Mike74

7 iron challenge

10 posts in this topic Last Reply

Hi

After recent troubles with driving the golf ball. I made a decision to play a round using the club I hit the best most often. That being my seven Iron. I shot 91, which is about average for the way I have been hitting over the last 2 months. My best round is 83 about 4 months back and since then trouble hitting the fairways has been starting to affect my enjoyment of the game which is what ultimately brought me to the decision to try this. I enjoyed the round and hit all but 2 fairways which doesn’t reflect in the 91 but that was mainly because of my short game. 

I am not advocating this approach just interested in feedback from others you have given this ago or those that might be willing to take up the challenge. See what they score in comparison to normal.

cheers

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

Glad you enjoyed it. I’ve never done that but my driver is my most reliable club (can’t shank it). But I can’t get myself to use the course for stuff like that. If I’m playing that day, I’m playing. If my driving is off...so be it. I’m gonna keep trying every tee shot. If I’m playing well I’d be interested in seeing how I’d score with a 7i (I don’t have a particular iron I hit better). If my virus is active...well....I’d be lucky to break 100.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I did just the opposie a few times.

For some reason I was having problems swinging my PW. By the 5th hole, i couldn't find a fix. So, I played the next 13 holes with just my PW, and my putter. 

I have done the same with other clubs a few times, but the PW adventure still stands out. By the end of the round, I was back to normal. 

As for playing just with my best club, I have done that few times too. That being my 7W, along with my putter. 

Edited by Patch

1 hour ago, Mike74 said:

Hi

After recent troubles with driving the golf ball. I made a decision to play a round using the club I hit the best most often. That being my seven Iron. I shot 91, which is about average for the way I have been hitting over the last 2 months. My best round is 83 about 4 months back and since then trouble hitting the fairways has been starting to affect my enjoyment of the game which is what ultimately brought me to the decision to try this. I enjoyed the round and hit all but 2 fairways which doesn’t reflect in the 91 but that was mainly because of my short game. 

I am not advocating this approach just interested in feedback from others you have given this ago or those that might be willing to take up the challenge. See what they score in comparison to normal.

cheers

Is that you, Tin Cup?

10 hours ago, Vinsk said:

Glad you enjoyed it. I’ve never done that but my driver is my most reliable club (can’t shank it). But I can’t get myself to use the course for stuff like that. If I’m playing that day, I’m playing. If my driving is off...so be it. I’m gonna keep trying every tee shot. If I’m playing well I’d be interested in seeing how I’d score with a 7i (I don’t have a particular iron I hit better). If my virus is active...well....I’d be lucky to break 100.

You just jinxed yourself my friend!

Thanks for posting @Mike74. I've done rounds with just a few clubs but haven't tried this. 

Hell. Right now I'd probably be better off hitting my PW off the tee instead the bloody 1W.

I guess I always figure that trying to work through it is the way to go.

13 hours ago, Mike74 said:

Hi

cheers

I’ve done this, and really enjoyed it too. No bags to carry, and I used the 7i as a walking stick. Felt unencumbered.

I should do this, but because i´m struggling with mid and long irons and my home course is a bit short so i hit wedges all day. 

Hi gents thanks for the replies. Just to clear up one thing. I did use all my clubs shorter than the seven iron so not the full tin cup experience.

I do pull clubs from time to time based on the course.  Earlier in my life I pulled ALL of my woods (they were persimmons as well as my 3 and 4 irons until I could feel good with the other clubs.  Almost a year before I put them back.  It was done for confidence, rather than score, as the over all score did not really change over that year.