IGNORED

Spectator loses eyesight at Ryder Cup

RussUK
Note: This thread is 2002 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

43 minutes ago, JonMA1 said:

This thread was started by a European member of the site who brought up the possibility of a lawsuit in the op.

It possibly makes sense to sue the event or governing parties only because it might be required in order to collect on an insurance claim?

All but one of the Americans are clearly innocent!

Not trying to nitpick, but many British (half at least) don’t seem to consider themselves European 🤪

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

20 minutes ago, Lihu said:

many British (half at least) don’t seem to consider themselves European 🤪

that is SOOOOOO typical

😛

Bill - 

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, JonMA1 said:

The main point of my post @Lihu was that where any of us live seems off-topic.

It is.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• Administrator

From elsewhere:

I just watched a video posted on twitter from Sky Sports where it showed the wayward drive by Koepka and him not only pointing left, but also screaming, "FORE LEFT!!!" multiple times, along with several other players yelling the same thing.

So the earlier posts that said maybe Koepka didn't yell, and all they did was point, were likely wrong.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On ‎10‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 5:39 PM, iacas said:

Nice straw man on the “not being safely secured in accordance with health and safety regs” bit.

What can i say, i'm British, we are the best in the world at ruining stuff with health & safety ;-)

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

On ‎10‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 12:11 AM, iacas said:

So the earlier posts that said maybe Koepka didn't yell, and all they did was point, were likely wrong.

Correct, according to the most recent reports that have come from speaking to the officials they have said that numerous shours of fore were indeed yelled, however they do understand that by the time they have yelled the ball is pretty much already on a collision course with the crowd.

The more info that comes out the more the overall picture changes. The lady was an active golfer who traveled from Egypt to see the RC so would have been well aware of the risk so would/should have known what to do is she heard the call. Still a nasty accident and Koepka said he felt awful when he found out and contacted her and her family.

Now you have Tyrrell Hatton hitting a lady on the head at the Dunhill Links. Left her with a right bump and stiches but she was ok and was beaming after getting a big hug off Tyrrell, kudos to him as great to golfers exhibit that human touch.

If i ever go to a pro tournament i think i'll wear a full face crash helmet.....just in case :-)

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

8 minutes ago, RussUK said:

If i ever go to a pro tournament i think i'll wear a full face crash helmet.....just in case :-)

Thats probably against Health & Safely, can't be letting in folk obscuring their face.

(edited)
11 minutes ago, Moxley said:

Thats probably against Health & Safely, can't be letting in folk obscuring their face.

haha, like it. And, knowing us Brits, probably very true. I mean we are from the country that allowed school kids to play conkers as long as they wore safety glasses/goggles.

Back to the drawing board it is then :roll:

On a serious note i think covering the face with a helmet would contravine terrorism laws as well as H&S (unless it has a full face lift up).

Edited by RussUK

• Administrator
3 hours ago, RussUK said:

Correct, according to the most recent reports that have come from speaking to the officials they have said that numerous shours of fore were indeed yelled, however they do understand that by the time they have yelled the ball is pretty much already on a collision course with the crowd.

She had plenty of time to cover herself. The math was done up above regarding running. You need less time to cover up.

4 hours ago, RussUK said:

however they do understand that by the time they have yelled the ball is pretty much already on a collision course with the crowd.

Incorrect perception. By the time "Fore" is yelled, the person has about 5-5.5 seconds to get out of the way. Heck, I've been out golfing were you hear fore and it takes a good bit of time to hear the thump as the ball hits the ground. The ball stays in the air longer for PGA Tour players because they hit it faster and higher. They get more hang time.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Not likely anyone would have heard the shouts of "fore" in that crowd.

Better to pay attention (visually) and avoid areas left/right of the target areas (throw in +/- 50 yd cushion, too). Or stand behind something, like a tree or a fat person.  And this is particularly applicable when the American Ryder Cup team is teeing off.

Edited by 3jacker

Looks like Tyrell Hatton dotted a spectator pretty good.  The more instances like this that make the news the more pressure golf will be put under to address spectator safety. 

2 minutes ago, CaseyD said:

Looks like Tyrell Hatton dotted a spectator pretty good.  The more instances like this that make the news the more pressure golf will be put under to address spectator safety. 

Maybe the more this happens, the more aware the spectators will be and do the smart thing and duck and cover.   "Golf" doesn't need to address spectator safety, it is stated on the ticket to be cautious and aware.   If somebody doesn't follow the rules, it's not "golf's" responsibility.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Note: This thread is 2002 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!