Papa Steve 55

Touching the Line of a Putt

7 posts / 1736 viewsLast Reply

I saw it happen this past weekend. We had two man teams best ball. One of guys on the other team was lining up a 15 footer for birdie on the #2 stroke hole. His partner came over and, unsolicited, said ‘hit this line’ and put the toe of his putter on the green. The poor guy putting dropped his head, sighed and picked his ball up. His partner was in tight for bogey already. It’s almost not fair, but it was a team event. Learn the rules.

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

6 hours ago, Papa Steve 55 said:

I saw it happen this past weekend. We had two man teams best ball. One of guys on the other team was lining up a 15 footer for birdie on the #2 stroke hole. His partner came over and, unsolicited, said ‘hit this line’ and put the toe of his putter on the green. The poor guy putting dropped his head, sighed and picked his ball up. His partner was in tight for bogey already. It’s almost not fair, but it was a team event. Learn the rules.

Not only is there a penalty for touching the line of putt but also for touching the green to indicate the line of putt, whether on the line or not.

8-2b When the player's ball is on the putting green, the line of putt may be indicated before, but not during, the stroke by the player, his partner or either of their caddies; in doing so the putting green must not be touched.

8 hours ago, Papa Steve 55 said:

Despite the fact there was an infraction, I am just glad the guy he was playing with knew the rule well enough to accept the fact there was a penalty and not try and argue it. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, Martyn W said:

Not only is there a penalty for touching the line of putt but also for touching the green to indicate the line of putt, whether on the line or not.

8-2b When the player's ball is on the putting green, the line of putt may be indicated before, but not during, the stroke by the player, his partner or either of their caddies; in doing so the putting green must not be touched.

16-1a only applies to the player, this case applied to his partner.

On 10/16/2018 at 5:22 PM, Rulesman said:

16-1a only applies to the player, this case applied to his partner.

I suppose that, in this case, the team could be considered the player. We've played in lots of scrambles, and have indicated the line of the putt to our partners, but we do not touch the green.

I have seen Tour caddies do the same with the butt end of the flagstick, but they also do not touch the green.

Besides, I'm only trying to suggest a general line, since I have no idea how firmly, or easily, my teammate will stroke the putt.

7 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

I suppose that, in this case, the team could be considered the player.

16-1a is about the player touching the line of his putt.

The rule here that applied here is 8-2b.