IGNORED

Who is on Golf's Mount Rushmore?

iacas
Note: This thread is 1198 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Vinsk said:

Who said it was? 

I didn’t.

And @brocks, don’t assume. The number is four though. You could list the four most influential. The top men’s and women’s amateurs and pros. Whatever four you want.

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 9/26/2018 at 12:55 PM, DaveP043 said:

I'd say Jones, Hogan, Palmer, and Nicklaus.  Tiger will be added as soon as he retires.

Since when do we add to Mount Rushmore?

Other than that, I agree with you!

Edited by David in FL

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

On 9/26/2018 at 12:28 PM, iacas said:

Who is on your Mount Rushmore?

For me it's Snead, Woods, Nicklaus, Hogan. Not in that order. 🙂

That's a good selection. 

I'd swap out Snead for Arnie though.

How could it be anyone but Jones, Palmer, Nicklaus, Woods.  End of story.  Seriously. There can be no argument. 

No one else achieved what they did in golf on the course combined with their impact on the game.

Not even close. 

On 9/26/2018 at 9:55 AM, DaveP043 said:

I'd say Jones, Hogan, Palmer, and Nicklaus.  Tiger will be added as soon as he retires.

I scrolled through the thread to find my answer before duplicating it.  Tiger may be the best, but he’s too new.  I think of the Mt. Rushmore players as historic, iconic, legendary.

I remember reading T. Roosevelt was only added to the real Mt. Rushmore because the designer owed him a favor or something.  So I guess add political to the above list.

On 9/26/2018 at 12:34 PM, nevets88 said:

It's kind of weird watching someone being asked, who's the top 4 greatest ever and no questions asked one of them is himself and he says, well, me, then yada yada yada. I'd find it awkward.

I though it came off pretty well.  At least he named himself last.  It might have been weird if he’d said, “well me of course, umm, let me think, who else...”

On ‎9‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 6:00 PM, mcanadiens said:

Won't claim to be the best historian of golf, but any thought to Harry Vardon?

As I understand it, he was the game's best player at the time when golf was really starting to become popular in the U.S. His visits over here must have given the game quite a boost.

100%

4 hours ago, Zekez said:

How could it be anyone but Jones, Palmer, Nicklaus, Woods.  End of story.  Seriously. There can be no argument. 

No one else achieved what they did in golf on the course combined with their impact on the game.

Not even close. 

Seve

My four would be George Bayer, Cary Middlecoff, Dow Finsterwald, and Hubert Green.

j/k (obviously)

Seriously though, what strikes me are the names you have to leave off to whittle it down to four. Consider the names not on Tiger's list. Palmer, Hogan, Nelson, Watson (Tom), Hagen, Sarazen. If you want to go international, how about Bobby Locke? And for women there are Sorenstam, Mickey Wright, and Nancy Lopez!

All in all I thought Tiger's list was pretty thoughtful.

Tiger, Jack, Hogan, Hagen.

Each was clearly the best of his era.  No Snead, because Hogan was better.  Hagen over Jones because Hagen accomplished more against tougher competition, than Jones.

If we allow a fifth personage  I would pick Vardon, also clearly the best of his era.

On 9/27/2018 at 2:53 PM, brocks said:

It would help if "Mt. Rushmore" weren't so ambiguous.  Theodore Roosevelt wasn't a bad President, but he's not one of the top four, even excluding those who came after him, so I don't see why this list should be the top four candidates for GOAT.  Also, the Mt. Rushmore project was terminated earlier than the originators planned due to lack of funding, so I don't see why it should be limited to four.

Now that the groundwork is thoroughly laid for the coward's way out, I'll name the seven players who IMO have had the most impact on the game: Vardon, Jones, Snead, Hogan, Palmer, Nicklaus, and Woods.

Edit: And just by the way, Snead would not be in my top 4.  The fact that Tiger included him indicates to me that he is very, very desirous of breaking Snead's record.

Little surprised that Hagen didn't make your list given his accomplishments, his record, and the fact that he is the one who got the pros out of the parking lot and into the clubhouse.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

On 9/29/2018 at 10:51 AM, Zekez said:

Not even close. 

You're right.  Drop Hogan from my list, add Jones.

Hogan was a jerk, anyway.

On 9/29/2018 at 8:51 AM, Zekez said:

Not even close. 

The weakest argument of all is that there can be no argument.

• Like 1

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

On 9/29/2018 at 10:51 AM, Zekez said:

Not even close. 

Last I checked, no one made a movie about Palmer, Nicklaus or Woods.
But they did make one about Francis Ouimet & Vardon!

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

1 minute ago, weekend hacker1 said:

Tin Cup up there too then...

Add Roy McAvoy, Ty Webb and maybe Rannulph Junuh to the mountain.
And NO there no room for Happy Gilmore!

• Like 1

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

13 hours ago, Elmer said:

Danny Noonan over Ty Webb seven days a week!

"I'm a veg Danny"

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Tom Morris, Jack Nicklaus, Ben Hogan, Eldrick the executioner. 

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

15 hours ago, Elmer said:

What? No Shivas Irons?

• Like 1

Players play, tough players win!

Note: This thread is 1198 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!