IGNORED

My Swing (Slim_Pivot)

Slim_Pivot
Note: This thread is 778 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Slim_Pivot said:

I currently have no priority piece and am just practicing my moves. I’m hitting the ball well and trying to knock the rust off/score better. Last 2 rounds I shot 79/80 and they were disgraceful with how well I’m hitting it. Just rusty and haven’t practiced short game. 

So… you're playing well (full swing) right now?

And the bit about your ankle…? The left knee continues to extend as the hips tuck forward and up.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just now, iacas said:

So… you're playing well (full swing) right now?

And the bit about your ankle…? The left knee continues to extend as the hips tuck forward and up.

Yes very well. Driver is coming around. But I’ve never hit it better. I don’t have to try nearly as hard to hit a good shot. It’s fun!

I can post a video of the drill next time (tomorrow hopefully). Maybe we can see what I’m doing wrong and go from there. Cuz ya it hurts kind of bad, so I do it slow and only do like 10 at a time.

And as far as that knee goes...is that what you want me to do, or is that what I am doing?

12 minutes ago, iacas said:

Never mind. I think I understand. I did a few swings trying what you said. Different feeling, doesn’t hurt, knee goes straight. I’ll post tomorrow or Monday. 

6 hours ago, Slim_Pivot said:

Here’s the pre-shot thing I’ve been doing to keep the club deep in transition and change my path. I do this before every shot. Practice, play, even slow swings in my house. This is what it took for me to change. It wasn’t hard per-say; just beyond continuous. 

I go to the top, bump my hips hard, drop the hands, bow the wrist. All in unison.  Then I trace the balls on the ground while I keep bowing and not releasing the hands. The club is squared by the bowing of the wrist.

Side note: I didn’t realize how awful this looked lol. Or how far I was dipping down. From now on I will try to stay taller while doing this.

Nice this is great, I tried something similar today to this and was totally able to produce a draw instead of my normal slice which is cool!

:whistle:

4 hours ago, jshots said:

Nice this is great, I tried something similar today to this and was totally able to produce a draw instead of my normal slice which is cool!

Awesome man! Happy to help. Biggest problem I had after the change was driver going low. I have to make sure I have proper driver set-up (right leaning A.) and that I hit up on it.

On the bright side, driving irons that are shaped more like irons look really good to my eye now as opposed to a fatter hybrid. I never had the ability to really use them before. I’m anxious to test them. 

Tried to get back to posting up and having a less crumpled follow through. Tried to have the energy flow up my leg and into my torso, it didn’t hurt my ankle.

Posting up into the leg seems to move my path left a bit. I had a hard time staying deep and swing in-to-out while posting up into lead leg.

Had some success at the very end by feeling the exaggerated move I worked on in Feb. when I had way too much shaft lean. So I combined that with the posting up. Will start there next time.

While I work on my current priority piece (follow through), I’m very concerned about losing my depth in transition. I have a couple questions about “what is success”.

1. What is the minimum acceptable depth and steepness of the club? I don’t want to think I’m failing when I’m not, or vise-versa.

2. Should I be striving more more depth and/or less steepness?

3. How do I measure it?

Sorry for being bothersome. Golf is hard, improving at golf is hard too.

2D0A7EE3-5265-4902-A3C6-FD1F5508477C.thumb.png.8c211f987a0f3f30d4181bd356b1a79e.png2EE3CE15-B929-4DEA-AD0B-FAE837A2E0A1.thumb.png.98e6277b855f17bb2aa8ea51c542da88.png

• Administrator

There’s no one answer. Depth is not one of the 5SK® so its not a commonality.

It depends on the individual and the goals and limits and background and more.

You’re welcome to come up for a lesson as always.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, iacas said:

There’s no one answer. Depth is not one of the 5SK® so its not a commonality.

It depends on the individual and the goals and limits and background and more.

You’re welcome to come up for a lesson as always.

Ok great! I have really wanted to come up again. I didn’t want to waste your time because I wasn’t ready or  because I haven’t progressed enough.

Ill plan ahead and let you know asap.

• Administrator

You’re always welcome. If you’re stuck, ready for the next piece, or whatever… You’re the customer and I’m here to help.

Lesson with @iacas 04-25-19

Today's lesson went really well. I've been playing well, but have had a couple issues, and couldn't really "get" my last lesson-Less crumpled follow through, posting up, wrists breaking a tad too early.

We did three things: all in downswing

1. In transition, Fall left like the Leaning Tower of Pisa. 

2. Stay Tall. I've been lowering my head a lot in the downswing and running out of space, I cant get away with it. Tiger Woods, I am not.

3. From P6-P8: Hands go out right, Body turns left, Ball comes out straight-ish It's a feeling that people have while doing this, it seemed to help me out as well042519DTL.thumb.jpg.931ef296a0f1394d7ec89e4d29121b6a.jpg

My butt and left hip don't get closer to the ball on the right. I'm able to stay in my posture, and not as hunchbacked.

042519DTL2.thumb.jpg.f3195ed51ba1a5d0df7e16640b0fa9fa.jpg

We can see me staying in posture much better. Face not flipping. Also a much better pivot through the ball. Note: Can look down target line after impact while still in posture, can help with drills.

042519FO.thumb.jpg.e989bf6f5ae30cda387dcf9d1f41cd9f.jpg
My head still dropped a little too much. But, after falling forward my legs and hips are in a better position, I'm also "covering the ball". 042519FO2.thumb.jpg.51886bc3ad52143f12a367bd2091fff3.jpg

From the position I was in, If I straightened my leg, it applied force backward. Shown by red line pointing in the opposite direction of the target. This is why I failed my priority piece from the previous lesson. The force now moves in a forward direction which helps me pivot through impact when I post up.

This was a very successful lesson, These moves don't seem overly complicated. My biggest worry is losing my depth in transition while doing this, going forward and turning my body left could kick my plane from out to in. 

If I stay deep enough in transition while I do this, it is much easier to SMASH the ball. Feels good, feels really good (Tiger voice) 

• Thumbs Up 1

Today’s practice session.

GOALS: Practice lesson stuff

1. Fall left in transition

2. Keep lead arm depth

3. Stay tall 

DRILL DTL

Fell left ok, lost my height a bit

SWING DTL- 6i

Full swing to see how it would look. I did about 95% drill swings tho.

Really lost my height here. Was able to spend remainder of session focusing on staying tall. It was one too many thoughts early on.

FACE ON DRILL

Ball was on a tee so I didn’t take a divot. Came out a little funny, not concerned there. 

But this was “success” for the day. If there’s a prob there I’m not totally aware of it.

FEELS AND THOUGHTS:

Hit some big hooks later on

Had success later in session concerning hooks by letting the hands drop more in transition (toward ground, down).

Hands felt waaayy quieter through impact

Changing motor patterns is annoying and takes time. I just have to do this drill with 5000 more balls and prob 20000 more times in the house. Hurray

On 4/26/2019 at 7:19 AM, onefortheroad said:

Impressive thread, you've put in some great work with awesome instruction.  I have many of the same faults, thanks for sharing!

Thanks for the kind words! It’s been about 5 months of work so far, I’ve already improved but I’m hoping to improve a lot more in the next 2-3 months.

The keys to my success so far: 

1. The coaching, especially the follow up they give in between lessons.

2. The idea of how to practice. Going at whatever speed you can successfully do the move. And I (try to) define success or failure after every practice ball I hit. There’s a really good thread that I think is titled “change the dang picture” 

You should start your own “my swing” thread and snag one of these coaches even on evolver if you live far away.

Having a ton of trouble right now, I’m all messed up. I can’t quite get the new move right, and I can’t get in position to hit the ball.

It really isn’t lack of focus, I’m just doing something very wrong. But I can’t get it.

Issues are:

very hard to stay tall when falling left.

when staying tall, I have a very hard time staying deep enough, then just swing across it left

cant get in the slot to even do the practice “punch follow through” that we do for practice. 

I watched some earlier successes and pics from the lesson. my “idea” for next time is to be a little steeper (but still deep) in transition. In the lesson, I really felt like I could just smash that ball. That feeling is lost for the moment. 

• Administrator
On 5/6/2019 at 8:06 PM, Slim_Pivot said:

cant get in the slot to even do the practice “punch follow through” that we do for practice. 

That video looks fine… and in the second video, you simply have so much shaft lean you can't literally reach the ball:

01.jpg

On 5/6/2019 at 8:06 PM, Slim_Pivot said:

I watched some earlier successes and pics from the lesson. my “idea” for next time is to be a little steeper (but still deep) in transition. In the lesson, I really felt like I could just smash that ball. That feeling is lost for the moment. 

It is too laid off right now, yes, in that first DL video.

Having a really bad time with this move. Having less shaft lean helped not drive the ball straight into the ground at least.

With every rep of leaning tower of Pisa, I think I’m getting worse. I’m not sure if this is a “pianist slowly playing the song” type of thing either. 

I think I need a work around or a different type of move to accomplish the goal of not getting all stretched out with reverse axis tilt. I can’t move into the slot like I have been so far in our process. I also just can’t swing out to the right while my body goes left. It’s terrible how bad I am at this move. I’m really going slow and practicing right.

I’m seriously dedicated to getting better the right way, so if I have to find a way to hit like this to improve-I’ll keep trying.

Drill:

Swing:

At the end I started trying to move my arms like I did all winter and started to hit the ball well again. I focused on keeping my head just still. Not getting to much axis tilt backward or leaning tower forward- but just “swinging around my spine/head”. My leg seemed to post up without the feeling of locking and unlocking 3 times. Maybe the drills took? 

I got one swing in the dark of it:

Please help lol.

• Administrator

Not sure what exactly you're struggling with. The swings aren't far off. What do you see - in which particular video - that you don't like?

Sometimes sequencing can be weird at slower speeds or with pauses and things.

5 minutes ago, iacas said:

Not sure what exactly you're struggling with. The swings aren't far off. What do you see - in which particular video - that you don't like?

Sometimes sequencing can be weird at slower speeds or with pauses and things.

Thanks for getting back to me. It’s not what I see, I can’t hit the ball-massive problems. I feel out in front of it and yank it low left or hit a skanky fade... Which is crazy because impact felt great during the lesson.

Biggest issue is I completely lose my nice draw, and I can’t find the clubface. It’s  embarrassing how bad I hit it when I try the move In game or practice.

My transition move is very different with the leaning tower than it’s been. It feels blocked from the “drop and bow”-glove logo pointing to the camera, but we did let it be different and steeper in lesson.

When I tried for less shaft lean, I got flippy and it felt very wrong-like not what we’ve been working towards impact wise.

I was thinking really hard trying to remember small details from the lesson today and I had a couple thoughts.

im not looking down the target line post impact like you had me do. I’m gonna try that next, and I was thinking about the alligator arm thing you did, so I’m gonna try to stay taller using that image to see if I can get something to click.

in the short meantime, I just swung like I’ve been swinging and played well today. But the point is to get as good as I can, and I’ll just be inconsistent if I keep that super stretched thing going forever. I don’t play again til tues, so I have some days to get it straight if I can figure it out

Note: This thread is 778 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!