IGNORED

Anything Else I should have in my golf bag?

Note: This thread is 2010 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am coming back to golf after a nearly 9 year hiatus. I've been working with a local pro on my swing and he suggested I get fitted for proper clubs and replace all my standard clubs for properly fitted ones. I did and now I'm wondering if I have all I really need. Mind you I am not trying to make it on the PGA tour or become a scratch golfer, I'd be happy to break 90 some day. So here is what I have, I think this is fine for an amateur golfer playing about once a week. Thoughts?

Driver and 3-wood M2 by Taylormade

Irons 4 through PW also Taylormade

SW at 56 degree and Gap Wedge at 52 deree by Acer

Putter Tour Edge HP

Scott 

Scott

Blueliner67

In my Bag: Lots of golf clubs and stuff!

Your setup looks good to me. I think you have what you need. As you begin to play more and dial in your distances with your new clubs, you may find that you have a large gap between your 3W and 4i. If so, you can always try to fill that gap with a hybrid or 5W.

Also, it's not uncommon to carry a 60* wedge. 

• Thumbs Up 1

-Jimmy

:nike: VR_S Covert 2.0 Driver, 3W
:pxg: 0311 X (3), 0311 XF (4-6), 0311 (7-PW, 52/56/60)
:titleist: 2016 Scotty Cameron Newport Select Putter

"That tiger ain't go crazy; that tiger went tiger!" - Chris Rock

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

14 hours ago, Blueliner67 said:

What model of irons did he fit you with and what shafts? What shafts on Dr and 3W? Like Jim, I would at some point look at getting a hybrid or two for your longer par 3's and approach shots. You probably have a decent gap between 3W and 4i. 

7 hours ago, Carl3 said:

What model of irons did he fit you with and what shafts? What shafts on Dr and 3W? Like Jim, I would at some point look at getting a hybrid or two for your longer par 3's and approach shots. You probably have a decent gap between 3W and 4i. 

They are Burner Irons, all my shafts are graphite with senior flex. I thought about a hybrid, but I just don't hit them that well. Maybe a 5W might be better, I just don't know yet.

Scott

Scott

Blueliner67

I think there is a gap between 3W and 4I. 5W would fill it. I've got that in my bag today, but I go back and forth between hybrids and woods at this gap. I struggle with consistency with either.

2 hours ago, Blueliner67 said:

Burner Irons

Taylormade Burner irons are 2010 vintage and have a Matlby Playability Factor (MPF) of 330 (conventional). I have an 8 index and play a game improvement iron with a MPF of 536 I think. The higher the number the easier to hit. Not sure why they would fit you with something not super or ultra game improvement especially when they have you in senior flex. Could it be the AeroBurner? That is game improvement, but not super or ultra.

1 hour ago, Carl3 said:

Taylormade Burner irons are 2010 vintage and have a Matlby Playability Factor (MPF) of 330 (conventional). I have an 8 index and play a game improvement iron with a MPF of 536 I think. The higher the number the easier to hit. Not sure why they would fit you with something not super or ultra game improvement especially when they have you in senior flex. Could it be the AeroBurner? That is game improvement, but not super or ultra.

I don't have lots of money and a thousand dollars for big time irons. I bought my driver and 3W used and the irons are game improvement. 

Scott

Scott

Blueliner67

16 minutes ago, Blueliner67 said:

I bought my driver and 3W used and the irons are game improvement.

That's cool. I was under the impression that the PGA pro suggested that you get fitted and that you went ahead with this. I just thought that this was a poor fitting with your index. Also, most people find hitting hybrids are easier that 3 and 4 irons. 5i is my longest iron. Not sure the irons you have are the most forgiving. There are lots of used clubs out there that could give you more enjoyment than the ones you have according to what I am seeing. Take a look at the Maltby Playability. 

10 minutes ago, Carl3 said:

That's cool. I was under the impression that the PGA pro suggested that you get fitted and that you went ahead with this. I just thought that this was a poor fitting with your index. Also, most people find hitting hybrids are easier that 3 and 4 irons. 5i is my longest iron. Not sure the irons you have are the most forgiving. There are lots of used clubs out there that could give you more enjoyment than the ones you have according to what I am seeing. Take a look at the Maltby Playability. 

I was fitted for the right length of clubs, lie, flex and grip size. I just used that to get a 2nd hand set of clubs that met all the fittings he gave me, irons and driver. 

Scott

Blueliner67

After a 9 year lay off, if fitted properly, I am thinking what you have is good enough for now. They will get you going again. 

As you progress with those clubs, you may see a need to add, or even drop a club. 

Put some yardages on what you have. Maybe keep some copius notes on your rounds played. History is always the best teacher. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

19 hours ago, Patch said:

After a 9 year lay off, if fitted properly, I am thinking what you have is good enough for now. They will get you going again. 

As you progress with those clubs, you may see a need to add, or even drop a club. 

Put some yardages on what you have. Maybe keep some copius notes on your rounds played. History is always the best teacher. 

What gives better indication of real distances, outdoor range or indoor simulator?

Scott

Scott

Blueliner67

1 hour ago, Blueliner67 said:

What gives better indication of real distances, outdoor range or indoor simulator?

During practice, I have access to an indoor GC2 simulator and it has given me very accurate carry distance compared to the distances I'm seeing when I play on the course. 

On course I use Game Golf Live. This tells me my total distance (carry + roll) and find it to be pretty accurate as well. This correlates well to what I see on the GC2 after taking roll into account. These are on sale for about $99. I recommend Costco as their package comes with a second set of tags. But this is for on the course and won't help you on the range.

I also have a laser range finder which works well both on course and at the range. When on the range, just shoot various targets for distance and go from there. This also correlates to what I see on the GC2.

All 3 of these are well within the accuracy needed for my game at a 20 index. I wouldn't trust markers at the range. They may or may not be accurate. My local range can be off by about 10 yards depending on which bay I'm hitting from.

This assumes you are not using flight limited range balls.

-Jimmy

:nike: VR_S Covert 2.0 Driver, 3W
:pxg: 0311 X (3), 0311 XF (4-6), 0311 (7-PW, 52/56/60)
:titleist: 2016 Scotty Cameron Newport Select Putter

"That tiger ain't go crazy; that tiger went tiger!" - Chris Rock

On 9/28/2018 at 4:22 PM, Blueliner67 said:

I am coming back to golf after a nearly 9 year hiatus. I've been working with a local pro on my swing and he suggested I get fitted for proper clubs and replace all my standard clubs for properly fitted ones. I did and now I'm wondering if I have all I really need. Mind you I am not trying to make it on the PGA tour or become a scratch golfer, I'd be happy to break 90 some day. So here is what I have, I think this is fine for an amateur golfer playing about once a week. Thoughts?

Driver and 3-wood M2 by Taylormade

SW at 56 degree and Gap Wedge at 52 deree by Acer

Putter Tour Edge HP

Scott 

Looks great. Hybrid might be nice.

5W depending upon how far you hit might be good too.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

On 10/2/2018 at 10:00 AM, Lihu said:

Looks great. Hybrid might be nice.

5W depending upon how far you hit might be good too.

I agree, since I'm kinda old fashioned, I went with the Taylormade M2 5W. Not to fond of the hybrids, maybe just the old saying about not teaching old dogs new tricks or something.

Scott

Blueliner67

On 9/29/2018 at 3:40 PM, Blueliner67 said:

They are Burner Irons, all my shafts are graphite with senior flex. I thought about a hybrid, but I just don't hit them that well. Maybe a 5W might be better, I just don't know yet.

Scott

Senior flex - typically, it's tough for those with senior flex to get enough height/carry with a 3 wd unless it's use is as a second driver. I'd look at a 5 wd, forget the 4i, get a high launching 4H. BUT start playing and see how the bag works - if the 4 and 5i are not getting enough height and consistency, consider hybrids or even a 7 or 9 wd. As to the LW, depends on your short game, wedge fitting and technique. Most ams play too little bounce in their wedges - get fit after more work on the swing. Good luck!

Edited by Mr. Desmond
  • Like 1

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

On 10/1/2018 at 5:27 PM, Blueliner67 said:

On 10/1/2018 at 7:19 PM, jimnm said:

This assumes you are not using flight limited range balls.

I wouldn’t trust range ball distances, even if they’re not listed as limited flight.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/gd-tested-range-balls

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

Note: This thread is 2010 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!