IGNORED

Paul Azinger to Replace Johnny Miller on NBC

DeadMan
Note: This thread is 1879 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I liked Johnny a lot and I will miss him.  When the U.S. Open went to Fox, I really missed him.  I'm sorry that NBC is going with Zinger.  He says one platitude after another and I find him tedious.  I'm a fan of Justin Leonard's skills as an announcer.  And, of course, Tom Weiskopf.  For me, they would have been great picks.  (Feherty isn't available, but he would be my 1st choice.)

At one point Johnny Miller was easily the best color man in golf. But he's gotten lazy in his old age, and his insistence on explaining every poor shot late in a tournament by citing nerves has become tiresome. Azinger is a good replacement.

Edited by Aguirre

"Witty golf quote."

• 1 month later...
  • Administrator
brandel-chamblee.jpg

In a story in the Global Golf Post, Brandel Chamblee said he would have taken Johnny Miller's job in the NBC booth if it was offered. Paul Azinger eventually filled the role. “I like who they hired," Chamblee said. "I think he...

“I like who they hired,” Chamblee said. “I think he was the best choice. I think he was the best man for the job. If they had asked me to do the job, I would have done it. But doing what I do, I think it’s the best gig in golf.”

If what he's doing is the best gig in golf, why would he have done it if they'd asked?

That makes sense. 🙂

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 3 weeks later...
  • Thumbs Up 1

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Not sure if I read this right..So Johnny's last day is Saturday? He's not doing the telecast on Sunday? Is Azinger in on Sunday?

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

• Administrator
46 minutes ago, Bucki1968 said:

Not sure if I read this right..So Johnny's last day is Saturday? He's not doing the telecast on Sunday? Is Azinger in on Sunday?

I think so.

It makes sense - Johnny can then retire without detracting from the finish of the tournament.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On 11/5/2018 at 9:03 PM, Aces Wild said:

Not a Zinger fan would prefer Frank Nobilo if he is a possible.

Frank Nobilo?! That dude's as dry as dust! 

On 11/7/2018 at 2:24 AM, Herkimer said:

I liked Johnny a lot and I will miss him.  When the U.S. Open went to Fox, I really missed him.  I'm sorry that NBC is going with Zinger.  He says one platitude after another and I find him tedious.  I'm a fan of Justin Leonard's skills as an announcer.  And, of course, Tom Weiskopf.  For me, they would have been great picks.  (Feherty isn't available, but he would be my 1st choice.)

Now that Zinger is in the catbird seat, let's see if his commentary changes at all. Justin Leonard is a snooze, and Weiskopf, while a great course designer, is a whiny, privileged crybaby! 

And why wouldn't Feherty be available? He works for NBC just like Miller did. As much as I like him, I don't think he's the guy to shoulder the main load. He's better as a hole commentator and general sideshow. 

I think Azinger did a fine job on Sunday. I hardly noticed him, and that’s usually a good trait in a commentator. I’m sure he will be just fine. 

1 hour ago, HJJ003 said:

I think Azinger did a fine job on Sunday. I hardly noticed him, and that’s usually a good trait in a commentator. I’m sure he will be just fine. 

Gotta say I agree with that.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Note: This thread is 1879 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!