IGNORED

Yelling "FORE!" - When Do You, and How Do You React?

iacas
Note:Β This thread is 1838 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

Yelling FORE!  

75 members have voted

1. 1. When someone yells "fore," and they can see you, what do you do?

• Cover my head and duck in place
    • Cover my head and run to another place
    • Something else
  2. 2. When someone yells "fore," and they can't see you, what do you do?

• Cover my head and duck in place
    • Cover my head and run to another place
    • Something else
  3. 3. Which best describes when you yell "fore"?

• I yell when I think there's a good chance people will be hit or I can't see if there are people in the area.
    • I always yell "fore" regardless.

As for running β€œif they can see you”...

Β At 250 yards, it takes less than 10Β seconds for the golf ball to travel that distance.

By the time the golfer reacts, yells, and you react, you probably have less than 5Β secondsΒ before the ball arrives. Β 

I know I’m old and slow, but I can’t get very far in 5Β seconds. Β It’s also worthwhile to realize that they are likely to be yelling, no make that I HOPEΒ that they are yelling, even though the ball may beΒ actually 20 or 30 yards off to one side just as a precaution.

Running can still put meΒ directly into the flight of a ball that would’ve otherwise missed me.

Hence, for me, duck and cover regardless.

Β 

Β 

Β 

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;Β  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;Β  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's; Β 56-14 F grind andΒ 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty CameronΒ Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
1 hour ago, David in FL said:

Running can still put meΒ directly into the flight of a ball that would’ve otherwise missed me.

It can, but I've heard others argue that running decreases the chances. Someone yells "fore" because they think the ball might to hit you, so running puts you into a lower probability area. Something like that. I don't know…

Look at the poll results.Β It's 24-6 right now in favor of people, when they can see you, yelling only if the ball has a good chance of hitting you (or if they can't see you, but that's consumed by the "I always yell fore" option).

Thus any running you'd do would be into an area where being hit would beΒ lessΒ likely. If they are yelling and they can see you, they believe there's a good chance of being hit.

You're near the middle of aΒ bell curve of probability of being hit. Running in any direction leads to lower odds.

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

I do nothing, I stand there and take it like a man!

Spoiler

Okay maybe not, I actually cover up, scream like a little girl and run off. I have been hit a few times by golf balls and it f#cking hurts, a lot!Β 

Β 

DannyΒ  Β  In my :ping:Β Hoofer Tour golf bag on myΒ :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:Β Β Β :pxg:Β 0311 Gen 5Β  X-Stiff.Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β Β Irons:Β Β :callaway:Β 4-PW APEX TCB IronsΒ 
3Β Wood:Β :callaway:Β MavrikΒ SZ RogueΒ X-StiffΒ  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter:Β :odyssey:Β Β 2-Ball Ten Arm LockΒ  Β  Β  Β Β Ball:Β :titleist: ProV 1

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

43 minutes ago, NM Golf said:

I do nothing, I stand there and take it like a man!

Β  Reveal hidden contents

Okay maybe not, I actually cover up, scream like a little girl and run off. I have been hit a few times by golf balls and it f#cking hurts, a lot!Β 

Β 

This was the best comment in TSTΒ history until you click on the arrow.Β 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Vinsk said:

I just cover my head. Anywhere else I'm hit I'll be fine.

Totally agree.Β  If a golf ball hits you anywhere other than your head it might hurt but unlikely to do any real damage.Β  Concussion, lose eyeΒ or teeth, or even death is a possibility if a ball hits your head in the wrong spot.Β  Not sure medically, but I believe that all or the wrong spots are on the face side of the head, but I could be wrong.

20 minutes ago, iacas said:

It can, but I've heard others argue that running decreases the chances. Someone yells "fore" because they think the ball might to hit you, so running puts you into a lower probability area. Something like that. I don't know…

Look at the poll results.Β It's 24-6 right now in favor of people, when they can see you, yelling only if the ball has a good chance of hitting you (or if they can't see you, but that's consumed by the "I always yell fore" option).

Thus any running you'd do would be into an area where being hit would beΒ lessΒ likely. If they are yelling and they can see you, they believe there's a good chance of being hit.

You're near the middle of aΒ bell curve of probability of being hit. Running in any direction leads to lower odds.

Maybe, if IΒ could actually get out of the same general area. Β But in a few seconds, I’m effectivelyΒ still within that same area....and running, not ducking. Β Hell, I suspect more people are likely to be injured trying to blindly, quickly, run out of β€œthe way”,Β thanΒ they are by being struck by the golf ball.

Β Regardless though, Β While it certainly happens to people on rare occasion, getting hit isn't something that I’m terribly concerned about.

Β 

Edited by David in FL
  • Like 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;Β  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;Β  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's; Β 56-14 F grind andΒ 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty CameronΒ Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

• Administrator
32 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Maybe, if IΒ could actually get out of the same general area. Β But in a few seconds, I’m effectivelyΒ still within that same area....and running, not ducking.

You can get 15-25 yards away.

If my golf ball is definitely going to miss someone by 20 or 30 yards, I often won't yell, lest they run into it.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

Average PGA Tour hang time is 6.3 seconds.
The speed of sound is 1125 ft/sec or 375 yards per second.
The average human reaction time is .17 seconds for audible sound.

Let's say the golfer hits a ball wide. They recognize the ball is heading towards the fans. Let's say .5 seconds have passed and they yell fore. Lets say the person is 290 yards away. So the sound would take .77 seconds to reach to crowd.

That means, the crowd has aboutΒ 5 seconds to move away. Even if they walk, they would be 22.5 FT away, or 7 yards. If they sprint, they could easily triple that amount.

Β 

• Informative 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
Β fasdfaΒ dfdsafΒ 

What's in My Bag
Driver;Β :pxg:Β 0311 Gen 5,Β  3-Wood:Β 
:titleist:Β 917h3 ,Β  Hybrid:Β  :titleist:Β 915 2-Hybrid,Β  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel:Β (52, 56, 60),Β  Putter: :edel:,Β  Ball: :snell:Β MTB,Β Β Shoe: :true_linkswear:,Β  Rangfinder:Β :leupold:
Bag:Β :ping:

2 hours ago, gbogey said:

Totally agree.Β  If a golf ball hits you anywhere other than your head it might hurt but unlikely to do any real damage.Β  Concussion, lose eyeΒ or teeth, or even death is a possibility if a ball hits your head in the wrong spot.Β  Not sure medically, but I believe that all or the wrong spots are on the face side of the head, but I could be wrong.

Tell that to Judge Smails.

judge-smails-gif-3.gif

Scott

Titleist, Edel,Β Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

2 hours ago, David in FL said:

Maybe, if IΒ could actually get out of the same general area. Β But in a few seconds, I’m effectivelyΒ still within that same area....and running, not ducking. Β Hell, I suspect more people are likely to be injured trying to blindly, quickly, run out of β€œthe way”,Β thanΒ they are by being struck by the golf ball.

Β Regardless though, Β While it certainly happens to people on rare occasion, getting hit isn't something that I’m terribly concerned about.

Β 

I’m with @David in FLΒ Β 

I yell fore if it's flying towards someone or it goes to a blind area.Β  The fear is hitting someone on the fly or on a fast bounce.Β  A ball that just rolls into my group is not a big deal unless one is an asshole/hothead - but it's courtesy to yell anyway since you have no idea how that person will handle it.

If I hear "fore", I'll cover my head.Β  If I'm near the edges I might casually step behing a tree or object if one is pretty near - almost always my cart.Β  (else, I just grab my ball retriever and hold it up like a very narrow shield.....of course, it's on the cart, so maybe I'm just hiding behind the cart admiring my beautiful ball retriever)

((If I hit a beautiful shot and it is likely to roll gently up to those guys on the green 300 yards away, I'll yell 'fore' also - not for safety, I just like people to smile and say nice shot - this rarely happens.))Β  For me, a "fore" is almost never hitting into the group in front of me - my distances are pretty consistent, rather it's a terrible shot that might shank off to another fairway or something that terrible - not so consistent.

My last call of "fore" however was the guy in front of me.Β  Blind walk to my drive on a Par 5.Β  I get to my ball and the person in front of me is nowhere to be seen.Β  He was super slow, so I actually drove up a bit to check, and he was not in sight - nor was his cart.Β  I waited a bit longer (slow day and I was happy to laze about on an empty course)....nothing.Β  I hit my layup - while the ball was in the air - the cart comes flying out and across - I was nowhere close, but fly right over him.Β  We laughed about it and played the next few holes together - super nice guy, but he was spending a lot of time in the trees that day though.

Edited by rehmwa

Bill -Β 

I cover myΒ head and duck. If itΒ΄s closeΒ I take cover with my push cart or carry bag.
If iΒ΄m on the green i quickly run to theΒ hole and stand still there, they all try but theyΒ never hit the flag :-PΒ 

I only scream "Fore" if theres a chance my ball hit someone, either the ball is turning to someones position or i hit it over some trees and i donΒ΄t know if someone is there.

A year ago i hit a hook on the 9th hole at my home course. Because of some trees i loose it in the air.
Unfortunately aΒ friend playingΒ from the 18th hole (runs paralelΒ on the left of theΒ 9thΒ hole) missed hit tee shot rigth into our side of the trees. I never saw him.. and my ball hit directly in his back airbornΒ 230 yards away from me.Β 

HeΒ lost concience for a few secondΒ while laying on the ground. Fortunately he is a big guy and justΒ leave the course withΒ some bruses. Nevertheless i run that 200 metters with my hartΒ in my mouth. Worst feeling ever.Β I still have aΒ bit of guilty because i didnΒ΄t shoult fore. ThatΒ΄s way now i always scream "Fore" if i canΒ΄t see where the ball is landing.Β Β Β Β 

Β 

A friend was playing one day when his partner gets hit by a ball, knocksΒ him out cold.Β  He looks around and can't figure out where the ball came from - they appear to be totally alone on the course.Β  So he takes off with the cart (this was pre cell phones) to find help.Β  While he's gone, his buddy wakes up, lying on the ground totally alone in the middle of the golf course without a sole or golf cart in sight!Β  He said once it turned out his buddy wasn't seriously hurt, it was a funny incident.Β 

18 hours ago, Patch said:

I voted with the masses.Β 

Same here. Β Here is a twist on the topic, and perhaps should be a thread all its own....Β 

When in a group with others, and a person in your group hits an errant ball,Β do you yell "fore" if you think somebody is in harm's way immediately or wait for the person who hit the ball?

If I think they might be hit, I yell no matter who hit the ball. Β 

In my bag: All Lefty clubs
Goldsmith driver I built 10 degree reg flex, Orlimar 14 degree 3 wood, 7 wood
Cobra Oversize 3 and 4 iron; Gigagolf Ion Control 5 iron through PW firm flex and 1 inch over with 3 degrees upright
Golfsmith SW that I built, steel shaft reg flex,Β Cleveland Tour Action Raw 60 with dynamic golf stiff
Scotty Cameron Teryllium Newport putter

Β 
Β 

The closest calls I've had are greenside where someone skulled or shanked from the sand/rough. Either they didn't see me or by the time fore is yelled, it's too late. Once a bag took the hit for me. Thanks, bag.Β 

I also keep my eyes peeled for inexperienced players who don't see the potential off the tree richocets. Fore is usually too late in these instances.Β 

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Years ago, a buddy of mine nailed the company president/owner right between the shoulder blades when he turned on a drive and skulled it hard left. It was at a company outing and the friend of mine was well lubricated if you know what I mean. We all saw it heading right for the guy and none of us said a word, we all just gaped and stared. Nailed him from about 40 yards away... dropped the guy to his knees.Β 

Β 

Should have said "fore" but it all happened too quickly.Β 

2 hours ago, rehmwa said:

Β 

My last call of "fore" however was the guy in front of me.Β  Blind walk to my drive on a Par 5.Β  I get to my ball and the person in front of me is nowhere to be seen.Β  He was super slow, so I actually drove up a bit to check, and he was not in sight - nor was his cart.Β  I waited a bit longer (slow day and I was happy to laze about on an empty course)....nothing.Β  I hit my layup - while the ball was in the air - the cart comes flying out and across - I was nowhere close, but fly right over him.Β  We laughed about it and played the next few holes together - super nice guy, but he was spending a lot of time in the trees that day though.

I think this has happened to a lot of us. Glad the guy was nice about it. Sometimes when folks are spending a lot of time in the trees they can tend to get a little edgy if you know what I mean.Β 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs.Β 

A mix I am forever tinkering with.Β 

I am with the majority in covering my head and ducking away from the sound of the "fore".Β  Occasionally if I hit an errant shot and it is heading right towards a green or tee I will yell "Fore on the green" or "Fore on the tee".Β  No time to figure out exactly which green or tee but people tend to protect themselves on any green or tee within shouting range.Β  Β 

Note:Β This thread is 1838 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!