IGNORED

Looking for a New Golf Ball

Note: This thread is 1641 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

Vice, Snell, Cut, OnCore and Pearl.. All premium balls for a decent price!

• Like 1

In my bag:

Driver: Taylormade RBZ TP  10.5*, 3-Wood: Taylormade RBZ Stage 2 TP 15*, Hybrid: Taylormade RBZ 22*, Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5- 53*, Wedges: Cleveland RTX 56* & 60*, Putter: Odyssey Versa #7, Ball: Pearl Golf Pure Pro

Bags: Pearl Golf Liberty Stand Bag & Titleist StaDry Cartbag

• 5 months later...
(edited)

For those who may still be interested...

From my testing last year, I decided to play the Srixon Q-Star tour and played them through May of this year. When those balls ran out I decided to try our a couple of other golf balls and see how they performed. So I ordered two 2-dozen packs of the Kirkland Signature 3-piece ball and two dozen Snell MTB Black golf balls.

Last week I took 2 Q-star tours, 2 Snell MTB Blacks, 2 K-Sig 3-piece, and one ProV1 (which I found on the course earlier that day) out to the Executive 9-hole course where I volunteer and put them head-to head in several situations.

Situation 1: 50-yard pitch shot with 58-degree wedge to an elevated green with a false front and the pin located in the middle at the edge of the false front. I hit five rounds of shots (35 shots total)

Situation 2: 115-yard par three with a bunker at 95-yards with a 50 degree wedge. Also five rounds of shots.

Situation 3: Short chip shots on the 115-yard par 3. Downhill, from the top of the bunker, and essentially all over.

Situation 4: Driver off elevated tee box on a straight, rather narrow par 5. Two rounds of shots.

The Kirkland Ball - This ball spins a lot!!!! With my short irons and wedges, I tend to spin the back significantly. I have had several shots when I have spun the back off the green. The higher spin seems to translate throughout the bag. The ball is generally shorter than each ball I have directly compared it with (Q-Star Tour, MTB Black, ProV1, and ProV1x). I have also noticed my "draw" (read hook) is more pronounced with the K-Sig 3-piece. I like the feel of the ball and it putts and chips well. I actually prefer this ball from within 50-yards because of it high spin. I have started deploying the ball on short par threes with the pin toward the front of the green. It gives me confidence that I can hit a shot toward the middle/back of the green and the ball will stop and spin back toward the front of the green.

The Snell MTB Black: A great ball all around ball. The MTB black spun "an appropriate amount" for my swing. All the pitch, chip, and 100-yard shots either stopped just past it's pitch mark or spun back shortly, but always within about two feet. The distance off the driver and other clubs was as long or longer then the ProV1 and longer than the Q-Star Tour and K-Sig 3-piece. On the short chips and pitches the ball spins enough to allow me to be aggressive in those shots and not worry about the ball running too far away. I really like this ball and at this point it is the ball I plan on playing this year.

ProV1: Performed exactly as expected. There is a reason this ball is the benchmark in golf. It is the Goldilocks ball. Not too much or too little spin, Great distance, easily controllable on chips and pitches. Were this ball not $50 a dozen, It would be the ball I choose. But I get the same performance from the MTB Black and < $30 a ball.

Q-Star Tour: Easily the lowest spin and shortest distance (except for K-Sig and not by very much < 5 yards). A very good ball, and one I enjoyed playing. But each of the other balls outperformed it.

So there are the results of my most recent testing. I hit a lot of shots some very good and some very bad. This isn't meant to be anything scientific or even applicable to anyone other than me. For now, I'll be playing the MTB Black on everything other than short par 3 with a middle front pin location, then I'll play the K-Sigs until I exhaust the supply. At that point I will not be repurchasing the K-Sigs. When I find a ProV1 or V1-X I'll play those as well. I plan to buy some of the MTB Black-X and see how they do. At this point in my journey, I am losing balls much less frequently so it may be awhile until I need to purchase more balls and get to test the Black-X. When I do I will test it in a similar fashion.

Thanks for reading.

Edited by Sean_D
  • Like 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 10/24/2018 at 11:56 AM, Sean_D said:

I played a round Monday with a found Titleist Pro V1X. I shot well (9-strokes better than my previous best at that course). I felt the Pro V1X spun a little too much for my swing. Shots I normally hit 150 yards were traveling 140 or less. The ball seemed to fly a bit higher than my usual 3-piece TF Gamer. I liked the V1X off the driver. It has a really good feel and I hit my normal distances. 

I was gifted three sleeves of V1Xs and will play them just to be sure this one round was not a fluke. But I think it is confirmation that a 4-piece ball is not for me, at least with my current irons. 

Try regular Pro V1. Pro V1X are for faster swing speeds. Pro V1 also has less spin. 

I'm really enjoying the new ProV1x in yellow.  Ball speed is good and the ball really zips on those 50 y pitch shots when executed properly. 

Played Bridgestone, Nike RZN, NXT Tour, etc in yellow in year's past.  I want to try out the Snell MTBx in yellow sometime.

• 4 weeks later...

How much difference is there between the Bridgestone e6 and e12?

Golf is good. The Grint User name = Ballgame59

:ping: Karsen Zing Orange dot 4-W,  :mizuno:  JPX 900 D,3W,4&5H,  :titleist: Vokey SM4 56,  Ray Cook M1 Mallet, :bridgestone: e12

:adidas:  Tech Response. Any glove'll do.

On 7/20/2019 at 3:11 PM, txgolfer45 said:

Take a serious look at the Kirkland Signature 3 piece with urethane cover.  It flat out performs.  Two dozen for $24.  Your search is over.

I have been playing out the 4 dozen K-Sig 3-Piece balls during my non-competitive rounds. I still find they spin more than other 3-piece balls. They are a decent ball. I like the MTB Black better. My next Snell purchase is going to be 3 dozen MTB Black and 2 dozen MTB X.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/24/2018 at 2:47 PM, chazza said:

Quite. No 24 handicapper on earth plays like that.

LOL!!! Im back up to a 24 handicap and I play like that!!! Its just that on the next hole I take an 9, then a 7, and then make a birdie. Thats golf!!

As for getting back on topic, I have seen very good results with the Srixon q star Tour. They are also available in yellow which I prefer and widely available everywhere for under 30 bucks a dozen. FYI, don’t really like Srixon but the Q Star Tour is quickly changing my mind.

I went ahead and reordered Vice Pro Plus balls again, this time in the green they didn't have two years ago when I ordered my last 5 dozen.  Hopefully these last even longer with the improvements I'm seeing in my game.

Woods: Ping G15 10.5* Draw Driver;   Ping G Series 14.5* 3 Wood;  Callaway 2019 Apex 19* 3 Hybrid

Irons: Mizuno MP-33 4-PW

Wedges: Ping Glide 1.0 52* SS, Glide Stealth 2.0 56* ES, Hogan 60* SW

Edel E-1 Putter

• 1 month later...

Pretty cool video I saw that breaks down various golf balls by driver swing speeds and with irons and wedges.

I had been using cheap Srixon AD333 balls, which actually tested pretty well for a 2 piece and was looking to switch to a better ball now that I am getting better.  

Ended up going with the Snell MTB-X and really like the way they play, very accurate and best of all under $30 a dozen if you buy 5 boxes at a time.

Edited by Inferno2ss

Note: This thread is 1641 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!