famousdavis

My Last Club Championship Win

6 posts / 646 viewsLast Reply

I was amazed at the crowds yesterday and how they swarmed the green as Tiger strode up to his ball.  It reminded me of my last club championship.  We had a gallery of almost 60 members watching myself and Sherman Anderson duel it out over 36 holes.  Of course we were the final match and the entire country club was thrilled.  I'm a fairly popular member of my club.  I've won the club championship 3 times and I'm the best player at the club.  It's a member-owned club and that makes all the difference.  I've served on the board.  The club champions dinner is a sight to behold and I always give a great speech.  

I remember winning that last match and how all the members were jumping up and down and then waiting to shake my hand.  I'll never forget that day.  I now have the coveted club champion's parking spot, name on the trophy for the third time and everyone at the club calls me "Champ".  

Well I'm off to the club to get some range time in and then have dinner.  Might play some gin afterward with the gents.  Usually my good friend Bart and I sip a Mint Julep before I head home.  

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

17 hours ago, lastings said:

cool. 

Thanks.  I know I'm lucky.  I've belonged to country clubs since I was a young lad.  We'd play 18 holes, go to the snack shack and we'd put the burger and fries on my parents club number.  Then we'd go play another 18.  That's how I became a champion. 

18 minutes ago, famousdavis said:

Thanks.  I know I'm lucky.  I've belonged to country clubs since I was a young lad.  We'd play 18 holes, go to the snack shack and we'd put the burger and fries on my parents club number.  Then we'd go play another 18.  That's how I became a champion. 

cool. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Want to join this community?

We'd love to have you!

• 2018 TST Partners

PING Golf
    FlightScope Mevo
    More to come…
    • I have a slit-sole SW from another model year. If by chance you do, I'm interested!
    • Hi folks, So I wanted to do something a little fun. I've been a golfer on and off now for the last seven years. Three years ago, I had my best season (I started off averaging about 120, and by the end of the season, managed to start breaking 100 on a regular basis). Last year, due to financial limitations, I only played four rounds. This year, I'm going to be out there at least once a week!  So here's what I'm going to do. I'm going to keep this thread going, and after each round at a course, or practice at the range, give everyone who wants to read it, an update with some thoughts, or ramblings about golf in general. So let's get this thing started: DAY 1: It's been close to year since I've been out to the range or a course. The weather was a nice 42 F with little rain, but some winds. I called my favorite little executive course and found out they're opening on Monday should the weather be good enough. I NEED to see if I can even remember how to swing a club. I grab my 7 iron, 4 iron, and driver and hit up the Royal Oak Golf Center.  I get the balls, stretch, and give a few practice swings with my 7 iron. I'm playing the same irons I bought 3 years ago, when I decided I wanted to be a "serious" golfer (whatever that means!). They're these Wilson Reflex Irons Dicks Sporting Goods sold me for about $250. I almost bought a set of Strata's that year, but decided I liked the way the Wilson's looked, and I was vaguely aware of the history of Wilson Staff irons, so it felt like a cool thing to get. They have this mat black polish around the head, with red offsetting the black.  I take five balls and line up for the first swing. It feels really awkward. I'm looking around at all the other golfers who seem to have flawless swings, and I'm nervous because I just know this isn't going to go well. There's this woman three or four lanes away from me and she's obviously just taken up the game, because she keeps topping the shots. Her boyfriend is trying to help her out, but she's just doing her thing. I smile and feel a little better about myself.  I focus on the ball and take my first swing. I top it and it flies like 30 yards down in front of everyone else's lane. It's like that scene in Tin Cup when he's first arriving at the driving range for the US Open and he can't seem to get rid of the shanks. I shank three, maybe ten more.  I step away and look around. Nobody cares, and then I remember I'm all alone. It doesn't matter at all. I need to find my swing, because I really want to start playing again. I line up behind another ball, take a deep breath, and have my first really good swing of the club. I can feel when it's a good swing, because it feels natural, and the ball seems to float up in the air, before landing and taking a bounce. I hit a few more with mixed results. I switch to the 4 iron. The 4 iron I'm hitting really well; 165 yards! I'm not understanding what the difference between why my swing is working with a 4 iron, but is hit or miss with the 7 iron. I switch to the driver (an old Olimar Tri Metal from the 90s), start off with huge slices. Switch back to the 4 iron; no issue. I'm really starting to wonder what's going on. I slow things down, and then make a discovery: right before the club contacts the ball, I'm breaking eye contact with every shot that's not using the 4 iron. With the 4 iron, I'm concentrating so much that I'm allowing myself to access swing mechanics appropriately. I go back to the 7 iron, remember to keep good eye contact, and every single one of the next 15 balls I hit end up at 130 yards and right at the spot I'm aiming. I go to the driver, repeat the same process, and I'm mostly hitting straight and at about 220 yards (still a slice on a few shots here and there, but overall much more consistent and a better feeling).  The end of the practice session was good, but the struggle was real for a while. Finding the swing was really hard because of the lack of practice in the last year or so. I had to constantly remind myself that this is a simple game; it's a simple thing. I think we tend to overthink the game, and the swing, too much. It's also helpful, I think, to remember that at the end of the day, it doesn't really matter all that much, because we're out there to have fun and enjoy life. I went to a few stores afterwards and looked at some nice things (bought some Wilson Staff Duo balls for the season and am looking for a Sunday bag because I want to walk courses not ride) and I'm really looking forward to the season. That first round is going to be a nightmare, but I don't care. I probably won't even keep score!  So, here's the three main takeaways: 1. The swing should feel natural. If it doesn't feel natural, you're doing it wrong.  2. This is a really simple game and it's helpful to remind oneself of that simplicity; keeping calm and cool is better than getting frustrated and upset. I don't think I understood that when I first starting playing. This is meant to be fun, not frustrating.  3. Keep you eye on the ball at all times and do not anticipate the contact between the club and the ball, otherwise you will pull, slice, top, shank, etc. Eye contact will certainly almost always give you a good and consistent result if your swing feels natural. 
    • Trucker, you are good enough to use one. Every shot requires a goal, not that you attain perfection.  If the pin is 5 from the back and long is bad, then my club choice (depending on wind....) would be, if I pured that club, it would just reach the pin.  If you think you are not good enough, chances are high the right mental approach can move you index 5 or more quickly. 
    • The DG you show is a Stiff flex. I don’t think they even make the DG steel in a senior flex. I wouldn’t base it on how it ‘feels.’ Go hit it and get some numbers.
    • Hi Joe, welcome back to TST.
  • TST Blog Entries

• Blog Entries

• Today's Birthdays

1. Antneye
      Antneye
      (51 years old)
    2. CapM
      CapM
      (54 years old)
    3. Cardsfan
      Cardsfan
      (27 years old)
    4. Mr Golf Addict
      Mr Golf Addict
      (15 years old)

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...