IGNORED

What do you do when your driver isn't working?

ChetlovesMer
Note: This thread is 1985 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What do you do when the driver is just not working?  

64 members have voted

1. 1. When your driver is not working for what ever reason what do you do?

• Work through it... Damn, the torpedoes full speed ahead. Keep hitting it on every non-par 3 no matter what.
    • Still use the driver but slow down the swing.
    • Start hitting a move I call a "Bunt Driver" or "Punch Driver", if you've done it, you know what it is.
    • Tee off with a 3 wood, hybrid or iron for the rest of the round.
    • Give up and go home... possibly cry.

As already mentioned, I go with my 3W, and other woods/irons as needed. 

Sometimes I don't even give my driver a chance for me to swing well,  or poorly. I may decide the course I am going to play is not a "driver course" for my particular game. 

I do like the "go fishing" post. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm pretty long with the driver so it can find trouble very quickly even on good shots sometimes. Sometimes I will hit my 3w but usually if I'm actually that bad it will follow the 3w somewhat. Last week I resorted to my 4i which I can take out to about 230 so that worked pretty well. Just recently ordered a 2 iron to tee off with on holes I know I shouldn't use driver.

I keep sorting out the driver but will hit 3 wood on the holes that I can't afford to have a bad drive on. This last weekend I didn't start this soon enough but my driver had been pretty solid in rounds prior so I thought I would get it to come around.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

I picked the second option but its more trying to slow the tempo down.

Usually when the driver fails me my 3 wood is also going to fail me so might as well go down swinging while constantly telling myself to "smooth it."  

Driver - Cleveland CG Black 265
Fairway Wood - Adams Tight Lies 16 Degrees
Hybrids - 18 and 20 Degrees Adams Pro
Irons - 4-PW Adams XTD
Wedges - 52 and 56 degree Cleavland CG16

• Administrator
On 10/11/2018 at 11:56 AM, boogielicious said:

I try to work through it. Most times I have a good idea what is going on and I go back to basics.

That's my answer as well.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I work through it. I know my misses well enough to fix what is wrong most of the time. I don’t normally have big issues with the driver anyway. 

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

This is a frequent issue. Some rounds its money, other rounds its busted. I keep pulling it out, figure eventually it'll get better. Generally it doesn't til I go to the range the next few days after and magically it's back. 

Like with most of my clubs I seem to forget what works sometimes. I *feel* like I'm doing all the right things but the shots aren't good. Then when I get to the range and sort it out I know what I was or wasn't doing. So weird. 

Edited by paulballs

In the bag:

Driver: :tmade: '07 Burner Draw 10.5 
3/4 Hybrid: :adams: Idea a205
Irons: :tmade: Burner Plus  

I think your survey is broken. I didn’t see an option for “deposit in nearest water hazard”😯

I actually just replied to a different post about my driver failing me as I get better with my irons.  Friday I just adjusted my driver up a degree and a half. I usually play a 9* and just haven’t been getting the air time I prefer so went up to 10.5* and it was wonderful. Haven’t used that much loft in quite a while. 

Edited by CaseyD

I try to work through it.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Try to work through it. I may throttle back if there are opportunities but generally if I'm hitting the driver poorly I'm also hitting my other long clubs poorly. 

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Like a fool, I keep playing through it as if my driver is just fine.   I have less of a choice b/c my 3-wood is the most inaccurate club, driver included.   

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

I will keep the headcover on the driver all day if I don't feel comfortable with it. 

Tournament earlier this year I shot 84 and got myself into trouble with the driver. Had it in the bag the next day but didn't pull it once. Hit 3 wood on every non Par 3 hole, shot 76.

- Joel

TM M3 10.5 | TM M3 17 | Adams A12 3-4 hybrid | Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5-PW

Vokey 50/54/60 | Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s | Bridgestone Tour B XS

Home Courses - Willow Run & Bakker Crossing

I will still try to hit it on open holes, but go to my 3 wood and 21 degree hybrid as needed. My new driver is working well though.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Wish I had a good driver alternative, but when I'm duffing the driver I don't do much better with the other clubs in my bag that would be logical alternatives---woods or hybrids. Don't quite know why, could be psychological. Slow down, tell myself to relax my arms, slow backswing and initial downswing, then accelerate and finish swinging out usually works.

Note: This thread is 1985 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!