IGNORED

Who is on Golf's Mount Rushmore?

iacas
Note: This thread is 1198 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Nicklaus, Woods, Player, Hogan - all have a career slam.  Not in order but Woods and Nicklaus have TRIPLE slams to put that in perspective.

I could certainly argue Arnie or Bobby Jones instead of Player or Hogan.

Edited by dbuck

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It feels a bit weird not having Ben Hogan on there, but I’m going with Jack, Tiger, Arnie and Bobby Jones. 

I would have preferred we just left it as the Six Grandfathers though 🤔

Constantine

On 1/10/2019 at 10:07 AM, The Recreational Golfer said:

Someone mentioned a female Mt. Rushmore.

Joyce Wethered, Glenna Collett-Vare, Patty Berg, Mickey Wright.

Annika, Annika, Annika, Annika

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

Jones, Hogan, Nicklaus,  Tiger. Tough to leave Arnie off but that's my four. 

BO THE GOLFER

In my Top Flite stand bag:

Driver-Ping G400+ 10.5 degrees regular flex Hybrids-Ping I25 17 & 20 degrees stiff flex Irons-Ping I3 O-size 4 through lob wedge regular flex Putter-Nike Oz 6

If its majors

• Jack Nicklaus, 20 combined wins in pro and amateur majors.
  • Tiger Woods, 17.
  • Bobby Jones, 13.
  • Walter Hagen, 11.
  • John Ball, 9.
  • Ben Hogan, 9.
  • Gary Player, 9.
  • Arnold Palmer, 8.

If its wins

• Billy Casper. PGA Tour wins: 51. Most wins in a year: 6 (1968) ... 
  • Byron Nelson. PGA Tour wins: 52. Most wins in a year: 18 (1945) ... 
  • Arnold Palmer. PGA Tour wins: 62. Most wins in a year: 8 (1960) ... 
  • Ben Hogan. PGA Tour wins: 64. ... 
  • Jack Nicklaus. PGA Tour wins: 73. ... 
  • Tiger Woods. PGA Tour wins: 80. ... 
  • Sam Snead. PGA Tour wins: 82.

Nicklaus, Tiger, Hogan, Snead/Jones

and I don't want to discount the women-just not as up on the greats:

Kathy Whitworth 88 and 6 majors

Mickey Wright 82 and 13

Annika Sorenstam 72 and 10

Louise Suggs 61 and 11

Wikipedia can't be wrong

and they have all done so much for golf

• Administrator

@uitar9, not all wins or majors are created equally.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

4631AA6E-4916-43C4-8BAA-8503CE707BA8.gif.ea22ebad374596f7ffcfa9baeff8680b.gif

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

there should be several tiers to this Rushmore Hall of Fame...

but at the peak:  Arnie, Jack, Tiger & Ben

because you're asking who's synonymous with golf; 

like who do you think of when golf is mentioned...

not who has the most majors or wins...(those are different evaluations)

Bobby, Arnie, Jack and Tiger.

Impact on the game carries a lot of weight for me, hence the reason Palmer is on mine despite several players winning more majors.

• 2 weeks later...

Jack, Tiger, Arnie and Ben.  My first of the mountain would be Jones.

WITB:  088539C8-1A10-4551-9AC5-9770625CCBB0.png.328b5e9003a7a51f646d356f617dff83.png M5 10.5 degree with GraphiteDesign Tour AD IZ shaft,  M2 3-Wood, 3-hybrid and 5-hybrid,  P790 6I-PW, 52 and 58 degree Vokey wedges  and 64 degree 088539C8-1A10-4551-9AC5-9770625CCBB0.png.328b5e9003a7a51f646d356f617dff83.png Hi-Toe wedge and Tour Spider putter.  088539C8-1A10-4551-9AC5-9770625CCBB0.png.328b5e9003a7a51f646d356f617dff83.png TP5X or Callaway Chrome Soft X balls.  Golf Pride MCC Plus 4 Align grips.

Tiger is the best player ever. Jack has the most major championships. Those are my 2 and I see 99% agree on this thread. It's a bit muddy from there we have Snead, Palmer, Jones, Hogan - there's quite a history. Hogan only played 3 majors after his accident; Jones only played once a week. Those were different times altogether so we can't really measure their ability but their impact. 

Tiger is the easiest to put up there based on his ability, results and impact altogether. Anyone thinking of leaving him off should go to their local library and get fitted with a set of 14 history and sociology books.

Hard to really capture the history of the sport with four names. If I had to pick, it'd be: 

Bobby Jones - The most dominate player of his generation; perhaps the greatest to ever play the game. Still relevant on tour today with the Masters, the brand that carries his name, and the Scholarship partnership between Emory and St. Andrews. 

Arnold Palmer - He made the open relevant again. American's were simply not traveling to the UK to play in Golf's oldest, and most important championship (with the exception of Snead & Hogan, no American won the tournament from 1934 - 1960). Palmer brought glamour and style to the game, and looked better in a polo than anyone since. 

Gary Player - I'm surprised to see his name missing from so many lists. Player was one of the most dominate golfers of his generation, and has basically served as a global ambassador to the game. He won 9 Majors (including the Career Slam), and has been a force in course design. 

The last name is tricky. We could put Ben Hogan, Tiger Woods, Jack Nicklaus, or any other number of greats on the list here. But I want to really go back to one of the most important, historic figures of the game: 

Donald Ross - Practically invented American course design; Oakland Hills, Pinehurst #2, East Lake, Scioto, etc. Anyone who has gotten the privilege to play one of his courses can't help but fall in love with him; I've played two (perhaps three; there's some debate as to whether or not he designed River Rouge in Detroit as no records were kept, but the course has a familiar Ross layout). 

Another way of looking at this question would be to think about the four greatest courses, from design perspective, and have them represent golf. For me, those four courses would be Royal Dornoch, St. Andrews, Pinehurst #2, and Pebble Beach. 

• Like 2

Pretty easy to go w/Tiger, Jack, Arnie.

Then it gets tougher.  Bobby?  Hogan? 

I think one of those 2 gets next billing but not entirely sure which.  Lean towards Hogan as he got even more  publicity. And played for a living.  And built a club company.  

But Bobby was more lovable.

Note: This thread is 1198 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!