly drag enough people to that conclusion.  Certain groups have been working on this since 1940s. I remember seeing advertisements in Sports Illustrated from the 1970s that had pennants with alternative racist-slur nicknames for the non-native races. Kind of disappointed I couldn't find a picture of it online.  As recently as 2002, the same magazine ran a story that said over half of Native Americans did not consider the nicknames offensive. It was sort of suggested that the activists weren't necessarily on the same page with the population at large.  It's also sort of fun to look back at all the different sports teams and colleges that have changed their name and/or logo.  Stanford was one of the first, but there have been a number of others that I wasn't aware of.       
  • Today's Birthdays

1. chriswuk
      chriswuk
      (30 years old)
    2. Gero
      Gero
      (78 years old)
    3. nettscore
      nettscore
      (50 years old)
    4. RandMart3
      RandMart3
      (69 years old)

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...