IGNORED

Has anyone ever quit for 6 months to a year to "start over?"

tjhowarth
Note: This thread is 2036 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am thinking about quitting golf for 6 months or more.  I'm hoping that I can "start over again."  I have been playing for 15+ years, I have (2) aces, and lots of rounds in the low 80's on decent courses.  Over the last few years I have taken a fair amount of lessons and practiced using video, etc., and I have gradually gotten worse.  I am constantly changing parts of my swing.  I am now so paralyzed over a golf ball with swing thoughts, etc., it has become too much for me.  I can execute swings changes while at the range, but now on course (mainly off the tee) I have become erratic.  It is no longer fun.  Will stepping away from the game help me?

I would, and have done it. Not for the same reasons though. It sounds frustrating to you at the moment. Not a big deal, but don’t expect bad habits to magically stop without effort when you pick it up again.

Edited by Lihu
Typo

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Oh yeah, I've done it, and in the process of evaluating doing it again. The last time I stepped away from the game, I think I overdid it a little. Ended up 2 years away before a friend said that we needed to play again. Funny thing, I didn't miss it in those 2 years, but going out and starting to practice again, and then playing, and getting bit by the golf bug,

Unfortunately, after coming back to the game, moving to a golf course community, playing almost everyday, my game is starting to suck again. Normally a 10 handicap, I'm trending to a 16 right now, with shooting a 90 today. I've watched YouTube videos, taken lessons from our club Pro, reread my Ben Hogan, and Inner Game of Golf books, and I just keep getting worse. I just need an attitude adjustment time period to set my head straight.

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 9.5o - 3 wood: Callaway Mavrik 15o - 3 Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 18o - Irons: Callaway Mavrik 4-PW, AW, GW, SW - Putter: TaylorMade T.P.A. X - Ball: Callaway SuperSoft - GPS: Garmin S20 GPS watch - Rangefinder: Bushnell Yardage Pro

I've taken time off due to injury and/or surgery.  And I will often stay home if shooting the temperature would make for a disappointing outing.  As far as taking time off to clear the cache...I don't think the length of said time matters.  What does matter is whether or not the person who needs a break actually takes one.  Otherwise, despite best intentions, it's right back in the same saddle.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

tj     yes do step away from golf........but not the course. What I mean is play my game for a spell. In the late afternoon 4 or 5 I'll drop 6 or 8 balls on the first tee and do everything in my power to put my practice swing on the ball. It's a mental thing, but if you are not worried about score then it's doable. When done go police up the balls and head to the next tee. Keep an eye open for folks and wave them through,(hunt for lost balls while their passing) I have 9..... 5gal buckets full. It's takes a bit to get your mind out of play, but when you do your awareness is indescribable.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, tjhowarth said:

will stepping away from the game help me?

It may have helped me. About 6 to 8 years ago I had my daughter film me at the driving range. It was to be a birthday present for me so it was mid June. It took her a couple of weeks to edit and she then gave me a CD will lots of video. I had never seen a video of my swing. I had been playing golf since the age of 16. Had a few 39's over the years, but like you a good round would be low 80's. 

Well I took a brief look at the video and was absolutely horrified by what I saw and I vowed never to play the game again. I had my usual offers to play golf and I would resolutely announce that I had given up the game and had no shame in telling others why. I would say that "I could not believe I was doing that (swing) in public". I suppose that I felt I had a much better swing. Ever hear your recorded voice? That is an eye opener as well or maybe an ear opener. I did not play again that summer and fall even though that is when all of the outings with scramble/shotgun starts happen.

Through the cold Ohio winter and into the wet spring I developed a change of heart. I decided to play again, but I told my self that If I did not break 80 in three years that I would get rid of my clubs and quit the game for good. Well, I broke 80 later that season and have been doing it regularly ever since. My swing is better and I even got a couple of compliments on it recently.

Take some time off.

• Like 1

I had a wrist injury that kept me out for about 2 months. Not as long as what you are saying but it was refreshing.

I had a mini one this year for about 2 weeks. I felt hurt, and it was obvious to me because overnight my shot shape changed to a bad push slice. Took 2 weeks off until I felt healthy and it cured the slice.

Edited by cutchemist42

I was forced to quit for almost 3 years due to injuries. I came back with a much stronger game than expected, but no where close to my original game. Obviously this is not the same thing as the OP's issue. Actually I just recently stopped playing for a while, a few weeks, while continuing to practice daily.

When I had my "A game", there were times I took a needed vacation from golf. Sometimes a week was long enough, other times a couple of months was what worked. 

At no point, did I think of changing any part of swing. I knew I had a good swing, and why try and fix something that wasn't broke.  I had just grown "golf" fatigued, which allowed evil things to invade my swing. 

When I came back off my vacation from golf, although I was a bit rusty, my good swing was still there, and I was a happy golfer again. 

Personally, I think amateur golfers with decent games, screw themselves up with unsupervised swing tinkering on their own. If the golfer has a good swing, with decent scores, they should just go with what they have, and enjoy their game. This, if they are not able to recieve quality, professional swing instruction on a regular, monthly basis. 

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

2 hours ago, Carl3 said:

Well I took a brief look at the video and was absolutely horrified by what I saw and I vowed never to play the game again.

Yeah, we’re gonna need to see that video... 😉

• Like 1

- John

Forced to stop for health reasons for almost 2 decades. The equipment I had at the time was now considered vintage.  In a way it was a great blessing (except for building a new set of weapons).  Because I had to also rebuild all other physical aspects of the game, I think I came back more open in my game.  My recall of the game allowed me to focus well on my stroke without simply repeating the flaws I had in the early 80s.  A sabbatical, forced or not, will be good for anyone's game.

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

57 minutes ago, Hardspoon said:

Yeah, we’re gonna need to see that video

Ever see a person get tasered? Now imagine them holding a golf club...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Had to take 8 months off in 2017 for work

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

7 hours ago, Carl3 said:

Stop teasing us and post it! 

33 minutes ago, Aguirre said:

I mean, I live in Pittsburgh. So I take damn close to six months off every year.

This is what I was going to say. I feel like I am starting over every year. Last year after I had surgery on Oct 2nd,  I didn't touch a club until April. What a mess. 

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Why not stick to one instructor's advice and spend time at the range with video, training aids or other feedback until your confidence returns? When you play, don't keep score until your swing is ready.

• Like 1

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

54 minutes ago, Mr. Desmond said:

Why not stick to one instructor's advice and spend time at the range with video, training aids or other feedback until your confidence returns? When you play, don't keep score until your swing is ready.

Good advice. I've spent more time at the range this year than playing, partly due to rebuilding my swing and partly due to family comitments. I'm starting to understand the swing more and when i play i do just that, i just play a game of golf, no pressure no target score just aim to have fun.

There have been times i've thought about voluntarily quitting/stopping golf for an extended period but just cant do it as im addicted to golf, after a week or so i have to get my fix any way i can :-D

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

13 hours ago, Carl3 said:

Before seeing myself on video for the first time, I never imagined I'd look as awkward as I tend to feel. The motion pictures proved me wrong.

Note: This thread is 2036 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!